Good Films

Sladists are media maniacs...I mean lovers. Movies, Books, Music & Sports are all here.

Re: Good Films

Postby raasnio » Sat Nov 16, 2013 5:25 am

Fright Night II. The original version. That is what was being discussed was it not?
The most merciful thing in the world... is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. - H. P. Lovecraft
raasnio
techno-guru / co-administrator

Postby Mbwun » Sat Nov 16, 2013 3:52 pm

Yes, that is what we were discussing.

I've got the DVD that was available for a very short time. I don't know how long it had been out at the time I got it - I was browsing in the DVD department of an electronics retailer one day, and there it was. Didn't even know it was out on DVD at the time. I think I only paid about $10 for it. Now, because it's out of print, and it sounds as if there were never very many copies of it made available, people want an absolute fortune for it on ebay.

It replaced a VHS copy I'd had of it for several years.

The DVD is full screen, like the VHS. The picture and sound quality are really not much, if at all better, than the VHS. Apparently, an HD widescreen version of was broadcast on television some time ago though.
How hard can it be? - Jeremy Clarkson
Make no mistake, this is a Supercar. Looks good .. goes fast .. nothing else matters. - Jeremy Clarkson

AMBITIOUS, BUT RUBBISH!
Mbwun

Postby Mbwun » Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:28 pm

There was absolutely nothing worthwhile on tv on Wednesday night, so I brought my copy of the original SLEUTH up, and showed it to mom and dad. I think that's the third time I've watched it now, and it just gets better and better. Such brilliant acting by Laurence Olivier, and Michael Caine. No wonder they were both nominated for Best Actor Oscars for their performances.

I'd recommend this film to anyone!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBRMaieaLdU
Make no mistake, this is a Supercar. Looks good .. goes fast .. nothing else matters. - Jeremy Clarkson

AMBITIOUS, BUT RUBBISH!
Mbwun

Postby raasnio » Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:20 am

I've never seen Sleuth. Wonder if it's on Netflix...
The most merciful thing in the world... is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. - H. P. Lovecraft
raasnio

Postby Mbwun » Tue Dec 17, 2013 3:57 pm

It would appear that someone uploaded the whole thing to Youtube, so you can watch it there. The DVD is out of print, and people seem to want quite a bit for used copies of it. I got mine for a pittance at a thrift store a few months ago.

Here's the Youtube link for it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M27132uLQm0

AMBITIOUS, BUT RUBBISH!
Mbwun

Postby raasnio » Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:15 am

Mbwun wrote:It would appear that someone uploaded the whole thing to Youtube, so you can watch it there. The DVD is out of print, and people seem to want quite a bit for used copies of it. I got mine for a pittance at a thrift store a few months ago.

Thank you.
raasnio

Postby Mbwun » Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:32 pm

raasnio wrote:
Mbwun wrote:It would appear that someone uploaded the whole thing to Youtube, so you can watch it there. The DVD is out of print, and people seem to want quite a bit for used copies of it. I got mine for a pittance at a thrift store a few months ago.

Thank you.

If you haven't gotten around to watching it yet, just a little info on it.

SLEUTH started out its life as a stage play, and the film plays out much like a stage play. Olivier and Caine are the only actors in the film, although you will see credits given to some other names.

AMBITIOUS, BUT RUBBISH!
Mbwun

Postby Mbwun » Sun Dec 29, 2013 7:34 pm

My sister and brother-in-law gave me a copy of LES MISERABLES on BluRay/DVD combo pack for Christmas. Watched it the other day, and really enjoyed it. It's pretty much on par with THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA that came out in 2004. I think I'd have to give the edge to PHANTOM though.

Even though LES MIS definitely has the more altruistic storyline, I just find PHANTOM to be a more engaging story. Although, I have the feeling that the novel of LES MISERABLES would prove to be a much better story.

I guess I should read it some day.

AMBITIOUS, BUT RUBBISH!
Mbwun

Postby Mbwun » Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:21 pm

I finally got hold of a copy of CORIOLANUS a while back, and watched it. Thought it was a very good film! The dialogue in it is completely that of the Shakespeare play, but its setting is that of a modern world, rather than the original setting of ancient Rome.

It's definitely a film you want to be fully awake while you watch it.

AMBITIOUS, BUT RUBBISH!
Mbwun

Postby raasnio » Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:48 pm

Frozen: Mostly meh with an entertaining last 20 or so minutes.

Anchorman 2: Don't remember the 1st one at all, but this sequel is hilarious. Up until the last 20 minutes or so then it crashes hard.

Kick Ass 2: It was OK. Not bad at all, just never great. If you're a fan of the 1st you can take or leave it.
raasnio

Postby Mbwun » Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:53 pm

LEAVING LAS VEGAS

Found a copy of it for $2 today.

I'm assuming this is a good film, what with the Academy Award nominations (and win), as well as raves by the critics.

I've decided to finally watch three films that have scenes shot at the - now defunct - Glass Pool Inn in Las Vegas. I'd list the other two I've chosen, but for some reason the board does not like the combination of titles, and gives me an error message when I try to post this post. But, it's three films I've never seen before. To give you a hint of the other two ... one stars Robert Redford, Demi Moore, and Woody Harrelson ... the other stars Robert DeNiro, Joe Pesci, and Sharon Stone.

I stayed at the Glass Pool Inn back when it was called the Mirage Motel. It's the only motel we've stayed at while on vacation when I was a kid that sticks out in my memory. My brother and I insisted on it after seeing that pool from the highway back in April of 1977.

AMBITIOUS, BUT RUBBISH!
Mbwun

Postby Mbwun » Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:10 pm

Found a DVD of THE GREAT RACE at the Salvation Army yesterday for two bucks! What a hoot!!! And soooo much better in a nice crisp looking widescreen copy than that VHS I've had for some time now.

Now if I could only find copies of THOSE MAGNIFICENT MEN IN THEIR FLYING MACHINES, and THOSE DARING YOUNG MEN IN THEIR JAUNTY JALOPIES.

I wouldn't mind finding a copy of the original AROUND THE WORLD IN 80 DAYS either. I've had the Criterion Collection version of IT'S A MAD MAD MAD MAD WORLD on special order at HMV for close to a month now, but it still hasn't arrived.

While I was there, I got talking to a man who was also looking through the DVDs they had for sale there, and he told me about a film I've never heard of before ... THE WRONG BOX. It's based on a story by Robert Louis Stevenson. It looks like a hoot too, and probably right up any Sladist's alley:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DjQUvj56HpI

The trailer for it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsLmhwZu6LQ

Now, if only I could find a place around here where I could bring the DVD in on special order.

AMBITIOUS, BUT RUBBISH!
Mbwun

Postby Mbwun » Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:00 pm

My Criterion Collection copy of IAMMMMW arrived on Friday, and I've been enjoying it quite a lot!

I decided to stop off at Chapters on my way to pick it up at HMV, and place a special order for MAGNIFICENT MEN, and JAUNTY JALOPIES, using the gift card my brother and sister-in-law gave me for Christmas. Over the past few years of looking for the three films to show up used somewhere, I've only ever seen one VHS copy and one DVD copy of THE GREAT RACE - and I bought both of them. I've never seen any copies of the other two show up anywhere.

There's a British car race film called GENEVIEVE that I wouldn't mind seeing, that is a forerunner to all of these films. It was - coincidentally - written by the same writers as wrote IAMMMMW. It is available on DVD through amazon, but does not seem to be available through either HMV, or Chapters.

AMBITIOUS, BUT RUBBISH!
Mbwun

Postby Mbwun » Sat Mar 15, 2014 3:56 pm

MAGNIFICENT MEN arrived, and I watched it last night. What a romp! A pretty impressive line up of special features on the disc too. It's fascinating that they reproduced planes that actually existed back in the very early 1900s to use in the film. I also see that Twilight Time has released a limited edition Bluray of it with much better cover art.

They've had to re-order JAUNTY JALOPIES, so I'm hoping they can actually get more in stock. If not, I guess I'll have to see if HMV can get a copy for me, since I see by their website that they carry it too.

AMBITIOUS, BUT RUBBISH!
Mbwun

Postby Mbwun » Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:17 pm

JAUNTY JALOPIES arrived yesterday ... another very entertaining romp. Peter Cook and Dudley Moore certainly made a great team in the film, and as in MAGNIFICENT MEN, Terry Thomas made for a great villain.

It's a bare bones DVD, put out by a small independent company in association with Paramount. Just a theatrical trailer that strangely, isn't done anamorphically, even though the film on the disc is anamorphic. Picture quality is reasonable and is 2.20:1, even though the packaging says 1.78:1.

Now, if I could only find a used copy of the David Niven version of AROUND THE WORLD IN 80 DAYS to round out the collection. I've seen a few VHS copies of it show up at the thrift stores over the past few months, but would prefer to have it on DVD.

AROUND THE WORLD IN 80 DAYS
THE GREAT RACE
IT'S A MAD MAD MAD MAD WORLD
THOSE DARING YOUNG MEN IN THEIR JAUNTY JALOPIES\
THOSE MAGNIFICENT MEN IN THEIR FLYING MACHINES

Other than GENEVIEVE, THE GUMBALL RALLY (I have that one too), and the CANNONBALL RUN films, can anyone think of any more that would fit this category? Forget about RAT RACE, I've seen that film, and it's absolutely dismal.

AMBITIOUS, BUT RUBBISH!
Mbwun

PreviousNext

Return to Multi-Media