[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
• View topic - Good Films

Good Films

Sladists are media maniacs...I mean lovers. Movies, Books, Music & Sports are all here.

Re: Good Films

Postby Mbwun » Sat May 25, 2013 3:42 pm

How hard can it be? - Jeremy Clarkson
Make no mistake, this is a Supercar. Looks good .. goes fast .. nothing else matters. - Jeremy Clarkson

AMBITIOUS, BUT RUBBISH!
Mbwun

Postby EZ Rhino » Sun Jul 14, 2013 3:23 pm

So I believe I finally can follow what's going on in the last 15 minutes of Trading Places (1983). I sort of understood it about 15 years after it came out and got a pretty good explanation a few months ago but this pulls it all together:

I wish the media would report more on public service and charity news instead of gossip. It is of much greater value. - Jackie Chan
EZ Rhino

Postby Mbwun » Sun Jul 14, 2013 4:08 pm

You know, I've never actually seen TRADING PLACES.
Make no mistake, this is a Supercar. Looks good .. goes fast .. nothing else matters. - Jeremy Clarkson

AMBITIOUS, BUT RUBBISH!
Mbwun

Postby SickThing » Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:07 pm

SickThing

Postby Mbwun » Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:37 pm

I've seen COMING TO AMERICA. It was OK back then, but the last time I tried watching it, I thought it was kind of 'meh'.

I find most of what comes out of the US that is supposed to be comedy to be kind of 'meh'. Maybe it stems from being Canadian, and having a preference for British comedy.

I do recall seeing an interview with Joan Rivers once, where she described Canadians as being a 'tough room'. I think I must be an especially tough room.

AMBITIOUS, BUT RUBBISH!
Mbwun

Postby SickThing » Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:38 pm

SickThing

Postby Mbwun » Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:34 pm

Yeah, I think that when you initially saw them, and the impact they made at the time has a lot to do with how you feel about them long term. Some films just seem to be a byproduct of the era in which they were made, and tend not to have the same kind of relevance when viewed for the first time outside of that era.

Of the films in your list, these are the ones I've actually seen:

Clue
Coming to America
Blazing Saddles
Young Frankenstein
Ferris Bueller's Day Off
Planes, Trains, and Automobiles
Stripes
Animal House
The Money Pit
The Princess Bride

With the exception of COMING TO AMERICA, which I'm now kind of 'meh' about, I really enjoy the rest. As US made comedy that isn't on your list, that I think is one of the best comedies ever made is WHAT'S UP DOC?. It just never ceases to make me laugh.

One of the principle differences between US and British comedy is the delivery of the joke's punch line. With US comedy, the punch line tends to rely on the shock value of it to create the humour. After you've seen it once, the shock value is no longer there, and the joke is no longer really all that funny. Whereas, with British humour, the lead up to the end of the joke is the thing that is actually funny. There tends not to really be a punch line to British humour, it's all in the story-telling.

AMBITIOUS, BUT RUBBISH!
Mbwun

Postby Mbwun » Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:54 pm

I don't know if anyone bothers to visit this board much any more, but, if some of you DO still lurk about here, I thought I'd recommend a film I watched yesterday.

NICHOLAS AND ALEXANDRA (1971)

I really enjoyed it. It has a great cast, and for the most part, very good acting. The sets and costumes are wonderful. And Tom Baker of Dr. Who fame does a wonderful job of portraying Rasputin.

I believe I learned a bit about the Russian Revolution watching it - I can't recall learning much, if anything, about it in school.

I'd never heard of the film before, but I found a copy of it in a thrift store last week, and decided to give it a try.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5aZ09MkpoTI

AMBITIOUS, BUT RUBBISH!
Mbwun

Postby Mbwun » Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:50 pm

SOLOMON KANE was in theatres in Europe briefly back in 2009, but never arrived on this side of the pond. It's been available on BluRay/DVD in Europe since 2009/2010, but was only released in those formats here a few weeks ago.

It took some time to obtain a copy of it, as I was unable to find it at either Future Shop, or Best Buy, and I couldn't even order it through London Drugs. And the only video rental place we have here, where I buy a lot of used DVDs only seems to have purchased a BluRay/DVD combo pack that they split up to rent separately, so I figured the odds of my ever being able to buy it used were pretty slim.

I rarely go into the mall here where the HMV store is, but I happened to be in there for other reasons this past week. Stopped by the HMV, and found it as a BluRay/DVD combo pack.

Watched it last night, and I thought it was rather good, to be honest. I don't know why we didn't get it in theatres here, nor why it took so long for us to get it on BluRay/DVD. It stars James Purefoy as Solomon Kane. Many Sladists will probably recognize Purefoy from his role as Mark Antony in the tv series ROME, and/or his role as Colville, aka. The Black Prince, in A KNIGHT'S TALE.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIBwQsOwEeM

AMBITIOUS, BUT RUBBISH!
Mbwun

Postby SickThing » Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:29 pm

Thanks, Mbwun! I have Solomon Kane in my Netflix queue, but haven't seen it yet.

I recently watched Dredd, the new version starring Karl Urban. I was really impressed with it. Hyper-violent and gory, but most excellent. It reminded me a whole lot of Robocop (the original, not the dreadful-looking new version), and Dredd even echoed one of Robocop's most famous lines. I found out after (via IMDb) that Robocop started life as Dredd! A Judge Dredd script was floating around Hollywood and eventually turned into what was filmed as Robocop.

Hunter
SickThing

Postby Mbwun » Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:29 pm

I think it was PohlSE that posted something here about DREDD being a lot better than the reviews and box office would lead you to believe. And I've heard the same about JOHN CARTER, although I haven't seen either yet.

Don't expect a lot of humour in SOLOMON KANE - there's only a scene or two that will illicit a chuckle out of you. And it's more of an origin story, rather than being based on any of Robert E. Howard's writings about the character. It was meant to show how Solomon Kane became the person Howard wrote about, with the hopes that sequels would follow, based on Howard's stories.

Whether we'll ever see a sequel, well, I'm not going to hold my breath on that one.

The commentary by the director, and Purefoy, on the DVD is actually quite good. It's got a really good musical score too.

AMBITIOUS, BUT RUBBISH!
Mbwun

Postby SickThing » Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:33 pm

Yes, John Carter was a much better film than the reviews gave it. It was sabotaged by horrible marketing, and everyone jumped on the bandwagon.

Hunter
SickThing

Postby Mbwun » Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:46 pm

I thought BATTLESHIP was a lot better than the reviews, marketing, and box office would lead you to believe too. I've watched it several times now, and it's always a hoot!

AMBITIOUS, BUT RUBBISH!
Mbwun

Postby Mbwun » Sat Sep 28, 2013 4:03 pm

This past week, I purchased used DVDs of both versions of THE THOMAS CROWN AFFAIR - the Steve McQueen/Faye Dunaway original, and the Pierce Brosnan/Rene Russo remake. I had never seen either of them, but over the years had heard the original held in very high regard. Yesterday, I decided to wage a 'Battle of the two Thomas Crowns'.

I decided to give the remake an edge, by watching it first so it didn't have to compete with any memory of the original.

I hate to say this, but, as much as I prefer Steve McQueen to Pierce Brosnan, I have to give an edge to the Brosnan remake. I liked the storyline in this one better, and felt it had a better ending to it.

They're both very well acted, and the chess scene in the original definitely has it over the dance scene in the remake, but I'm afraid the remake just does it for me more.

Maybe watching the remake first gave it too much of an edge.

AMBITIOUS, BUT RUBBISH!
Mbwun

Postby Mbwun » Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:10 pm

Has anyone seen the film PACIFIC RIM? It's got such mixed reviews I don't know what to think. Just wondering whether I should bother thinking about buying it new, now that the BluRay/DVD is being released this coming week.

AMBITIOUS, BUT RUBBISH!
Mbwun

PreviousNext

Return to Multi-Media