Classic film suggestions

Sladists are media maniacs...I mean lovers. Movies, Books, Music & Sports are all here.

Classic film suggestions

Postby Cawdorgraves » Sat Jul 10, 2010 4:45 am

Howdy folks,

So I have a bit of a conundrum.

This week I have been on a journey to watch movies from the 90/00's or really welcome any period that tell a good tale of history or classic novels.

The 2 that I was intrigued to watch were:

The Man in the Iron Mask 1997 version
The Count of Monty Cristo 2001 version

Yes i am a sucker for modern acting/film techniques so I tend to find myself preferring these remakes to the originals. Call me a sell out but well I prefer the cinematography/costumes etc.

I know I could watch - Amadeus, Immortal Beloved, Zorro, and even Moll Flanders. But I know these movies very well and wish to maybe see something new that I don't yet know. As well it satisfies my craving for the adventure, the tale, the intrigue, and of course the deceit, adventure, and lust.

I haven't watched Elizabeth the Golden years in a while and when I did it was a while ago. The same with the french female revolutionist (name is slipping my mind) but I have that movie as well.

Ugh! I love films and have seen so many yet was hoping people here might be able to make some suggestions/recommendations that I could explore.

Thanks.

CG
------------------------------------------
D E F O R M A T O R Y
In The Wake Of Pestilence
https://deformatory.bigcartel.com
Cawdorgraves

Postby i.am.sladist » Sat Jul 10, 2010 2:30 pm

Good day to you Sir! My goodness you are very far away ...
No so good with films however the best that come to my mind, and you've probably seen them all ...

1. Quills (2000)
2. The Patriot (2000)
(or any of the epic saga's that Gibson does)
3. The Scarlet Letter (1995)
(Because anything with Gary Oldman is worth watching)
4. King Arthur (2004)
(I liked Clive Owen as Arthur)
5. Miller's Crossing (1990)
Happened across it one day and it kinda grabbed my, not sure why.
6. Death and the Maiden (1994)
(Not really a period film but worth watching ... stellar)
7. Ravenous (1999)
(this I give an honourable mention. I enjoyed it)
I am Evil.
I am Woman.
I am Sladist.
i.am.sladist

Postby Mbwun » Sat Jul 10, 2010 3:40 pm

I believe Cawdorgraves lives in Ottawa, Ontario now - he just hasn't updated the information in his profile for a while.

Cawdorgraves ... if your already viewes list doesn't include Michael Mann's THE LAST OF THE MOHICANS, then you need to remedy that.

I'd also recommend THE LAST LEGION, mentioned today in the "So What Are You Watching????" thread.

If you haven't at least seen them once already, you should probably give TROY, and ALEXANDER a view. They may not be the greatest films ever made, but I thought they were OK. TROY is definitely better than ALEXANDER. I've only seen the ALEXANDER REVISITED version (there are now three versions of it).

You've probably seen GLADIATOR, but have you seen Ridley Scott's KINGDOM OF HEAVEN? If not, best to watch the the Director's Cut.

I guess I should go down and check my DVD collection - see what else I have in it.
How hard can it be? - Jeremy Clarkson
Make no mistake, this is a Supercar. Looks good .. goes fast .. nothing else matters. - Jeremy Clarkson

AMBITIOUS, BUT RUBBISH!
Mbwun

Postby Mbwun » Sat Jul 10, 2010 4:01 pm

Other good ones:

TRISTAN + ISOLDE
MASTER AND COMMANDER
OUT OF AFRICA
OCTOBER SKY
TITUS (with Anthony Hopkins, and Jessica Lange)

By ZORRO, I'm assuming you mean the two with Antonio Banderas. If not, at least the first one, THE MASK OF ZORRO.

If you're one of the few who haven't seen it, TITANIC.

And I know I'm going to be crucified by certain people here ( PohlSE, and dreab trawets, I'm looking at you :wink: ), but I'm one of the few who actually liked Michael Bay's PEARL HARBOR. I prefer the Director's Cut to the theatrical version. It's your typical Michael Bay, over-the-top, screwing a bit with history ... fest, so you might want to wash your eyes and ears out with a watching of TORA, TORA, TORA afterwards. :wink:

Have you ever seen John Boorman's films THE EMERALD FOREST, or HOPE AND GLORY? They're based on actual events.
Make no mistake, this is a Supercar. Looks good .. goes fast .. nothing else matters. - Jeremy Clarkson

AMBITIOUS, BUT RUBBISH!
Mbwun

Postby Slade » Sat Jul 10, 2010 4:36 pm

CG,

Get into THE TUDORS, and watch the multiple series in order. Lots of gore, sex, and conspiracy.

Also, ROB ROY. Tim Roth steals the show as Archibald Cunningham.

And MOUNTAINS OF THE MOON:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0100196/

Since you know the Orient, try THE PAINTED VEIL. It's got a killer of a last line:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0446755/

Slade
Slade

Postby Cawdorgraves » Sat Jul 10, 2010 4:45 pm

Tudors is over! a great show surely. Actually the boy in The Count of Monte Cristo was the king's best friend in the series of the Tudors.

MBWUN you are correct I forgot to update my profile. Kind of makes me laugh. I've been back 3 years now and forgot to update my info haha! As for many of the flicks you have recommended I've either seen recently or in the last lil while. October Sky caught me by surprise as its out of context from the others but for sure a fabulous flick.

Pearl Harbor is a great flick certainly. A Michael Bay movie but still had its moments.

I've not heard of the Emerald Forest.

Last of the Mohicans remains one of my fav 90's flicks. Heck I listened to the soundtrack for years as it is very impressive.

Death and the Maiden I've not heard/seen that one. Ravenous was a bizarre flick about cannibalism but I have always enjoyed Guy Pearce. Even Perscilla Queen of the Dessert.

I was suppose to go and be an extra on the set for the Scarlett Letter. That would've been cool. And well Demi Moore is just so hot - damn you Asthon Kutchner! Mega MILF (sorry folks)
D E F O R M A T O R Y
Cawdorgraves

Postby Mbwun » Sat Jul 10, 2010 4:57 pm

Not heard of THE EMERALD FOREST? Lots of nudity in that flick, albeit in a more National Geographic sort of way.

Based on the true story of a white child abducted by natives in the jungles of South America, and raised as one of their own. His father spent years looking for him.

I quite enjoy THE SCARLET LETTER too. I even own the DVD - pity it's only available in fullscreen though.

Also, if you don't mind subtitles, I've recommended a couple of Chinese films here lately that fit into your Historical category - the two part version of John Woo's RED CLIFF, and a film that won awards at the 1999 Cannes Film Festival, THE EMPEROR AND THE ASSASSIN. The first is currently the most expensive film ever made in China, and the second is also one of the most expensive films ever made in China.

AMBITIOUS, BUT RUBBISH!
Mbwun

Postby Mbwun » Sat Jul 10, 2010 5:46 pm

Oh, and have you seen THE CRUCIBLE, with Daniel Day Lewis, and Winona Ryder?

There's also GANGS OF NEW YORK THE BOUNTY, IN THE NAME OF THE FATHER - pretty much anything with Daniel Day Lewis in it.

AMBITIOUS, BUT RUBBISH!
Mbwun

Postby Slade » Sat Jul 10, 2010 6:54 pm

CG,

There's one more season of THE TUDORS to come.

Slade
Slade

Postby Cawdorgraves » Sat Jul 10, 2010 8:50 pm

Well Slade season 4 may not have been released here but I have already watched it as it was released weekly in the States as it is available via bit torrents to watch. So now I am all caught up and the show has wrapped. the Director was dumbfounded with what to do with themself after 5 years of devotion to the one show.

CG
D E F O R M A T O R Y
Cawdorgraves

Postby Cawdorgraves » Sat Jul 10, 2010 8:55 pm

An alternative to using Bit Torrents is to use a free online site called www.surfthechannel.com to view lots of different programs to choose from. Television link the click the megavideo links. You click the red button after clicking the host link. That sometimes will pop up a poker game window, close that and you discover a red button to click which starts the program you wish to watch.

Note that there are somtimes a few different versions of various quality files so sometimes you have to play around. Buffering time can also be a pain so you have to wait for the file to buffer before watching it. Only real limitation is you can watch 72 minutes of the program then have to return an hour later to finish watching which can seem like a pain but hey its free and at your finger tips.

Anyway, just thought I would mention this for any of you who don't already know about it and would care to watch shows/films/sports etc.

CG
D E F O R M A T O R Y
Cawdorgraves

Postby PohlSE » Sat Jul 10, 2010 11:19 pm

Mbwun wrote:And I know I'm going to be crucified by certain people here ( PohlSE, and dreab trawets, I'm looking at you :wink: ), but I'm one of the few who actually liked Michael Bay's PEARL HARBOR.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwF5i8hwGt4

:wink:
PohlSE
Webmaster

Postby Mbwun » Sun Jul 11, 2010 4:59 pm

Cawdorgraves,

You might want to look out for the THE PILLARS OF THE EARTH miniseries that's going to start airing on July 23. It's going to be on The Movie Network, and Movie Central, here in Canada, and Starz in the US.

Based on the Ken Follett novel, and produced by Ridley Scott, with a pretty great cast lineup, it looks like it's going to be pretty good. Wish it was being aired on a channel we get here at our house, but we only have basic cable.

http://www.the-pillars-of-the-earth.tv/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pU3bUJroGNg

AMBITIOUS, BUT RUBBISH!
Mbwun

Postby Cawdorgraves » Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:52 am

Looks intriguing.

Ian McShee rocks.

Donald Sutherland always does a great job.

I will be sure to check it out when it comes available.

Mbwun you can always check the shows out on the before mentioned link I showed you.

CG
D E F O R M A T O R Y
Cawdorgraves

Postby krista in ma » Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:46 pm

Mbwun wrote:.....Have you ever seen John Boorman's films THE EMERALD FOREST, or HOPE AND GLORY?.....

I've never heard of The Emerald Forest, but I adore Hope and Glory! It's been ages since I've watched it (even thought of it!).

That got me thinking of another "period" movie I enjoyed (not sure if it's been mentioned? sorry!) ~ Empire of the Sun

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wv9rirLk2kA

--------------------------------

Another "period" movie I enjoyed ~ Andersonville ~ a made-for-tv (1996 / TNT) film directed by John Frankenheimer. "The story of the most notorious Confederate prisoner of war camp in the American Civil War."

Not sure if those fall into the type of movie(s) you are looking for Cawdorgraves!
~ Spc. Byron W. Fouty, MI ~ Staff Sgt. Alex R. Jimenez, MA ~
They have served our nation; together they are home.
~ Staff Sgt. Keith Matthew Maupin ~
An American Son Returns Home
krista in ma

Next

Return to Multi-Media