Good Films

Sladists are media maniacs...I mean lovers. Movies, Books, Music & Sports are all here.

Re: Good Films

Postby Mbwun » Thu Oct 24, 2013 4:39 pm

raasnio wrote:I had pretty much the same take on Sunshine that you had. Definitely worth a watch. I'm not a big fan of everything Danny Boyle directs, but he's a great director.

As for Pacific Rim, what do you mean by 'heart pounding'? What stressed you out?

It's hard to explain. Just that at times when I'm watching a film or tv show, or reading a novel, when you get to the 'crisis point' in the storyline, where things are either going to go well, or really bad, for the protagonist, my heart actually starts beating like mad in my chest. I find the not knowing for sure kind of stressful, even though in a film the outcome is probably going to be predictable.

When I was younger, I enjoyed this ... now that I'm getting up there in age, not so much. It's probably why I'm not reading very many thrillers these days.

Now to watch the other SUNSHINE movie I've had on DVD for a while.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdJXlNgnQTk
How hard can it be? - Jeremy Clarkson
Make no mistake, this is a Supercar. Looks good .. goes fast .. nothing else matters. - Jeremy Clarkson

AMBITIOUS, BUT RUBBISH!
Mbwun

Postby SickThing » Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:00 pm

raasnio wrote:You may not have cared for the movie. If you private message me with what you may not have understood about it I can answer you.

I don't think it was a matter of not understanding it, I just didn't get it. In any case, I barely remember anything about it now except for the visuals.

Hunter
SickThing

Postby Mbwun » Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:26 am

Got the hankering to watch the original FRIGHT NIGHT today. I still think that Chris Sarandon as Gerry Dandridge is the sexiest vampire in film history.

Maybe I'll watch the sequel FRIGHT NIGHT PART II later on today as a follow up. I'm one of the lucky few - it would seem - to own a DVD copy of it. It's too bad they only put out a full screen version of it on DVD. Wish I was equipped to download and burn the widescreen version of it available online to a disc that I could play in my DVD player.

I think both films are terribly underrated over at IMDb.

So far, I haven't been able to bring myself to watch the remake with Colin Farrell - partly because I've read that it sucks, and partly because I just don't care for Colin Farrell.

It's too bad they didn't go forward with the original plan to make a FRIGHT NIGHT III instead of the remake. This is what I've read about the original plans for it:

It wasn't just an idea - it was in pre-production when the producers got cold feet about it being "too clever" for a modern audience and that it wouldn't make money. So they dumped the script, pulled out of production and hired Marti Noxon to write a fast, cheap remake of the original instead, which is what ended up onscreen.

What it was intended to be was a meta-reality, with Fright Night having been made as a movie as in real life, and its star Chris Sarandon - playing himself - was approached by a fan of the movie who had discovered a real vampire living next door. Sarandon was meant to be obviously sceptical in the story but is eventually drawn in. It was supposedly meant to be quite a hard, scary take on the story with Sarandon reluctantly taking on effectively the Peter Vincent role of the original movie, as if it was all real.

Now THAT is something that I would have gone to see!!!
Make no mistake, this is a Supercar. Looks good .. goes fast .. nothing else matters. - Jeremy Clarkson

AMBITIOUS, BUT RUBBISH!
Mbwun

Postby SickThing » Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:42 am

I agree with you about Chris Sarandon in Fright Night!

Fright Night II isn't as good, of course, but it's still fun.

I avoided the remake for a long time for the same reasons you did. However, curiosity finally got the better of me, and I watched it a while back. It actually wasn't horrible. It's not actually a straight remake, which made it more enjoyable for me. And Farrell worked for me more than I expected, as he was the main reason I didn't want to see it. But he didn't try to out-sexy Sarandon; he played the role very differently.

I've read the synopsis of the new sequel, and it sounds like a scene-for-scene remake of the remake! I have no idea what the point of it is.

Hunter
SickThing

Postby Mbwun » Mon Nov 11, 2013 4:56 am

If a really inexpensive used copy of the remake shows up somewhere, or it shows up on the schedule of a channel we get, I'll consider seeing it.

SickThing wrote:I've read the synopsis of the new sequel, and it sounds like a scene-for-scene remake of the remake! I have no idea what the point of it is.

Hunter

Yeah, I was a bit stunned to see that on the shelf of the Best Buy here recently. And with a 4.2 out of 10 on IMDb, it would appear it's pretty bad. It's sad to see them tarnish the image of such a great cult classic with a cheap direct to DVD production.

AMBITIOUS, BUT RUBBISH!
Mbwun

Postby Mbwun » Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:53 pm

I found something rather interesting re: FRIGHT NIGHT. You can download two separate commentaries to listen to while watching FRIGHT NIGHT here:

http://iconsoffright.com/pirate-commentaries-2/

AMBITIOUS, BUT RUBBISH!
Mbwun

Postby SickThing » Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:11 pm

I downloaded those quite a while ago, but have still never had/made the time to listen to them. They should have been included in the Fright Night Blu-ray release last year, but they weren't. (That was a limited edition release from Screen Archives (I think it was); only 3000 copies. They licensed it from Sony, because Sony doesn't care about the movie.)

Hunter
SickThing

Postby Mbwun » Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:56 pm

It sounds like you didn't get the Blu Ray back then. Considering what people want for it now, bet you wish you had.

You wouldn't by chance have any suggestions as to what would be the best way to go about downloading this Youtube video, and burning it to a DVD that I can play in a normal DVD player, rather than having to watch it on my computer, would you?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QH49BhrxaQ

I've had people suggest different downloading options, but they all involve Firefox, and I use Chrome.

AMBITIOUS, BUT RUBBISH!
Mbwun

Postby SickThing » Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:05 pm

Mbwun wrote:It sounds like you didn't get the Blu Ray back then. Considering what people want for it now, bet you wish you had.

Oh, no, I bought it when it came out. It was just disappointing that it was just the movie (and the trailer, I think).

You wouldn't by chance have any suggestions as to what would be the best way to go about downloading this Youtube video, and burning it to a DVD that I can play in a normal DVD player, rather than having to watch it on my computer, would you?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QH49BhrxaQ

I've had people suggest different downloading options, but they all involve Firefox, and I use Chrome.

Chrome is produced by Google, which owns YouTube, so they don't allow the add-ons that let you save YouTube videos....

However, you can use KeepVid to download them:

http://www.keepvid.com/

As for burning it to a DVD, that requires DVD-authoring software and a video encoder to convert it from MPEG-4 to MPEG-2 for DVD. Unless, hopefully, your DVD player will play a data disc with MPEG-4 files on it? Most modern players will do so.

Hunter
SickThing

Postby Mbwun » Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:13 pm

Thanks!

How much better is the picture and sound quality on the Blu Ray, as opposed to the DVD?

AMBITIOUS, BUT RUBBISH!
Mbwun

Postby SickThing » Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:16 pm

Mbwun wrote:How much better is the picture and sound quality on the Blu Ray, as opposed to the DVD?

This review, with screenshots, says it better than I can. Suffice it to say that it was well worth the upgrade, IMO!

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Fright-Ni ... ray/25032/

That version of Fright Night 2 on YouTube was apparently a leaked/bootlegged version of the film that was being readied for Blu-ray release, but it never happened (or hasn't yet), again, most likely because Sony doesn't care about the films.

Hunter
SickThing

Postby Mbwun » Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:25 pm

I guess if the remake had done better, the original two may have been given better BluRay/DVD treatments than they were.

I've heard comments on IMDb, that the remastered widescreen version of FNpart2 aired on Turner Classic Movies at some point, and a lot of people seem to have DVRed it then.

Just finished listening to one of the commentaries - the one with Tom Holland, Chris Sarandon, and Jonathan Stark ... very entertaining.

Trying to download that Youtube video, but it doesn't seem to want to work.

I see you've rejoined Facebook too.

AMBITIOUS, BUT RUBBISH!
Mbwun

Postby SickThing » Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:31 pm

Mbwun wrote:I guess if the remake had done better, the original two may have been given better BluRay/DVD treatments than they were.

The remake was done by Disney, not Sony, but people still expected Sony to ride the remake wave....

Trying to download that Youtube video, but it doesn't seem to want to work.

Hmm. You're right. It used to work.

I see you've rejoined Facebook too.

Yeah, I came back, but I've severely restricted my "friends." It's mostly family and people I actually know (and not just other fans of stuff I like).

Hunter
SickThing

Postby raasnio » Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:18 am

I don't have the Blu-ray, but I have a DVD copy somewhere. If I find it I'll let you know, Mbwun.
The most merciful thing in the world... is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. - H. P. Lovecraft
raasnio
techno-guru / co-administrator

Postby Mbwun » Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:46 am

raasnio wrote:I don't have the Blu-ray, but I have a DVD copy somewhere. If I find it I'll let you know, Mbwun.

What film are you referring to raasnio?

AMBITIOUS, BUT RUBBISH!
Mbwun

PreviousNext

Return to Multi-Media