Anticipation

Sladists are media maniacs...I mean lovers. Movies, Books, Music & Sports are all here.

Anticipation

Postby Mbwun » Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:17 pm

It's a moot point that we're all anticipating the upcoming release of RED SNOW, but what other books, movies, DVDs, CDs, concerts, etc. are you anticipating the release of?

I'm well into Robert McCammon's SPEAKS THE NIGHTBIRD now, and considering how much I'm enjoying it, I'd have to say that I'm now anticipating the release of the third Matthew Corbett novel, MISTER SLAUGHTER.

I'm also anticipating Elizabeth Moon's upcoming sequel to THE DEED OF PAKSENARRION ... OATH OF FEALTY.

Moon began her novel writing career with TDOP, and its duology prequels, SURRENDER NONE, and LIAR'S OATH. In them she created a fantasy world every bit as fleshed out as Tolkein did in THE HOBBIT, and LORD OF THE RINGS. TDOP is considered by many to be one of the best post-Tolkein era Fantasy series written.

After writing about Pak's world, Moon went on to write many Sci-Fi novels, OATH OF FEALTY is her first foray back into the world of Fantasy. I have to say that I'm really looking forward to reading up on what's happened in Lyonya, in OATH OF FEALTY, and the two yet unnamed books to follow it.

If you enjoyed LORD OF THE RINGS, give Elizabeth Moon's Fantasy world a try. You may find the prequels weak - especially LIAR'S OATH - but THE DEED OF PAKSENARRION is a wonderul read.
How hard can it be? - Jeremy Clarkson
Make no mistake, this is a Supercar. Looks good .. goes fast .. nothing else matters. - Jeremy Clarkson

AMBITIOUS, BUT RUBBISH!
Mbwun

Postby Hydebound » Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:33 am

I for one can't wait to avoid seeing James Cameron's AVATAR... does that count?
Hydebound

Postby EZ Rhino » Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:19 pm

I had a lot of anticipation built up for Inglourious Basterds because I knew it was going to be released on dvd this week. Sadly, it didn't live up to what I was expecting. I thought that there'd be more combat in it, more action, more blood but it was still good, just not as good as I'd been expecting.

Anticipation.....sometimes the waiting is better.
I wish the media would report more on public service and charity news instead of gossip. It is of much greater value. - Jackie Chan
EZ Rhino

Postby Mbwun » Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:25 pm

AVATAR definitely does count. I know of a number of people who are anticipating it. The clips I've seen on tv look pretty darned good.

Sorry to hear about that EZ. I've had that experience several times.
Make no mistake, this is a Supercar. Looks good .. goes fast .. nothing else matters. - Jeremy Clarkson

AMBITIOUS, BUT RUBBISH!
Mbwun

Postby Mbwun » Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:36 pm

specialx has been posting links to trailers for the CLASH OF THE TITANS remake on his Facebook wall. This film looks to be fantastic ... really looking forward to seeing it on the big screen.

http://www.apple.com/trailers/wb/clashofthetitans/

AMBITIOUS, BUT RUBBISH!
Mbwun

Postby raasnio » Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:42 pm

Mbwun wrote:specialx has been posting links to trailers for the CLASH OF THE TITANS remake on his Facebook wall. This film looks to be fantastic ... really looking forward to seeing it on the big screen.

http://www.apple.com/trailers/wb/clashofthetitans/

I am actually looking forward to it. Updated effects and hopefully a good cast will make it worthwhile.

I'm looking forward to Red Snow, Sherlock Holmes, the next Robert McCammon novel, as well as new albums by Skinny Puppy & Ohgr.

Oh, and have you read the follow-up to Speaks the Nightbird? The Queen of Bedlam? I only ask as you are reading the first in this series and have now mentioned the third book.
raasnio
techno-guru / co-administrator

Postby Mbwun » Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:55 pm

Have not read THE QUEEN OF BEDLAM, but I own a copy of it. Reading it will have to wait until I've read RED SNOW though.

AMBITIOUS, BUT RUBBISH!
Mbwun

Postby PohlSE » Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:24 pm

Looking forward to Red Snow, first and foremost. Also looking forward to the next Dresden Files book Changes by Jim Butcher, I do want to see Avatar since it may be the film to redeem the cinema in my eyes (after the garbage that was foisted upon us under the name Star Trek), Clash of the Titans looks good but I might wait until the Blu-Ray, Ridley Scott's Robin Hood looks awesome... I'll think up some more later.
PohlSE
Webmaster

Postby Mbwun » Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:38 pm

I'm waiting to see what the domestic trailers for Robin Hood look like, as the international one that's online now makes parts of it look a bit too much like Gladiator, Sherwood Forest style.

Don't get me wrong, I love Gladiator. Saw it three times in the theatre, own both the original two-disc DTS encoded DVD, as well as the three-disc Director's Cut - I was just hoping Robin Hood would be something completely new style-wise.

http://www.apple.com/trailers/universal/robinhood/

AMBITIOUS, BUT RUBBISH!
Mbwun

Postby dreab trawets » Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:58 pm

The next Star Trek film, to see how they wind up the purists out there by using their alternate time line.. (Sorry PohlSE but for me it was pure escapism, and a nice reinvention for a new generation)

Clash of the Titans.... yes
Sherlock.....yes
Alice in Wonderland by Tim Burton (march 2010)
The Devil's Graveyard by Anonymous. (book)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ak-JBm9cx4

Nothing really else sticks out, but will always see the trailers and go OOOOOH... must see that...

Oh and some book called Red Snow..
“After my head has been chopped off, will I still be able to hear, at least for a moment , the sound of my own blood gushing from my neck? That would be the best pleasure to end all pleasure. “
dreab trawets

Location: like someone had combined shrimp and tomato soup and then forgot to put the lid on the blender

Postby Mbwun » Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:55 am

Don't bait the author. :wink: :lol:

AMBITIOUS, BUT RUBBISH!
Mbwun

Postby Slade » Fri Dec 18, 2009 4:25 am

A few months back, a question popped into my head: "I wonder what became of Lynda La Plante?"

La Plante was the creative force behind PRIME SUSPECT, the series that revolutionized the Scotland Yard police procedural, just as SILENCE OF THE LAMBS rebooted the FBI thriller.

So I went looking.

In the beginning, there were cop series like DRAGNET and THE NAKED CITY. Basically, they took the case up to arrest. Before long, the lawyer series hit TV in the classic form of PERRY MASON. Basically, that picked the case up at arrest, and carried it through to trial and verdict. But, of course, that's not how it works in real life.

Then, in 1963, ARREST AND TRIAL came along. What that series did was take the case from start to finish: the first half police procedural, and the second half courtroom drama. Today - since 1990 - LAW AND ORDER does the same.

Lynda La Plante followed PRIME SUSPECT with TRIAL AND RETRIBUTION. When we go to the movies, a film is usually two hours long. Why? Because that's how long it takes to tell a decent story. So why does North American TV think a story can be told in 45 minutes, with commercials? It doesn't make sense.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trial_&_Retribution

http://www.itv.com/Drama/copsandcrime/T ... fault.html

You'll note that only the first eight episodes have been released in North America...so I'm anticipating The Third Collection.

If you like your cop and lawyer shows gritty, and as close to how it really is as deep research can make it, go to the library and see if they have T&R in order.

Episode 2 is about as tough as it gets, with a kick in the gut twist at the end.

Slade
Slade

Postby raasnio » Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:06 am

dreab trawets wrote:The next Star Trek film, to see how they wind up the purists out there by using their alternate time line.. (Sorry PohlSE but for me it was pure escapism, and a nice reinvention for a new generation)

I'm a casual StarTrek fan. It's OK. The new film, however, was pretty entertaining for a re-introduction of sorts. I'll catch the next one in theaters for sure. My wife dislikes Star Trek anything but the latest won her over. She liked Abram's version even more than I did.
raasnio
techno-guru / co-administrator

Postby Judy » Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:06 am

Slade wrote:La Plante was the creative force behind PRIME SUSPECT, the series that revolutionized the Scotland Yard police procedural, just as SILENCE OF THE LAMBS rebooted the FBI thriller.
Slade

I rented all the episodes of Prime Suspect that were available . . . I thought it was a really great series . . .

As time marches on . . . TV shows have less and less content and more and more commercials . . . I think when House, M.D. did the season opener this year I sat and timed it . . . for every 7.5 minutes of show . . . there was 3.5 minutes of commercial . . . Soon the actual shows' only purpose will be to provide a break in the commercials . . .
:roll: :shock: :twisted:
Judy

Postby Mbwun » Fri Dec 18, 2009 4:06 pm

Judy wrote:As time marches on . . . TV shows have less and less content and more and more commercials . . .

Tell me about it.

There was a discussion thread over on Fark.com the other day about a broadcast of A CHARLIE BROWN CHRISTMAS on one of the American networks recently. The show is 25 minutes long, timed that way to be able to fit in a half hour broadcast with commercial breaks, that is, at the time that it was first created.

These days, a half hour show is usually more like 22 minutes, with 8 minutes of commercials, so they edited scenes out of the broadcast in order to be able to fit it into the alloted time. Seems they edited out many of the most important scenes in the show, such as the scenes that really drive home the message that Charles Schultz was trying to get across - that being his disdain for the commercialization of Christmas.

A bit ironic, and I can't help feeling that it was intentional, that that was what was cut in order to fit in more commercials.

AMBITIOUS, BUT RUBBISH!
Mbwun

Next

Return to Multi-Media