Anticipation

Sladists are media maniacs...I mean lovers. Movies, Books, Music & Sports are all here.

Re: Anticipation

Postby Slade » Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:46 pm

Slade

Postby Mbwun » Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:37 am

Slade,

Something to consider adding to one of those stacks when it comes out later on this month:

http://www.amazon.com/I-Claudius-Sian-P ... 479&sr=1-1

I'm seriously considering springing for a copy of it myself.
How hard can it be? - Jeremy Clarkson
Make no mistake, this is a Supercar. Looks good .. goes fast .. nothing else matters. - Jeremy Clarkson

AMBITIOUS, BUT RUBBISH!
Mbwun

Postby Slade » Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:31 pm

Mbwun,

I saw it way back when. And you're right...well worth a revisit.

That's also a great candidate for jellybelly's and my discussion about KIDNAPPED, etc. Print, then visuals.

Read I, CLAUDIUS, then watch the series. That fills in another must-read gap:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I,_Claudius

Quote: In 1998 the Modern Library ranked I, Claudius fourteenth on its list of the 100 best English-language novels of the 20th century. In 2005, the novel was chosen by TIME magazine as one of the one hundred best English-language novels from 1923 to present.

Slade
Slade

Postby Slade » Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:31 pm

Look at this. Anthony Hopkins as Alfred Hitchcock. Helen Mirren will play Alma, his wife:

http://entertainment.msnbc.msn.com/_new ... hcock?lite
Slade

Postby EZ Rhino » Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:57 am

Heh heh! When I first saw a similiar announcement on fark or metafilter, I thought it said Anthony Perkins as Alfred Hitchcock. I thought, "He really aged badly!" :scared0:
I wish the media would report more on public service and charity news instead of gossip. It is of much greater value. - Jackie Chan
EZ Rhino

Postby Slade » Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:28 pm

As you know from DEATH'S DOOR, PSYCHO is the movie where Hitch went nuts.

After all those years of obsessively building blondes up into fantasy Ice Queens (only to have them desert him for matinee idol Italians, princes, and such), he spent the rest of his life mutilating them in his films, the worst of which was what he did to Tipi Hedren in THE BIRDS.

It got so warped that Ed McBain had to pull the ripcord while scripting MARNIE.

Like the story of Truman Capote writing IN COLD BLOOD, the story behind the story is as interesting as what hit the market out front.

With a cast like that, I suspect they'll get it right.

Slade
Slade

Postby Slade » Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:28 pm

As you know from DEATH'S DOOR, PSYCHO is the movie where Hitch went nuts.

After all those years of obsessively building blondes up into fantasy Ice Queens (only to have them desert him for matinee idol Italians, princes, and such), he spent the rest of his life mutilating them in his films, the worst of which was what he did to Tipi Hedren in THE BIRDS.

It got so warped that Ed McBain had to pull the ripcord while scripting MARNIE.

Like the story of Truman Capote writing IN COLD BLOOD, the story behind the story is as interesting as what hit the market out front.

With a cast like that, I suspect they'll get it right.

Slade
Slade

Postby Mbwun » Tue May 29, 2012 12:42 am

Finally some word on the sequel to Tim Willocks's novel, THE RELIGION, titled TWELVE CHILDREN OF PARIS.

Last Fall, Willocks commented on photo he posted to his Facebook page to say that he was almost finished the book, and today I find a blog post that author John Connolly made on April 14 to say that he had the opportunity to meet Mr. Willocks, and that the book was finished, and should be out later this year.

I am so looking forward to the book - THE RELIGION is one of the best novels I have ever read. I think it would appeal to many of my fellow Sladists too.

And here's a bit about TWELVE CHILDREN OF PARIS, from an interview with Tim Willocks:

Twelve Children takes place during 36 hours covering the prelude and first day of the Massacre of Saint Bartholomew. It’s a portrait of the kind of human hell that we continue to create to this day – mass murder, the unleashing of repressed rage, the use of that rage by the power elites for their own narrow political gain. It was strange while writing it to find the Libyan ‘war’ reflecting many of the same issues. The massacre in Paris was particular, but its significance is universal and, it seems, eternal.

I had the title long before I had a story – it was pure instinct. On many occasions I cursed it, because I did not know who the 12 were, and it’s a lot of characters to create and weave together. ‘Why not six children ?’ I would ask myself. ‘Why not change the title ?’ But I stayed true to the title, almost superstitiously – there was some magic in it – and in the end it paid of in what I think is a spectacular and heart-rending fashion.

Source: http://www.unwalkers.com/interview-with ... llocks-vo/

Definitely sounds like it may be right up a lot of Sladist's alleys too.
Make no mistake, this is a Supercar. Looks good .. goes fast .. nothing else matters. - Jeremy Clarkson

AMBITIOUS, BUT RUBBISH!
Mbwun

Postby Mbwun » Sat Jun 02, 2012 5:19 pm

I'm not sure that I'd put myself into the category of anticipating this, but I'm sure there are those here that are. An advance review of Ridley Scott's PROMETHEUS:

http://www.hitfix.com/motion-captured/r ... s-up-short

AMBITIOUS, BUT RUBBISH!
Mbwun

Postby dlsevern » Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:51 pm

What I'm anticipating:
Doctor Sleep, it's a sequel to The Shining.
The Hobbit movies
new IT adaptation
The Ten O'clock People movie
dlsevern

Postby dlsevern » Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:26 pm

I forgot The Dark Knight Rises.
dlsevern

Postby Judy » Sun Jun 17, 2012 2:13 am

Hi disevern . . . is that IT adaptation a remake of the TV movie of S. King's IT??????? I have that on DVD and all these years later it's still pretty good. Except for the character of the spider which I didn't think was as scary as the book. :scared0: :scared0:
An archaeologist is the best husband any woman can have: the older she gets, the more interested he is in her.
Agatha Christie
Judy

Postby dlsevern » Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:14 am

That would be the one Judy. It will be two full length films, I'm hoping they follow the novel much closer.
dlsevern

Postby Judy » Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:34 am

dlsevern wrote:That would be the one Judy. It will be two full length films, I'm hoping they follow the novel much closer.

I'm sure that nowadays with CGI . . . it will be beyond anything you could imagine just in reading the book. I find that the mind can envision things much better than a movie screen . . . :twisted: :twisted:
An archaeologist is the best husband any woman can have: the older she gets, the more interested he is in her.
Agatha Christie
Judy

Postby jellybelly » Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:41 am

Judy wrote:
dlsevern wrote:That would be the one Judy. It will be two full length films, I'm hoping they follow the novel much closer.

I'm sure that nowadays with CGI . . . it will be beyond anything you could imagine just in reading the book. I find that the mind can envision things much better than a movie screen . . . :twisted: :twisted:

Was that the one with Tim Curry as that clown / demon ? If so he was pretty good in it, maybe he should come back ? Is the book worth the read ? I ask because my Stephen King reading experience has only gone as far as Pet Semetary and Cujo.
jellybelly

PreviousNext

Return to Multi-Media