Anticipation

Sladists are media maniacs...I mean lovers. Movies, Books, Music & Sports are all here.

Re: Anticipation

Postby dlsevern » Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:38 pm

IT is my favorite King novel, in fact it is my favorite novel period. There is so much missing from the miniseries and yes that was Tim Curry as Pennywise the Dancing Clown/IT. Did you like Pet Semetary?
dlsevern
 
Posts: 57
Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:11 pm

Re: Anticipation

Postby jellybelly » Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:53 pm

dlsevern wrote:IT is my favorite King novel, in fact it is my favorite novel period. There is so much missing from the miniseries and yes that was Tim Curry as Pennywise the Dancing Clown/IT. Did you like Pet Semetary?


Ok, well i am always on the look out for other things to read so i might just get IT, get it ho,ho, ahem... :oops:

Yes from what i remember of it i enjoyed Pet Semetary.
User avatar
jellybelly
 
Posts: 230
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:39 pm

Re: Anticipation

Postby Judy » Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:53 am

I've read most of what King has put out . . . I was running neck-to-neck with him and Dean Koontz for a long time. My biggest complaint is that most of the times they made a movie from King's books . . . some idiot decided that the ending had to be changed . . . CUJO (the movie) was the last straw and I never watched another film made from his works. I find that reading a book is a lot more exciting than watching a movie . . . as I've said before . . . your brain and imagination can be a lot scarier than watching a film or TV show. Tim Curry is getting kind of long-in-the-tooth . . . I don't know if he'd want to play that role again?????
I'll be showing my age here . . . but if you stick around long enough it seems as though Hollywood does a lot more re-cycling of previous material than it does in coming up with something new . . . too bad because there are some very creative people . . . but that talent seems to be lost . . . .
Of King's later stuff . . . I really liked CELL . . . if you can find a copy or get it from the library . . it's worth a read.
:twisted: :twisted:
An archaeologist is the best husband any woman can have: the older she gets, the more interested he is in her.
Agatha Christie
User avatar
Judy
 
Posts: 384
Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2005 7:52 pm
Location: USA

Re: Anticipation

Postby jellybelly » Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:16 am

Judy wrote:I've read most of what King has put out . . . I was running neck-to-neck with him and Dean Koontz for a long time. My biggest complaint is that most of the times they made a movie from King's books . . . some idiot decided that the ending had to be changed . . . CUJO (the movie) was the last straw and I never watched another film made from his works. I find that reading a book is a lot more exciting than watching a movie . . . as I've said before . . . your brain and imagination can be a lot scarier than watching a film or TV show. Tim Curry is getting kind of long-in-the-tooth . . . I don't know if he'd want to play that role again?????
I'll be showing my age here . . . but if you stick around long enough it seems as though Hollywood does a lot more re-cycling of previous material than it does in coming up with something new . . . too bad because there are some very creative people . . . but that talent seems to be lost . . . .
Of King's later stuff . . . I really liked CELL . . . if you can find a copy or get it from the library . . it's worth a read.
:twisted: :twisted:


I have Cujo on disc somewhere, still haven't watched it though. I read those two books way back when i started reading seriously so am quite hazy. I agree that books are better than the films although it is nice to see certain things on the screen such as Lord of the rings and so on. Age doesn't come into it Judy ha,ha but yes i feel most film makers have run out of ideas and there are too many re-imaginings, i mean come on get some of the Slade books made into film or TV programmes...i am sick of some of the things they make nowadays, such a waste of money, hell, they have even brought back that inane programme on UK tv called Primeval... :ire:
User avatar
jellybelly
 
Posts: 230
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:39 pm

Re: Anticipation

Postby Judy » Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:33 pm

I spent the morning wandering through the Project Guttenberg website where books are being added daily of material that is no longer copyrighted and are converted to plain ASCII code to be available to be read on many devices. It's been awhile since I had visited there . . . they have made great improvements!!! I downloaded some Ambrose Bierce, Charles Dickens, and a 5 volume edition of the works of Edgar A. Poe . . . all for FREE!!!!!!!! They have gotten so good that they now have a lot of formats that can be downloaded directly to your mobil device . . . and you can choose the software reader that you want to view them in.

They even have books translated into other languages. They are the people that got me interested in eBooks some 12 years ago. All of this effort is provided by volunteers who donate their time to scan and edit every selection. They have people checking copyright status so there are no legal problems. And they are always looking for volunteers!!!!!! So if you're looking for something to read and have a cell phone, Kindle, Nook, or KOBO reader or software on your computer . . . this is the place to go for FREE stuff.
:thnx: :thnx: :thnx:
An archaeologist is the best husband any woman can have: the older she gets, the more interested he is in her.
Agatha Christie
User avatar
Judy
 
Posts: 384
Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2005 7:52 pm
Location: USA

Re: Anticipation

Postby PohlSE » Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:17 pm

I've become so jaded about movies that I almost don't "anticipate" them anymore. I just see what interests me here and there... Which is a bummer because I used to love going to the movies.

Yet here is one that seems to have hooked me from the trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PifvRiHVSCY&feature=player_embedded

I hate remakes and DESPISE WITH ALL MY SOUL reboots! But this appears to hit all the high notes from the comics!
User avatar
PohlSE
Webmaster
 
Posts: 837
Joined: Sun Apr 03, 2005 5:15 pm
Location: Dallas, Tx.

Re: Anticipation

Postby jellybelly » Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:25 am

PohlSE wrote:I've become so jaded about movies that I almost don't "anticipate" them anymore. I just see what interests me here and there... Which is a bummer because I used to love going to the movies.

Yet here is one that seems to have hooked me from the trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PifvRiHVSCY&feature=player_embedded

I hate remakes and DESPISE WITH ALL MY SOUL reboots! But this appears to hit all the high notes from the comics!


I agree, nothing really makes me go "oh yeh" any more, well The Avengers did a little bit. That trailer looks pretty good, a brave move by the studio too to make it an R / 18, we'll see what the censors make of it before it comes here to the UK. It does seem a bit like The Raid though ? Anyway it's got to be better than Stallone's Dread :mrgreen:
User avatar
jellybelly
 
Posts: 230
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:39 pm

Re: Anticipation

Postby Slade » Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:20 pm

I feel the same way you do.

When I was a boy, the Thursday newspaper brought me a full page of ads on the new shows opening the next day. Oh, the excitement! The monsters were fresh and original - THE FLY, PSYCHO, PEEPING TOM, HORRORS OF THE BLACK MUSEUM - and they jumped me from the page. Most I had no idea were coming, and I could hardly wait for school to end the next day to jump the bus down to Theater Row, or rope my uncle (ten years older) into taking me to the restricted ones.

Everything today feels same old, same old...and I refuse to mortgage my home to go sit in front of yobs who talk and yuk nonstop through the show.

Slade
User avatar
Slade
 
Posts: 3073
Joined: Sun Apr 03, 2005 12:42 am

Re: Anticipation

Postby jellybelly » Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:00 pm

Slade wrote:I feel the same way you do.

When I was a boy, the Thursday newspaper brought me a full page of ads on the new shows opening the next day. Oh, the excitement! The monsters were fresh and original - THE FLY, PSYCHO, PEEPING TOM, HORRORS OF THE BLACK MUSEUM - and they jumped me from the page. Most I had no idea were coming, and I could hardly wait for school to end the next day to jump the bus down to Theater Row, or rope my uncle (ten years older) into taking me to the restricted ones.

Everything today feels same old, same old...and I refuse to mortgage my home to go sit in front of yobs who talk and yuk nonstop through the show.

Slade


Yes nothing feels original any more plus because of mass marketing campaigns the films are shown to much, all these TV spots and trailers give too much away nowadays.

I know i said it before but i really don't understand why people pay money to just talk through and spoil the film for other people. I can appreciate the odd gesticulation of what you are seeing on the screen or a scream or gasp in awe but to comment and make noises EVERY single time gets annoying fast :evil:
User avatar
jellybelly
 
Posts: 230
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:39 pm

Re: Anticipation

Postby jellybelly » Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:49 pm

Oh and finally finished 'IT' and look forward to the films that are being made :mrgreen:
User avatar
jellybelly
 
Posts: 230
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:39 pm

Re: Anticipation

Postby EZ Rhino » Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:44 pm

Prometheus is being released on dvd this friday. Been looking forward to that for a couple of weeks now.
I wish the media would report more on public service and charity news instead of gossip. It is of much greater value. - Jackie Chan
User avatar
EZ Rhino
 
Posts: 415
Joined: Wed May 11, 2005 9:55 pm
Location: Beggar's Canyon

Re: Anticipation

Postby dlsevern » Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:06 am

Hey Rhino, :idea: , some info I recently learned about that you might find interesting. There is an old science fiction movie called Planet of the Vampires and directed by Mario Bava (Black Sunday, Black Sabbath, Blood and Black Lace, Twitch of the Death Nerve) that has a direct influence on Prometheus. Its an old one, so the effects are pretty outdated and its dubbed in English but talk about some great atmosphere and original look, give it a try, you just may really enjoy yourself.
dlsevern
 
Posts: 57
Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:11 pm

Re: Anticipation

Postby EZ Rhino » Wed May 29, 2013 4:32 am

Looking forward to the release of World War Zed. Zee. Zee. Sorry, that's the canadian in me coming out. I was initially disappointed that it won't be exactly the same as the book with it's myriad of stories but I generally like what Brad Pitt does in his movies. Wonder if they'll have The Battle of Yonkers in there. Hope so. Been awhile since I was anticipating a good zombie movie. I think 2004's Dawn of the Dead with Sarah Polley was the last time I looked forward to a zombie movie.
I wish the media would report more on public service and charity news instead of gossip. It is of much greater value. - Jackie Chan
User avatar
EZ Rhino
 
Posts: 415
Joined: Wed May 11, 2005 9:55 pm
Location: Beggar's Canyon

Re: Anticipation

Postby raasnio » Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:27 pm

The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug

Will definitely be seeing it opening weekend.
The most merciful thing in the world... is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. - H. P. Lovecraft
User avatar
raasnio
techno-guru / co-administrator
 
Posts: 887
Joined: Sun Apr 03, 2005 2:24 am
Location: KC, MO

Re: Anticipation

Postby Mbwun » Wed Dec 04, 2013 4:00 am

TBLightning492 informed me via Facebook of a film being released in February of 2014, by Christophe Gans, the director responsible for The Brotherhood of the Wolf. It's an adaptation of one of the earliest versions of Beauty and the Beast.

So far, no word on when, or if it will be in theatres here, but the trailer is certainly fantastic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwTU_-UpU9g

As you can see, Vincent Cassel, who was also in The Brotherhood of the Wolf stars in it.

I'm certainly going to keep my eyes open, in hopes that a subtitled version of it winds up in theatres here.

Here's a link to the poster for it:

http://www.cinematon.fr/wp-content/uplo ... entive.jpg

The costumes look exquisite!

Image
How hard can it be? - Jeremy Clarkson
Make no mistake, this is a Supercar. Looks good .. goes fast .. nothing else matters. - Jeremy Clarkson

Image
AMBITIOUS, BUT RUBBISH!
User avatar
Mbwun
 
Posts: 2957
Joined: Sun Apr 03, 2005 1:41 am
Location: The left coast of Canada

PreviousNext

Return to Multi-Media

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], Majestic-12 [Bot] and 1 guest

cron