Five films you never want to see remade

Sladists are media maniacs...I mean lovers. Movies, Books, Music & Sports are all here.

Five films you never want to see remade

Postby raasnio » Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:14 am

What are 5 films that you never want to see remade?

Here are five I came up with:

Jaws
Patton
Alien
Martyrs
Die Hard

*I realize that Martyrs is probably going to be remade as there is a director attached, but there's no way it will be worth it. Just as Let Me In was inferior to Let the Right One In, I see the American version of Martyrs as unnecessary. It's already been done right. If people can't deal with subtitles then so be it.
The most merciful thing in the world... is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. - H. P. Lovecraft
raasnio
techno-guru / co-administrator

Postby Mbwun » Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:20 pm

I'm not familiar with MARTYRS, and have never seen PATTON, due to an intense dislike of George C. Scott. But will agree with you on the other three.

I'll try to come up with a list of my own, but it might take a few days, as I'm having one of those days today where I'm not really much in the mood for posting.
How hard can it be? - Jeremy Clarkson
Make no mistake, this is a Supercar. Looks good .. goes fast .. nothing else matters. - Jeremy Clarkson

AMBITIOUS, BUT RUBBISH!
Mbwun

Postby EZ Rhino » Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:36 am

The Commitments
Silence of the Lambs
The Fabulous Baker Boys
The Fifth Element
Strange Days
I wish the media would report more on public service and charity news instead of gossip. It is of much greater value. - Jackie Chan
EZ Rhino

Postby PohlSE » Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:38 am

Raiders of the Lost Ark

Alien

The Outlaw Josey Wales

The Killer (unfortunately this is going to be remade)

Twelve Monkeys

Having said all that; with my white-hot hatred of the remake machine in Hollywood I could extend this list into infinity!

I won't pay a dime to see whatever abortion comes from their attempt to remake The Killer but I would pay full price to see the original on the big screen.
PohlSE
Webmaster

Postby Mbwun » Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:55 pm

I decided not to reiterate some of the suggestions already made here, but to add 5 new films of my own choosing - although some of the suggestions already made here I fully agree with.

My list ...

EL CID - please do not try to remake this great epic.

IT'S A MAD MAD MAD MAD WORLD - Hollywood would be hard put to even find a fraction of the true comedic talent to ever remake this, amongst what passes for comedians today.

SLAP SHOT - yes, they've made sequels to it now - I refuse to watch them. Hockey has changed so much since this film was made that I think you'd be hard put to get this level of comedy using the new rules of the game anyway.

GRAND PRIX - It would wind up being a CG fest, since you'd never get F1 to agree to let you film on location during the race season, in order to obtain real live footage of the races.

L.A. CONFIDENTIAL - I think it would be difficult to improve upon what was accomplished with this film.
Make no mistake, this is a Supercar. Looks good .. goes fast .. nothing else matters. - Jeremy Clarkson

AMBITIOUS, BUT RUBBISH!
Mbwun

Postby krista in ma » Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:47 am

while I could probably say "no remakes!" to any of the films I like.... my first three thoughts are:

The Cowboys
starring John Wayne
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gqmy20jx5MQ

Hatari!
starring John Wayne
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzaQI6_h07I

and

Fortress
starring Rachel Ward
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FAB_mM5ttU

stay away from my movies, please and thank you!
~ Spc. Byron W. Fouty, MI ~ Staff Sgt. Alex R. Jimenez, MA ~
They have served our nation; together they are home.
~ Staff Sgt. Keith Matthew Maupin ~
An American Son Returns Home
krista in ma

Postby raasnio » Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:32 am

I wanted to start this thread because there are some films, such as Silence of the Lambs, that can't really be remade because they can never be topped by a remake. The cast, the script, the score, etc. All of the elements synced together to create the ultimate experience.

There are films that I love that could be remade. There are even some films that exist today that are proof that remaking them was a poor idea. The Psycho remake is one example. It's just a scene by scene recreation with an inferior cast. Pointless.

Also, I limited the number to 5 as it makes it tougher to come up with the lists and, in addition, allows others to chime in.
The most merciful thing in the world... is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. - H. P. Lovecraft
raasnio

Postby dreab trawets » Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:39 pm

ALIENS
BEVERLY HILL COP 1 (rest were not as good)
THE ITALIAN JOB (Yes i know technically they did, but to make an actual remake, coach and all, of the original Starring Michael Caine would be sacriledge)
PAINT YOUR WAGON
ANY DIRTY HARRY FILM.
“After my head has been chopped off, will I still be able to hear, at least for a moment , the sound of my own blood gushing from my neck? That would be the best pleasure to end all pleasure. “
dreab trawets

Location: like someone had combined shrimp and tomato soup and then forgot to put the lid on the blender

Postby i.am.sladist » Fri Jun 03, 2011 5:16 pm

Hmmm ....

Jaws- (I'd rather see Meg made into a movie)

Star Wars (Episode 3 which was the first movie)

The Wizard of Oz

Psycho (Which was already done, scene for scene, and look how that turned out ...)

Highlander (Don't mess with perfection)
I am Evil.
I am Woman.
I am Sladist.
i.am.sladist

Postby Mbwun » Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:04 pm

Steve Alten has said that there will be big news about a MEG movie coming in next month's news letter.

As for a remake of HIGHLANDER, there is - unfortunately - a remake tentatively in the works:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1235529/

Don't you mean STAR WARS episode 4? Episode 3 is that REVENGE OF THE SITH one with Hayden Christensen in it.

AMBITIOUS, BUT RUBBISH!
Mbwun

Postby i.am.sladist » Sat Jun 04, 2011 4:36 pm

My bad ... you're right, Episode 4. They get so confusing because for me groing up is was Star Wars 1, 2 and 3 ...
Now it's Star Wars Episode 5, second film, Star Wars Episode 2, fifth film.
MEG would be awesome ...

And I thought about this, the opposite: What films would I LIKE to see re-made- Relic. Was such a great book, the movie was just terrible!
I am Evil.
I am Woman.
I am Sladist.
i.am.sladist

Postby Mbwun » Sat Jun 04, 2011 8:41 pm

Unlike you, I think I'd actually like to see a HIGHLANDER remake - this time by someone capable of making sequels that don't nullify a whole pile of the plot of the film before it.

AMBITIOUS, BUT RUBBISH!
Mbwun

Postby raasnio » Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:22 pm

i.am.sladist wrote:My bad ... you're right, Episode 4. They get so confusing because for me groing up is was Star Wars 1, 2 and 3 ...
Now it's Star Wars Episode 5, second film, Star Wars Episode 2, fifth film.
MEG would be awesome ...

And I thought about this, the opposite: What films would I LIKE to see re-made- Relic. Was such a great book, the movie was just terrible!

I'll start a new thread for films we want to see remade.

:)
raasnio

Postby dreab trawets » Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Mbwun wrote...

Unlike you, I think I'd actually like to see a HIGHLANDER remake - this time by someone capable of making sequels that don't nullify a whole pile of the plot of the film before it.

Sacriledge..!!!!!
Just bring out a better copy of the original, with the sound pumped up..
You cannot replace the original, and anybody that believes that should have mowed grass rubbed in their best clothes..

And come on... who would do the soundtrack...
“After my head has been chopped off, will I still be able to hear, at least for a moment , the sound of my own blood gushing from my neck? That would be the best pleasure to end all pleasure. “
dreab trawets

Location: like someone had combined shrimp and tomato soup and then forgot to put the lid on the blender

Postby Judy » Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:06 pm

I had to ponder this awhile . . . but here's 5 - there could be more but since we're limited . . .

To Kill A Mockingbird
The Bad Seed (the 1956 version)
The Exorcist (the original . . . not all the sequels)
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
Sybil (the made for TV movie with Sally Field)

I know the Bad Seed was re-made already . . . but I never saw that version . . Patty McCormack was truly wicked . . . even though Hollywood changed the ending from the book . . . it still was a great story.
Judy

Next

Return to Multi-Media