Five films you never want to see remade

Sladists are media maniacs...I mean lovers. Movies, Books, Music & Sports are all here.

Re: Five films you never want to see remade

Postby Tautriadelta » Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:25 pm

HUM been pondering for a list...but you know I usually hate remakes...and the ONLY good one in my opinion is Halloween by Rob Zombie...but the ones I'd hate to be retouched
-Equilibrium
-Hellraiser
-Scream
(they actually remade 2 that would have been in my list...planet of the apes and Last House on the Left)
-Maltese Falcon
-Once upon a time in the west
Land of our birth,we pledge to thee
Our love and toil in the years to be;
When we are grown and take our place
As men and women of our race.
Tautriadelta

Postby raasnio » Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:05 pm

I enjoyed Halloween as well. I'm a huge Clive Barker fan and I wouldn't mind a Hellraiser remake, but they lost the director (more like pushed him away, I believe) that I wanted to do it so I may be leaning towards not wanting a remake at this point.
The most merciful thing in the world... is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. - H. P. Lovecraft
raasnio
techno-guru / co-administrator

Postby dlsevern » Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:21 pm

jellybelly wrote:I don't think i have read that Mr. Slade, mind you i haven't read any graphic novels for a good while. My local library has a selection of graphic novels so i'll go and have a look soon, you never know.

Yes just a cameo wouldn't do Heath or the Joker justice but would it have suffered the Spiderman 3 syndrome...too many villains spoil the broth...we'll never know i suppose because i read somewhere that Nolan wouldn't have anything allude to the Joker in the new film, still just as a nod it would have been good to have something...maybe something as simple as maniacal laughing from a cell...?

Hell i only just found out that Victor Zsaz (correct spelling ?) had a tiny scene in Batman Begins... :scratch:

What are your thoughts on the choice of actor for Bane ? A lot of people have laughed off Tom Hardy, i like Tom as an actor and whilst he is very fit and bulky he is a bit, well, small compared to our 'visions' of Bane. Still that new trailer shows him to be pretty kick arse.

I thought Tom did almost as good of a job as Bane as Heath did with the Joker.
dlsevern

Postby Tautriadelta » Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:24 pm

yep Raas ^^, am like you..a big fan of Clive and I guess in the proper hands (like Halloween) a remake of Hellraiser could be good...have you seen both versions of Last House on the left (original was Wes Craven and in remake I believe he produced it...)

PS: you're right jellybean Victor Zsasz had a small cameo in Begins (guess they took some notes from Raimi..in his Spider-man flicks we had Dr. Connors aka Lizard appear in the movies..he just never develloped completely ^^)
Tautriadelta

Postby raasnio » Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:10 am

Tautriadelta wrote:yep Raas ^^, am like you..a big fan of Clive and I guess in the proper hands (like Halloween) a remake of Hellraiser could be good...have you seen both versions of Last House on the left (original was Wes Craven and in remake I believe he produced it...)

PS: you're right jellybean Victor Zsasz had a small cameo in Begins (guess they took some notes from Raimi..in his Spider-man flicks we had Dr. Connors aka Lizard appear in the movies..he just never develloped completely ^^)

Haven't seen the new Last House on the Left. Not sure I've seen the original either. I have seen both the original The Hills Have Eyes and the remake, though.
The most merciful thing in the world... is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. - H. P. Lovecraft
raasnio

Postby Tautriadelta » Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:05 pm

damn Raas :O, I completely forgot about those 2 remakes (originals by wes Craven and remakes by Alexandre Aja) Aja did a great job for remakes...he also did remake of Piranha which was pretty gory ^^ and he brought us french movie Haute Tension(great)...what are your thoughts on Hills remake? Last House Original by Wes dates by to 1974 and remake 2009
Tautriadelta

Postby raasnio » Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:25 pm

Tautriadelta wrote:damn Raas :O, I completely forgot about those 2 remakes (originals by wes Craven and remakes by Alexandre Aja) Aja did a great job for remakes...he also did remake of Piranha which was pretty gory ^^ and he brought us french movie Haute Tension(great)...what are your thoughts on Hills remake? Last House Original by Wes dates by to 1974 and remake 2009

Well, they both had their strong and weak points. If I could take 50% from each of the two films and mix them together I think I could get a damn good film out of it. Aja's films look good, but I haven't been a huge fan of any of them. They're watchable. I saw Piranha and thought it was his weakest film. Haute Tension looked great, had good performances, and was good for a while, but I really disliked the story/writing. I'd say that the Hills remake is his best film, but I believe he's capable of making something even better. Time will tell.

Horror remakes can be tricky. The source material should be good to start with and then the filmmakers need to decide why they're remaking it. Trouble with me is that I haven't really been a fan of Craven's. He's got some films under his belt that I like, but for the most part they're just OK. His Nightmare on Elm Street was needing to be remade as the original is pretty rough. Too many bad edits make it hard to sit through today. That remake was terrible. Not sure Craven has the spark anymore because the one thing that he used to have was a clear love for the genre and that seems to be missing altogether these days. He's not the only one either as Carpenter & Romero also seem to have gotten lost along the way.

I have now added the original Last House on the Left film to my Netflix queue. I'll check it out when I get the chance. Apparently, it was released the same year I was born.
raasnio

Previous

Return to Multi-Media