Good Films

Sladists are media maniacs...I mean lovers. Movies, Books, Music & Sports are all here.

Re: Good Films

Postby raasnio » Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:33 pm

Mbwun wrote:Has anyone seen the film PACIFIC RIM? It's got such mixed reviews I don't know what to think. Just wondering whether I should bother thinking about buying it new, now that the BluRay/DVD is being released this coming week.

I have. I loved it, but I'm a fan of Kaiju films and Guillermo Del Toro. If you are into Gamera, Godzilla, or other similar films then you'll likely love it. If not, I cannot say what you'll think of it as it wasn't made to 'win an Oscar'. It's to satisfy people, like me, who are really into Kaiju movies. 8-) :D

Oh, and I should add that the two leads do become interested in one another, but it's very innocent. Definitely not a Michael Bay kind of film. This movie just contains monster on robot violence and one curse word after the credits.
The most merciful thing in the world... is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. - H. P. Lovecraft
raasnio
techno-guru / co-administrator

Postby raasnio » Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:35 pm

Saw Gravity in 3D. Fun movie. It's a disaster in space film. Won't ever see it again, probably, as it is a one and done kind of movie for me.
The most merciful thing in the world... is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. - H. P. Lovecraft
raasnio

Postby Mbwun » Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:25 pm

Thanks for responding raasnio.

I'm not really all that familiar with the type of films out of Japan that you've mentioned. The only version of GODZILLA I've seen is the American made one with Matthew Broderick, and Jean Reno. I actually liked it, and think it's a great popcorn flick. Not familiar at all with Gamera, or Kaiju film.

I have seen AKIRA - it's a bit of a trip.

The only Guillermo Del Toro film I've seen is MIMIC, and I did enjoy that one.
How hard can it be? - Jeremy Clarkson
Make no mistake, this is a Supercar. Looks good .. goes fast .. nothing else matters. - Jeremy Clarkson

AMBITIOUS, BUT RUBBISH!
Mbwun

Postby raasnio » Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:18 am

Mbwun wrote:Thanks for responding raasnio.

I'm not really all that familiar with the type of films out of Japan that you've mentioned. The only version of GODZILLA I've seen is the American made one with Matthew Broderick, and Jean Reno. I actually liked it, and think it's a great popcorn flick. Not familiar at all with Gamera, or Kaiju film.

I have seen AKIRA - it's a bit of a trip.

The only Guillermo Del Toro film I've seen is MIMIC, and I did enjoy that one.

If you don't mind foreign films, you should consider watching Pan's Labyrinth. Another Del Toro film and possibly the best film I've ever seen.

Pacific Rim is an awesome popcorn flick. Del Toro isn't one to be pigeon-holed. He can make films that are just to entertain as well as highly regarded dramatic films.
raasnio

Postby Mbwun » Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:40 pm

I picked up the DVD two-disc special edition of it today. Since I don't have a Blu Ray player, I wanted the one where I could watch the special features too.

Also got a used copy of a sci-fi film called SUNSHINE today. I've been hearing good things about it. It's about a mission to our dying sun to try to give it a bit of a jump start.
Make no mistake, this is a Supercar. Looks good .. goes fast .. nothing else matters. - Jeremy Clarkson

AMBITIOUS, BUT RUBBISH!
Mbwun

Postby Mbwun » Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:04 pm

I thought PACIFIC RIM was quite good, but it didn't completely blow me away. We'll see what some more viewings will do to my opinion of it. I did find it lacked much in the way of truly good humorous moments though.

Of course, maybe seeing it on a big screen in 3D would have been a much better initial experience with it. I've yet to see one of the new generation 3D movies at a theatre. The only 3D films I've ever seen is one that played in one of the BC Pavilions at Expo 86 here in Vancouver, and T-Rex Back To The Cretaceous at the IMAX at Colossus here in Langley.

As things stand at the moment, I'd say the Matthew Broderick GODZILLA, and BATTLESHIP are better popcorn flicks.

AMBITIOUS, BUT RUBBISH!
Mbwun

Postby raasnio » Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:08 am

Mbwun wrote:I thought PACIFIC RIM was quite good, but it didn't completely blow me away. We'll see what some more viewings will do to my opinion of it. I did find it lacked much in the way of truly good humorous moments though.

Of course, maybe seeing it on a big screen in 3D would have been a much better initial experience with it. I've yet to see one of the new generation 3D movies at a theatre. The only 3D films I've ever seen is one that played in one of the BC Pavilions at Expo 86 here in Vancouver, and T-Rex Back To The Cretaceous at the IMAX at Colossus here in Langley.

As things stand at the moment, I'd say the Matthew Broderick GODZILLA, and BATTLESHIP are better popcorn flicks.

Pacific Rim was awesome in IMAX 3D. I will say that if you don't see it in high def you may be losing detail. Much of the battles take place in darker environments. I thought that the two competing scientists provided much more humor than could be found in Broderick's Godzilla film. The good news is that the new Godzilla arrives next year and it looks like a film that is born out of love for all things Kaiju. The trailer lasted a few hours before being pulled, but I did get to see it twice. That said, it does not look like it will have any humor at all in it. I believe it will feature a terrifying version of the mighty beast.
raasnio

Postby Mbwun » Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:56 pm

I think one of the major appeals of the GODZILLA movie to me, is the presence of Jean Reno. I just love him to bits.

As for BATTLESHIP, I don't know if you've seen it, but the tazing scene in the beginning of it, and the whole sequence that led up to it, is just priceless. There are several other truly great moments in it too. I think the film got a bum rap to be honest.

I've read that Del Toro is still working on the script for PACIFIC RIM II, and that it may involve some sort of melding of Jaeger, and Kaiju. And that he's thinking of turning the Dr. Newton Geiszler character into the antagonist. That sounds intriguing, but it also makes it sound as if there won't be a reestablishment of the portal between our worlds. It hasn't been greenlit yet though.

You're probably right about seeing it in IMAX 3D, rather than the way I saw it first. I'm still watching stuff on a 36" CRT, in standard DVD.

AMBITIOUS, BUT RUBBISH!
Mbwun

Postby raasnio » Fri Oct 18, 2013 4:14 pm

Mbwun wrote:I think one of the major appeals of the GODZILLA movie to me, is the presence of Jean Reno. I just love him to bits.

As for BATTLESHIP, I don't know if you've seen it, but the tazing scene in the beginning of it, and the whole sequence that led up to it, is just priceless. There are several other truly great moments in it too. I think the film got a bum rap to be honest.

I've read that Del Toro is still working on the script for PACIFIC RIM II, and that it may involve some sort of melding of Jaeger, and Kaiju. And that he's thinking of turning the Dr. Newton Geiszler character into the antagonist. That sounds intriguing, but it also makes it sound as if there won't be a reestablishment of the portal between our worlds. It hasn't been greenlit yet though.

You're probably right about seeing it in IMAX 3D, rather than the way I saw it first. I'm still watching stuff on a 36" CRT, in standard DVD.

I, too, am a fan of Reno. Especially in Léon: The Professional.

Part of me wonders if Del Toro will try to add more weight to the next film. The first was a blast for me, but he may be thinking of foxusing more on the meld aspects which would add more meat to the plot. Time will tell. I love the kaiju and jaeger designs.

I love films and I love hi-def. So I try to watch Blu-ray versions as much as possible. As far as 3D goes, I judge whether to see a film in that way based on how much effort the studio put into the process and whether or not I believe the film may benefit from it. Del Toro made sure that the conversion process was given ample time. Sometimes studios make a last minute decision to convert and so the process is rushed. Which results in a lack of detail.

I hope you get a new TV and Blu-ray player someday. I know you would appreciate it. 8-)
raasnio

Postby Mbwun » Sat Oct 19, 2013 3:46 pm

I watched PACIFIC RIM a second time last night, and enjoyed it more than I did the first time. So, I guess that's a good sign. I think knowing what the ending was, and not having my heart start pounding in my chest like it did the first time was a lot less stressful. I got more out of the comic relief of the two scientists too, as well as catching a few more things going on in it.

I also watched the film SUNSHINE yesterday. Very intriguing film. From what I've read, the science is a bit sketchy in it, but it did make you think. The last act was ruined a bit by going a bit too EVENT HORIZON for my taste. (Not a big fan of that film.)

I'd definitely recommend it to anyone who hasn't seen it yet. This is the trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=veC25b8Vd2E

One thing about it ... if I ever get a cell phone, I think it would be rather cool to have this sound from it as a ringtone:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9b5ueiALdB0

AMBITIOUS, BUT RUBBISH!
Mbwun

Postby SickThing » Mon Oct 21, 2013 3:55 pm

raasnio wrote:If you don't mind foreign films, you should consider watching Pan's Labyrinth. Another Del Toro film and possibly the best film I've ever seen.

I'm really not trying to disagree with everything you posted. ;-) I thought Pan's Labyrinth was visually-stunning, but not a good movie. The story did nothing for me. Or maybe I just didn't get it. Which is very possible.

Hunter
SickThing

Postby Mbwun » Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:16 pm

I've seen copies of PANS LABYRINTH show up at the place where I buy a lot of used DVDs, and have been tempted on numerous occasions to buy one, after the praise I've read online for it. But, I hem and haw, and after reading the synopsis on the back of the DVD, decided against it ... time, after time, after time. The plot just never come across as something that I'd really want to watch.

I guess it might be because I have a problem with films that put children in harm's way - even the scenes in PACIFIC RIM involving the young Mako bother me.

AMBITIOUS, BUT RUBBISH!
Mbwun

Postby raasnio » Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:15 am

SickThing wrote:
raasnio wrote:If you don't mind foreign films, you should consider watching Pan's Labyrinth. Another Del Toro film and possibly the best film I've ever seen.

I'm really not trying to disagree with everything you posted. ;-) I thought Pan's Labyrinth was visually-stunning, but not a good movie. The story did nothing for me. Or maybe I just didn't get it. Which is very possible.

Hunter

You may not have cared for the movie. If you private message me with what you may not have understood about it I can answer you.
raasnio

Postby Mbwun » Thu Oct 24, 2013 3:14 pm

Finally got around to watching a used DVD of THE RIGHT STUFF I bought at the Sally Ann quite a while back. I'd never seen it before ... what a great film! By some weird coincidence, my first viewing of it came on the 30th anniversary of its release. Seems it's finally coming out on BluRay next month too.

I could see quite a few things that Michael Bay stole for ARMAGEDDON in it.

AMBITIOUS, BUT RUBBISH!
Mbwun

Postby raasnio » Thu Oct 24, 2013 4:09 pm

Mbwun wrote:I watched PACIFIC RIM a second time last night, and enjoyed it more than I did the first time. So, I guess that's a good sign. I think knowing what the ending was, and not having my heart start pounding in my chest like it did the first time was a lot less stressful. I got more out of the comic relief of the two scientists too, as well as catching a few more things going on in it.

I also watched the film SUNSHINE yesterday. Very intriguing film. From what I've read, the science is a bit sketchy in it, but it did make you think. The last act was ruined a bit by going a bit too EVENT HORIZON for my taste. (Not a big fan of that film.)

I had pretty much the same take on Sunshine that you had. Definitely worth a watch. I'm not a big fan of everything Danny Boyle directs, but he's a great director.

As for Pacific Rim, what do you mean by 'heart pounding'? What stressed you out?
raasnio

PreviousNext

Return to Multi-Media