Five films you never want to see remade

Sladists are media maniacs...I mean lovers. Movies, Books, Music & Sports are all here.

Postby SickThing » Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:08 pm

i.am.sladist wrote:Hmmm ....
The Wizard of Oz

There is a remake of this one in the works.... And of course, there've already been The Wiz and Oz (TV mini-series).....

Hunter
SickThing

Postby krista in ma » Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:40 am

SickThing wrote:
i.am.sladist wrote:Hmmm ....
The Wizard of Oz

There is a remake of this one in the works.... And of course, there've already been The Wiz and Oz (TV mini-series).....

Hunter

I enjoyed "Return to Oz", which took some of the original characters, but gave a whole different story line to them. I really don't need to see a remake of the original.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipivUGVydMY
~ Spc. Byron W. Fouty, MI ~ Staff Sgt. Alex R. Jimenez, MA ~
They have served our nation; together they are home.
~ Staff Sgt. Keith Matthew Maupin ~
An American Son Returns Home
krista in ma

Re:

Postby dlsevern » Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:43 pm

Judy wrote:I had to ponder this awhile . . . but here's 5 - there could be more but since we're limited . . .

To Kill A Mockingbird
The Bad Seed (the 1956 version)
The Exorcist (the original . . . not all the sequels)
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
Sybil (the made for TV movie with Sally Field)

I know the Bad Seed was re-made already . . . but I never saw that version . . Patty McCormack was truly wicked . . . even though Hollywood changed the ending from the book . . . it still was a great story.

I'm 100% with you on To Kill a Mockingbird, The Exorcist, and One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest. I've never seen The Bad Seed or Sybil.
dlsevern

Re: Five films you never want to see remade

Postby jellybelly » Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:11 pm

Hmmm...

Enter the dragon (a remake has been on the cards but not heard anything since, besides who could better Bruce Lee, not just for the fighting but the enormous screen presence he had, the last i read was that a guy called Rain would play Bruce's role, he was in one of those recent kung fu films i think, something about the Samurai).

Raiders of the lost Ark

Cruising (fans want a remake to flesh out the story better than what the original had because of it's missing 40 minutes...despite the subject matter and it's grimy feel i quite enjoy the film, have seen it a few times now...my wife suspected me of 'turning' at one point ha,ha, i love how ambiguous the film is, especially the end...)

Jaws

Can't think of a fifth :lollol:
jellybelly

Postby Cawdorgraves » Sat Jun 16, 2012 6:53 am

These just can't be beat nor need to be remade

- Brazil
- Road Warrior (albeit the 2nd of 3 films but it is my childhood classic)
- Pi
- LOTR - no body had better attempt to touch what Peter Jackson has achieved with this franchise.

Although a sequel would be cool but:

- Maximum Overdrive was such a classic film. Blood motor biker sliding down the bridge! yea ha baby
- National Lampoons Christmas Vacation / Fletch films!

Sadly with all the super hero craze, I wish they would just leave certain franchises alone. I mean seriously, Spiderman is barely cold and they are jump starting the franchise. And now with the Avengers all these super team group of super hero's they wish to turn into film. Ugh leave it alone already - beaten to death. But unfortunately where there is a way to make a cash cow for hollywood they churn out films cause they know there is a demand.

Now I am not saying they should remake this however, despite saying what I said above about super hero comics becoming films I would like to see more of the Punisher series as the first film just wasn't enough. And I wouldn't mind seeing another Riddick film.

But it will be really hard to watch any other rendition of Batman if it doesn't have Chris Nolan's name attached to it frankly.

As for the Hulk I personally quite enjoyed the first Ang Lee film over the other garbage (my opinion) that was released. Sure the Mark Ruffalo did a not so bad job but truthfully what was sooooooo wrong with the first actor? But come on at no time was the 2nd film worthy of the actor who protrayed the big green guy.

Oh lastly, I saw the trailer for the Great Gatsby today and I was disappointed that they strayed from the book and original film. Robert Redford had class, now there is DeCRAPpio in the role. Very discouraging even if the film does turn out to be entertaining. Truthfully what I saw reminded me much more of Meet Joe Black.

Ok I lied:

Pretty Woman doesn't need to be remade, nor frankly did it need to be made :P haha wowsers I'm gonna get shit for this one :P haha.

CG
------------------------------------------
D E F O R M A T O R Y
In The Wake Of Pestilence
https://deformatory.bigcartel.com
Cawdorgraves

Postby SickThing » Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:32 pm

Cawdorgraves wrote:But it will be really hard to watch any other rendition of Batman if it doesn't have Chris Nolan's name attached to it frankly.

I don't understand all the love for Nolan's Batman films. Batman Begins was OK, but I saw The Dark Knight in IMAX when it opened and was really disappointed with it. I don't understand why so many people think it's the best. Yes, Heath Ledger was surprisingly good, but Christian Bale was awful (especially his Batman growl), the plot was idiotic (a device that lets Batman listen in on everyone in Gotham?), what's-her-face that replaced what's-her-name made me really appreciate the first what's-her-name (Katie Holmes). I have never had the desire to watch that film again, and I have no interest in seeing the new one.

I mean, I'm glad you like them, but while I'm sick to death of Batman anyway, I look forward to a version that isn't Nolan's---except that I know that it'll look just like Nolan's....

As for the Hulk I personally quite enjoyed the first Ang Lee film over the other garbage (my opinion) that was released. Sure the Mark Ruffalo did a not so bad job but truthfully what was sooooooo wrong with the first actor? But come on at no time was the 2nd film worthy of the actor who protrayed the big green guy.

Eric Bana was OK in Ang Lee's film, but the story (Hulked-out dogs?) and the CGI was ludicrous. I never really bought Ed Norton as Bruce Banner, but the CGI was a little better. But it wasn't until The Avengers that Hulk was really believable and looked like more than just a cartoon.

Pretty Woman doesn't need to be remade, nor frankly did it need to be made :P haha wowsers I'm gonna get shit for this one :P haha.

On that, we agree!

Hunter
SickThing

Postby dlsevern » Sun Jul 01, 2012 4:05 pm

I don't understand all the love for Nolan's Batman films.

Because they are great, much better than Burton's two stinkers and way better than the two turds that followed his. Christian Bale wouldn't have been my first choice for Batman but neither would Michael Keaton, Val Kilmer, or George Clooney. The villains have always been the best thing about Batman anyway, even in the comic books. Jack Nicholson's Joker was great, Ledger's was perfect.
dlsevern

Postby jellybelly » Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:26 pm

dlsevern wrote:

Because they are great, much better than Burton's two stinkers and way better than the two turds that followed his. Christian Bale wouldn't have been my first choice for Batman but neither would Michael Keaton, Val Kilmer, or George Clooney. The villains have always been the best thing about Batman anyway, even in the comic books. Jack Nicholson's Joker was great, Ledger's was perfect.

I agree, Heath did an excellent job. Out of interest, assuming Heath was still with us, how do you think The dark knight rises would have panned out ? Still have Bane and have the Joker break out of an institution / prison ?
jellybelly

Postby dlsevern » Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:33 pm

Out of interest, assuming Heath was still with us, how do you think The dark knight rises would have panned out ? Still have Bane and have the Joker break out of an institution / prison ?

I think he would have been a major villain, probably not the main one, but more than just a cameo like you said. Truth is, I am okay with Bane being in this one but I would have rather have seen a new villain like Hush: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hush_%28comics%29. He was one of Batman's greatest challenges but you never see him.
dlsevern

Postby Slade » Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:12 pm

I assume you've both read ARKHAM ASYLUM:

http://www.amazon.com/Batman-Arkham-Asy ... 0930289560

I've been reading Batman since the early 1950s, and I loved how AH did a Jungian analysis of the Joker and other arch-villains.

Heady stuff!

Slade
Slade

Postby dlsevern » Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:00 am

I don't think I have read that one Slade, course I have a hard time remembering what I ate for lunch yesterday too, but I I'm pretty sure I've never read that Arkham Asylum
dlsevern

Postby jellybelly » Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:54 am

I don't think i have read that Mr. Slade, mind you i haven't read any graphic novels for a good while. My local library has a selection of graphic novels so i'll go and have a look soon, you never know.

Yes just a cameo wouldn't do Heath or the Joker justice but would it have suffered the Spiderman 3 syndrome...too many villains spoil the broth...we'll never know i suppose because i read somewhere that Nolan wouldn't have anything allude to the Joker in the new film, still just as a nod it would have been good to have something...maybe something as simple as maniacal laughing from a cell...?

Hell i only just found out that Victor Zsaz (correct spelling ?) had a tiny scene in Batman Begins... :scratch:

What are your thoughts on the choice of actor for Bane ? A lot of people have laughed off Tom Hardy, i like Tom as an actor and whilst he is very fit and bulky he is a bit, well, small compared to our 'visions' of Bane. Still that new trailer shows him to be pretty kick arse.
jellybelly

Postby SickThing » Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:36 pm

dlsevern wrote:

I had big problems with Burton's films, and yes, the two that came after were total garbage. But that doesn't automatically elevate the Nolan films to great just because it was better than what came before (and frankly, I prefer Burton's first Batman to The Dark Knight).

Nicholson's Joker would have been a lot better if we hadn't already seen Nicholson do that same shtick several times before.... That's part of what made Ledger's performance so memorable: nobody knew he had it in him. Casting Nicholson as the Joker was too obvious....

Hunter
SickThing

Postby SickThing » Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:38 pm

jellybelly wrote:Yes just a cameo wouldn't do Heath or the Joker justice but would it have suffered the Spiderman 3 syndrome...too many villains spoil the broth...

That's a problem most all superhero films have had. I don't know why Hollywood producers think "more = better".

Hunter
SickThing

Postby dlsevern » Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:48 pm

I had big problems with Burton's films, and yes, the two that came after were total garbage. But that doesn't automatically elevate the Nolan films to great just because it was better than what came before (and frankly, I prefer Burton's first Batman to The Dark Knight).

If I don't like any of the Batman movies before Nolan tackled it but I do love the Nolan Batman films, then yes, that elevates them for me. The Burton films are just too campy for me and The Dark Knight was way better than the original Batman, IMHO.
dlsevern

PreviousNext

Return to Multi-Media