Good Films

Sladists are media maniacs...I mean lovers. Movies, Books, Music & Sports are all here.

Good Films

Postby Slade » Sun Apr 03, 2005 6:22 pm

Last night, I watched SAW, and I think it's a good thriller. Twists and dread. That's what I like. There are so few movies these days that I actually want to see, and most disappoint. So it was satisfying to view a film that had thought behind the script, intriguing camera work, and a score that keeps you on edge.

Also, I recently rewatched IN THE HEAT OF THE NIGHT. Because that film was made in 1967, it is likely that some of you have never seen it. We have a tendency to focus on what is current (and, consequently, have to wade through a lot of dreck), while overlooking works that have stood the test of time.

So, if you haven't seen that classic film, check it out, and concentrate on the performance by Rod Steiger. And since you'll have to take a trip to the video store, if you want a "linked" double bill like Zinc Chandler and Alex Hunt would have watched, also take home THE BADGE with Billy Bob Thornton.

Those two films are sneaky whodunits. Both will probably trick you.

Slade
Slade

Re: Good Films

Postby moonflee » Sun Apr 03, 2005 9:14 pm

Slade wrote:Also, I recently rewatched IN THE HEAT OF THE NIGHT. Because that film was made in 1967, it is likely that some of you have never seen it. We have a tendency to focus on what is current (and, consequently, have to wade through a lot of dreck), while overlooking works that have stood the test of time.

I just love IN THE HEAT OF THE NIGHT. It's amazing to me how many "classic" movies my contemporaries haven't seen, but they'll be the first ones in line to rent WITHOUT A PADDLE. Many don't even know about certain movies. When they say they watched THE LADYKILLERS with Tom Hanks I ask if they have seen the original from 1955 with Alec Guiness and Peter Sellers - they usually have no idea what I am talking about.

Then again that is the story of my life: Have you read Michael Slade? Who? - Have you heard the debut album by Rachal Yamagata? What are you talking about? - Oh well it's fun being different.
moonflee

Postby TBLightning492 » Sun Apr 03, 2005 9:29 pm

Rachal Yamagata - now there's a good album. What was it called, Happstenence, or something weird. I was talking to someone about Madeleine Peyroux's latest album and they mentioned Yamagata, so I gave it a listen. I definately was impressed.

Ah, Guiness and Sellers...what a pairing...that was a good movie. Watching my grandfather laugh during the scene with the horse and cart blocking traffic is still one of my fondest memories of childhood. That, and listening to him talk about being thrown into the brig for shore leave antics while serving in the navy during WWII.
TBLightning492

Postby steelclaw32 » Sun Apr 03, 2005 9:37 pm

Slade, In The Heat Of The Night was an absolute classic. It can STILL and does have the power to hit and HARD. And your so right in your assessment of Rod Steiger and I think Mr. Sidney Poitier gave a hand sweating performance as his Det. Virgil Tibbs felt 'The Heat' from just about every where and one.

And really has not lost it's resonance ...Even now.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0061811/

Haven't YET seen SAW. Sounds good thanks for that :P 8)
steelclaw32
There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy. Hamlet: Act 1, Scene 5.
steelclaw32

SAW

Postby Cawdorgraves » Mon Apr 04, 2005 6:00 am

How strange Slade that we were thinking on the same wave length.

Tha movie is such a great flick from a sound scape, imagery - I love the puppet on the tricycle, and especially I dig the death crimes. Very Methodical. And who can complain about the ending. A second viewing only makes it that much better.

Now with regards to the puppets - I have just watched all 3 Poltergist movies. Man oh man that clown still freaks me out!!!! And that short women is still a lil eerie. Anyone else find classic 80's horror films still bring them memories. The other thing about the Clown is it seems to carry over to any freaky clown - IT down int he drain with the balloon was creepy too.

jC
------------------------------------------
D E F O R M A T O R Y
In The Wake Of Pestilence
https://deformatory.bigcartel.com
Cawdorgraves

Postby Starra » Mon Apr 04, 2005 6:25 am

I'm feeling kind of special right now, because I've seen both In the Heat of the Night, and the original The Ladykillers.

Last movie night I did, was a late night quadrouple feature that started out with Bogart and Bacall in "The Big Sleep". Then it moved on to "The Postman Always Rings Twice", with that bombshell Lana Turner and James Garfield.

Then Barbara Stanwyck and Fred (My Three Sons) MacMurray plot a careful murder in Double Indemnity.

To close this feature presentation was the next great Bogart and Bacall film "Key Largo". But by that time it was approaching 5 AM, and I really couldn't make it. But I was valiant in the attempt.

I was looking over the links that Eric posted in the other thread about upcoming movies, and I found only two that I was at interested in seeing. One, "The Chronicles of Narnia" has only just entered post-production and is being CGId as we speak. No release date.

The second is the sequel to "Se7en". Which I think should be called "Four14en". It's in development hell at this point, and has no projected filming date, let alone a release date.

I think I'm just going to stick with the Film Noir for a while. Lotsa stuff I haven't seen. Lotsa old friends to revisit.
Starra

Postby slyragz » Mon Apr 04, 2005 3:09 pm

Inherit the Wind was on again last night. Love that movie, just love it. I hope they never remake it.
slyragz

Postby Slade » Mon Apr 04, 2005 5:04 pm

Slyragz,

Not only was INHERIT THE WIND a good movie, but - in my opinion - the Scopes Monkey Trial was THE trial of the 20th century. Religion vs. Evolution, with the great bible-thumper William Jennings Bryan on one side, and the incomparable barrister Clarence Darrow on the other. Let's take a look at the trial behind the film:

http://www.law.umkc.edu/faculty/project ... scopes.htm

http://xroads.virginia.edu/~UG97/inherit/1925home.html

http://www3.mistral.co.uk/bradburyac/tennesse.html

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/amex/monkeytrial/

http://www.courttv.com/archive/greatesttrials/scopes/

Slade
Slade

Postby slyragz » Mon Apr 04, 2005 6:40 pm

Gee - that might have "something" to do with why I can't NOT watch this movie when it's on.

Stories in themselves are great, fun, able to draw you in, but when you take the time to do a little background on something, look at the issue(s) from all sides and the people and politics surrounding an event (like the Scopes Monkey trial) then it just makes it that much sweeter (or in some cases sour(er) (more sour) (hah).

Then you know, of course, I have a thing for Spencer Tracy -- another favorite of mine with him is "State of the Union." I'm sure (if you've seen it) you can figure out why.

But, back to Inherit the Wind...did that film have it's true life counterparts down or what?
slyragz

Postby PohlSE » Tue Apr 05, 2005 4:13 am

"In The Heat of The Night," "Inherit The Wind," "The Big Sleep" are all classics. But just wait someone, somewhere in hollywood will decide to remake at least one of them and spoil the whole thing. They've already got Spencer Tracy Spinning in his grave with the "Guess Who" remake so it will probably be "Inherit The Wind" they desecrate.

I can see it now... Starring Rob Schinder and Pauly Shore.
PohlSE
Webmaster

Postby moonflee » Wed Apr 06, 2005 12:17 am

Starra wrote:I think I'm just going to stick with the Film Noir for a while. Lotsa stuff I haven't seen. Lotsa old friends to revisit.

I've been catching a lot of noir lately. Do you get TCM (Turner Classic Movies) where you are at? Uncut classic flicks without commercials. The last one I caught was Born to Kill from '47 from Robert Wise starring Lawerence Tierney (who most "younger" people would recognize from Reservoir Dogs).

PohlSE wrote:"In The Heat of The Night," "Inherit The Wind," "The Big Sleep" are all classics. But just wait someone, somewhere in hollywood will decide to remake at least one of them and spoil the whole thing.

Did you see the 1978 version of "The Big Sleep" with Robert Mitchum set in England?
moonflee

Postby Mbwun » Wed Apr 06, 2005 12:46 am

I've been into caper films lately. The one that I'm really impressed with is Jules Dassin's "Rififi". A half-hour heist scene done completely in silence - it just blows me away how well it's done. The meltdown everyone goes through after successfully pulling the heist is incredibly well done, and probably not far off from the truth.

I was happy to see Dassin recognized by the Academy at the Oscars this year - finally some due paid to him after being so unfairly blacklisted years ago.

Two of Dassins:

Image Image

Two excellent films done recently:

Image Image

Two older ones that have been redone recently:

ImageImage

I just find that the examination of the human condition can be so well done in a good Heist / Caper flick.
How hard can it be? - Jeremy Clarkson
Make no mistake, this is a Supercar. Looks good .. goes fast .. nothing else matters. - Jeremy Clarkson

AMBITIOUS, BUT RUBBISH!
Mbwun

Postby Starra » Wed Apr 06, 2005 1:51 am

moonflee wrote: Do you get TCM (Turner Classic Movies) where you are at? Uncut classic flicks without commercials.
Sadly, no.

I was in Minnesota during my last movie night. And here in Canada, I don't have cable. I am told that you can get Turner and AMC on sattelite here though.

Once my fiance moves up here, I would say the chances are good that we'll have a dish in no time flat.
Starra

Postby PohlSE » Thu Apr 07, 2005 2:45 am

Moonflee:

Yes, I've seen the '78 version... It wasn't... I can't believe I'm going to say this, bad as far as remakes go.... Mitchum had a hell of a lot to do with that though! Mitchum could've made a documentery on cardboard boxes watchable.

...I've said something nice about a remake.

Only sepekku can wash the shame from me...
PohlSE
Webmaster

Postby raasnio » Thu Apr 07, 2005 2:47 am

Not all remakes are inferior.

I'll list 3 superior (in my opinion) remakes:

The Thing

The Ring

Insomnia

:)
raasnio
techno-guru / co-administrator

Next