So What Are You Watching????

Sladists are media maniacs...I mean lovers. Movies, Books, Music & Sports are all here.

So What Are You Watching????

Postby i.am.sladist » Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:26 pm

OH!!! This is rich! I must share this.
After an exhausting few days, with a terrible headache, I finally get the chance to sit down last night ...
There is nothing better under such circumstances than sitting and watching mindless horror:
Dinocroc vs Supergator ... If that doesn't say it all! (Love SyFy Channel and their original movies! This is was so good I wrote down to share with you all! Yes, this is a SyFy original movie ...)

A couple of giant Reptilian creatures (Off to a good start) escape an experimental facility (Isn't that always the case ... you would think by now all these "experimental facilities" would be on high alert due to all these horrid creatures escaping ... but no) and cut a swath or terror (A SWATH OF TERROR!!! That's a good one. Mr Slade, remember that one ... a swath of terror) through highly populated beaches (I'm sorry, why are all these "experimental facilities" always in highly populated tourist areas? Real estate can't be cheap there, in highly populated tourist areas???) feasting on tourists and locals alike (because giant reptilian creatures are very hungry, and they eat a lot, and they don't discriminate) as they prepare for an ultimate showdown of monsterous proportions. (My word ...)

Seriously? Would you NOT watch that .... cheesy effects, bad acting. And yes gentleman, women running around in bikinis, screaming in terror before they get eaten ... the only thing missing was the pop-corn. Even that guy they found dead in Bangkok under some rather "unusual circumstances," he was there too!!!
It was awesome.
I am Evil.
I am Woman.
I am Sladist.
i.am.sladist

Postby Mbwun » Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:57 pm

Well, since I'm sick and tired of watching the same reruns of HEARTBEAT, and MIDSOMER MURDERS over and over again, Saturday nights on Knowledge Channel, I went downstairs to the media room last night and watched OUT OF AFRICA again last night. Haven't watched it for a while, but it used to be the film I'd watch practically every Sunday afternoon.

Thinking about Simon yesterday reminded me of it, since it was Denys Finch Hatton's funeral scene that inspired me to use the A.E Housman poem "To An Athlete Dying Young" in the memorial thread for him.

OUT OF AFRICA remains to this day, one of my absolute favourite films of all time - probably in the top 3.
How hard can it be? - Jeremy Clarkson
Make no mistake, this is a Supercar. Looks good .. goes fast .. nothing else matters. - Jeremy Clarkson

AMBITIOUS, BUT RUBBISH!
Mbwun

Postby PohlSE » Sun Jun 27, 2010 4:35 pm

Continuing my multi-month long quest to watch the worst movies ever made (thank god most of them have been mst3k'd or I might not be able to stomach them all) I have, recently, watched:

DEVIL DOLL (1964)

THE INCREDIBLY STRANGE CREATURES WHO STOPPED LIVING AND BECAME MIXED-UP ZOMBIES (1964)

INVASION OF THE NEPTUNE MEN (1961)

I WAS A TEENAGE WEREWOLF (1957)

"PARTS": THE CLONUS HORROR (1979)

...And several others (only one a day, mind you).
PohlSE
Webmaster

Postby i.am.sladist » Sun Jun 27, 2010 4:39 pm

I didn't know him and I'm sorry for that. Sometimes I'll sit here and read through the older posts, older threads. He comes across a truly genuine person, quite funny .... I would have enjoyed his company.
Then again, I guess in some respect I do. He's still here.
There are certain people in this world that we cross paths with and they never really leave us. They're always with us.
=)
I am Evil.
I am Woman.
I am Sladist.
i.am.sladist

Postby Mbwun » Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:27 pm

You missed out on a great, and unique man. He could be a real character at times.

Don't know what I'll be watching tonight. Knowledge is showing re-re-reruns of THE ROYAL, and I'm sick of those too. After that it's reruns of PRIME SUSPECT. And despite the raves from certain people here about that show, I wasn't really all that impressed the first time around - wasn't all that impressed by their showing of CRACKER either. Nor were my parents.

I guess we prefer a little less foul-mouthedness in our British detective dramas. We also prefer to be able to understand what's being said, and we find both shows to have a great deal of mumbled dialogue.

It wouldn't be so bad if they'd go back to the beginning episodes of shows like HEARTBEAT, THE ROYAL, and MIDSOMER MURDERS, when they start over again, but they keep just going back 3 or 4 series, and showing those episodes over, and over, and over again.

There ain't ever going to be any more new episodes of HEARTBEAT, or THE ROYAL to watch, since both of those shows are cancelled outright. And as for MIDSOMER MURDERS, the only episodes they haven't shown are the ones belonging to the current series being filmed. And the last episode of that series isn't expected to air in the UK until well into 2011, so it's going to be at least a year or more before they can start airing them here. They might as well go back and start airing these shows from the start.

Oh, and Slade, did you know that this is the last series with John Nettles? He's going to be replaced by Neil Dudgeon in the role of Tom Barnaby's cousin John:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvan ... rders.html

Wish they'd show INSPECTOR MORSE again, or pick up the episodes of INSPECTOR LEWIS, and show them. I'd also be very happy with reruns of ROSEMARY AND THYME, and so would my mother. Heck, even reruns of THE LAST DETECTIVE would be a welcome relief.
Make no mistake, this is a Supercar. Looks good .. goes fast .. nothing else matters. - Jeremy Clarkson

AMBITIOUS, BUT RUBBISH!
Mbwun

Postby Slade » Sun Jun 27, 2010 10:02 pm

Mbwun,

You must start tapping the library. It's a gold mine of fine entertainment. The Brits produce a lot of good detective shows, but unless they're picked up by PBS or Knowledge, we don't see them on TV.

The library, however, brings them in on DVD. For instance, I'm currently watching a series called A MIND TO KILL, set in Wales. You've never seen a Welsh police procedural, have you? Wales is one of my favorite parts of Britain, so I'm in hog heaven.

Cornwall! There's another favorite of mine, and the library has all of the WYCLIFFE series.

There's JONATHAN CREEK (for raasnio, MM, and the other Carr fans who love impossible crimes), and BLUE MURDER with Creek's sidekick as a detective Mum, and MURDER IN SUBURBIA with Doc Martin's love interest as a homicide cop, and THE VICE with her as a tough Soho cop policing with the Stott, the second Rebus, and - if you want to time travel back to the 17OOs - CITY OF VICE about the Bow Street Runners...and I could go on and on.

No need for reruns and boredom. I can steer you literally to 100s of hours of new stuff.

Slade
Slade

Postby Mbwun » Sun Jun 27, 2010 10:12 pm

Slade,

You must be using the Vancouver Public Library, where all their inventory is in the same building.

Our libraries belong to the Fraser Valley Regional Library system, and their inventory is split up amongst a couple of dozen or more buildings, spread across the entire Fraser Valley.

They don't keep the discs for a particular series together, but spread them out amongst the entire system, so you have to requisition them individually from each individual library that currently holds that disc. It makes being able to watch a programme in sequential order extremely frustrating.

For instance, if you had purchased I CLAUDIUS on DVD, it would have been as a 5 disc set. Well, the FVRL system splits up the set into 5 individual discs and distributes them individually.

Tried to get hold of their copies of I CLAUDIUS to watch, but gave up in frustration when it became obvious I was never going to get the discs in the correct order unless I requisitioned them one at a time, waiting until I'd got hold of one, before requisitioning the next. I figured it was probably going to take me well over a year just to watch it in its entirety, and I'd probably forget what I had already watched by the time I got to the end.

You can just never count on how long someone is going to hold onto the disc they've currently got out on loan.

AMBITIOUS, BUT RUBBISH!
Mbwun

Postby Mbwun » Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:13 pm

Thinking seriously of digging out the VHS tape on which I taped this when it was first broadcast, and watching it again:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhiJua8kRUQ

In my opinion, it's one of the best miniseries ever made, and it's absolutely shameful that it hasn't been put out on DVD in its entirety.

AMBITIOUS, BUT RUBBISH!
Mbwun

Postby SickThing » Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:25 pm

Slade wrote:There's JONATHAN CREEK (for raasnio, MM, and the other Carr fans who love impossible crimes),

Jonathan Creek is a fantastic show! The last special/movie, which aired at Easter earlier this year, was pretty lame, but all of the others were great!

We tried to watch Blue Murder, but couldn't get into it. The Inspector Lynley series is another favorite.

We're currently making our way through Monarch of the Glen and loving it.

Hunter
SickThing

Postby Slade » Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:11 pm

SickThing,

I made my way through MONARCH OF THE GLEN last year. What a hoot!

If you're into Scotland, try DOCTOR FINLAY...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doctor_Finlay

...and the two series of REBUS.

Slade
Slade

Postby Judy » Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:43 pm

Mbwun wrote:It wouldn't be so bad if they'd go back to the beginning episodes of shows like HEARTBEAT, THE ROYAL, and MIDSOMER MURDERS, when they start over again, but they keep just going back 3 or 4 series, and showing those episodes over, and over, and over again.

And as for MIDSOMER MURDERS, the only episodes they haven't shown are the ones belonging to the current series being filmed. And the last episode of that series isn't expected to air in the UK until well into 2011, so it's going to be at least a year or more before they can start airing them here. They might as well go back and start airing these shows from the start.

Well I have Midsomer Murders on DVD up to season 14 so far . . . so I can watch them whenever I want. But the remainder won't be released to DVD for awhile yet . . . so I'll have to wait until the whole coll. is finally out on DVD. But I enjoy re-watching them when I'm in the mood.
Judy

Postby Mbwun » Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:05 am

Yeah, but at least you have the opportunity to go back to the beginning and watch all the episodes over again when you get to the last one. Try just seeing about 4 series worth over and over again, when you know full well the station owns everything but the series that's currently in production.

I'd much prefer to see the earlier episodes, as, of the three people that Barnaby has been paired with, DS Troy is my favourite.

On another note ... watched CHIEFS in its entirety yesterday. I've figured out from the advertisements that I taped this sometime in mid 1988. Did you know that a pizza from Pizza Hut cost a whole $1.99 then? My things have changed.

Wish there were some way to shame CBS into putting the miniseries out on DVD in its entirety. When it was put out on VHS, they hacked the daylights out of the middle installment, with Chief Sonny Butts - and that's the version that's been available on foreign DVDs of it, other than a very poor quality German release.

To this day I wonder if the reason for chopping most of the Sonny Butts episode out, might be because puritanical CBS didn't want to put too much of the episode featuring Brad Davis, the actor who was the first relatively high profile celebrity to die of AIDS, on the home video version. I can still remember the big hubbub surrounding his death.

AMBITIOUS, BUT RUBBISH!
Mbwun

Postby Slade » Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:12 am

Slade

Postby Judy » Sat Jul 03, 2010 8:35 am

Mbwun wrote:Yeah, but at least you have the opportunity to go back to the beginning and watch all the episodes over again when you get to the last one. Try just seeing about 4 series worth over and over again, when you know full well the station owns everything but the series that's currently in production.

I'd much prefer to see the earlier episodes, as, of the three people that Barnaby has been paired with, DS Troy is my favourite.

On another note ... watched CHIEFS in its entirety yesterday. I've figured out from the advertisements that I taped this sometime in mid 1988. Did you know that a pizza from Pizza Hut cost a whole $1.99 then? My things have changed.

Wish there were some way to shame CBS into putting the miniseries out on DVD in its entirety. When it was put out on VHS, they hacked the daylights out of the middle installment, with Chief Sonny Butts - and that's the version that's been available on foreign DVDs of it, other than a very poor quality German release.

To this day I wonder if the reason for chopping most of the Sonny Butts episode out, might be because puritanical CBS didn't want to put too much of the episode featuring Brad Davis, the actor who was the first relatively high profile celebrity to die of AIDS, on the home video version. I can still remember the big hubbub surrounding his death.

I know what you mean by airing only certain episodes . . . I kept trying to view House,M.D. but often I was working or doing something else and would miss the current one . . . and when I finally was home to see it . . . it ended up being a rerun or one I already owned on DVD. I finally gave up and figured that I would just wait for the release of the whole season on DVD . . . then I could watch them in order and without commercials.
I remember watching CHIEFS when it first aired on TV . . . but I never viewed either the VHS or DVD . . . so I don't know about the re-editing issue. I do know that on occasion some movies and shows that were released on VHS and then later re-released in a DVD format were changed. I have one such movie . . . and when I was trying to decide if I wanted to buy the DVD version . . . I rented it first - only to discover that they had totally edited out the ending that was on the VHS version. That spoiled it for me . . . so that's why I still have a VHS player and quite a few movie on tape . . . so my video collection encompasses several viewing options. I refuse to change over to Blue-Ray . . . I'm not buying the same movie again just for the supposed features that they provide . . . you can only have so many copies of GONE WITH THE WIND . . .
:roll: :twisted:
Judy

Postby Mbwun » Sat Jul 03, 2010 3:52 pm

What film was that that had a different ending on the DVD, than on the VHS copy?

I'm on my third version of GONE WITH THE WIND. I owned the last VHS version ever released (purchased used), then found a used DVD of it and upgraded to that. Then one day I found a new copy of the 4 disc version on sale cheap, and upgraded to that. I will not be upgrading to the version that was recently released, since I don't really watch it all that often anyhow.

Judy wrote:Well I have Midsomer Murders on DVD up to season 14 so far . . . so I can watch them whenever I want. But the remainder won't be released to DVD for awhile yet . . . so I'll have to wait until the whole coll. is finally out on DVD. But I enjoy re-watching them when I'm in the mood.

Season 14? That's a neat trick, since they're currently working on Series 13. :wink:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0118401/

They must have split some of the series up into more than one DVD set, since they have a set 16 listed on amazon as soon to be released.

Knowledge doesn't play the episodes hap-hazardly, they started with Series 1, episode 1, and worked their way through in order. But, for the past couple of years, when they've gotten to the final episode they currently own, they've only gone back about 4 series and started over again with those particular series.

That was fine when they were in the process of purchasing a new series, as when they got to the last repeated episode, they'd transition right into the newly purchased unaired episodes. But, they got to the last episode in Series 12 a couple of times ago, and now we just see the same 4 series over, and over again.

Considering how long it's going to be before Series 13 is completed in the UK, and how long it will be until they can purchase it, I just don't see why they don't go back to the first episode and start over again.

AMBITIOUS, BUT RUBBISH!
Mbwun

Next

Return to Multi-Media