The Hobbit

Sladists are media maniacs...I mean lovers. Movies, Books, Music & Sports are all here.

The Hobbit

Postby Cawdorgraves » Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:27 pm

Middle Earth continues to reign! Such a gorgeous country New Zealand is. Man it looks sooooo spectacular!

To imagine being apart of that entire 6 film epic legacy must have been an incredible experience.

Have to see this film now in 2D having just seen it in AVX 3D 48 fps.

For 10 years I have known Middle Earth in 2D, so the experience in 3D was hard to digest to be honest. Such a vast difference from any previous 3D film and likely not to be the last. Personally i am not a fan of 3D but considering this film especially was shot in 3D 48 fps and being a huge fan it made only sense to see it the first time how it was meant to be seen.

I am curious to know how others felt. It was remarkable but not yet over. Some parts personally dragged on, some could have been shortened to have better pacing.

And the best is yet to come. Part III will be truly incredible when both series get tied together.

Can't wait!
------------------------------------------
D E F O R M A T O R Y
In The Wake Of Pestilence
https://deformatory.bigcartel.com
Cawdorgraves

Re: The Hobbit

Postby raasnio » Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:24 am

Want to see it and, though I'm not a big 3D fan, found a theater nearby is showing it in HFR (48fps). I'll see it in that format since the director shot it that way.

I don't know when I'll have time, but hopefully before Xmas... I'm taking classes all week so Saturday or Sunday at the earliest and that's if half my family gets over the flu. Luckily, I've dodged that bug for quite some time.
The most merciful thing in the world... is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. - H. P. Lovecraft
raasnio
techno-guru / co-administrator

Postby PohlSE » Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:20 pm

Guys, after you see it in 48 fps and maybe see it is again is standard frame rate would you mind listing some specific differences (good or bad).

So far none of the review I have read have been specific about the difference in visual presentation/appearance... All they talk about is less flicker in 3D and that doesn't tell me anything.

I would really be interested in an honest comparison of the two before I plop down the cash to see it.
PohlSE
Webmaster

Postby Cawdorgraves » Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:01 pm

The thing is for me - the actors feel as though they are present right there in the room and are standing on incredible sets/landscapes.

What bothered me and I wish to see if this is the same in 2D, is near the start of the film in Bagend where Bilbo was putting items into boxes specifically there seemed to be a change in format. Movements were sped up and they didn't feel natural. Even the starting sequence had movement behaviors that didn't feel or seem portrayed as natural. Made me wonder if such footage was shot in a different frame rate and to compensate they sped it up to match the other footage.

Hoping that 2D is similar to LOTR series cause the Hobbit in 3D 48 fps was quite varied.

As to avoiding becoming sick - go see a few movies to stay away from the flu virus.
D E F O R M A T O R Y
Cawdorgraves

Postby raasnio » Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:57 am

Cawdorgraves wrote:The thing is for me - the actors feel as though they are present right there in the room and are standing on incredible sets/landscapes.

What bothered me and I wish to see if this is the same in 2D, is near the start of the film in Bagend where Bilbo was putting items into boxes specifically there seemed to be a change in format. Movements were sped up and they didn't feel natural. Even the starting sequence had movement behaviors that didn't feel or seem portrayed as natural. Made me wonder if such footage was shot in a different frame rate and to compensate they sped it up to match the other footage.

Hoping that 2D is similar to LOTR series cause the Hobbit in 3D 48 fps was quite varied.

As to avoiding becoming sick - go see a few movies to stay away from the flu virus.

Ha. :)

Yeah, I've read reviews from a couple of different people who had seen it in both 48fps and 24fps. I respect Jackson alot so I want to see it the way he intended as well as to see what HFR is like. The reviewers seemed to point out that more stationary scenes looked beter 24fps, but that scenes with more action and movement benefited from the 48fps. Either way, I know I'll go to the HFR showing and see it 24fps at home once the Blu-ray gets released.
The most merciful thing in the world... is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. - H. P. Lovecraft
raasnio

Postby PohlSE » Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:43 pm

Cawdorgraves wrote:

That's interesting; after I posted that message yesterday I went back out to look for more reviews hoping to find one that gave me some explicit examples of how it looked... I found this:

James Rocchi, on Boxoffice.com wrote: “What the 48 frame-per-second projection actually means is flat lighting, a plastic-y look, and, worst of all, a strange sped-up effect that makes perfectly normal actions — say, Martin Freeman's Bilbo Baggins placing a napkin on his lap — look like meth-head hallucinations..”

So the strange sped up feel is a side effect of the HFR.

But it actually makes me want to see it more. :)
PohlSE
Webmaster

Postby Cawdorgraves » Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:48 pm

recognizing that this is brand new technology I'm certain that such mishaps will be figured out in the future. Just bizarre that Peter would allow this to be released in such a state. He has to know that people will be harshly critical of this release.

Hoping such aspects are figured out for the future releases. It detracts from the experience personally.

Plastic - I wouldn't say that but certainly there is a difference in how to appreciate a film in the 48 fps to what we are all familiar with in 24 fps.

An interesting new direction, but like 3D - I don't feel the masses require everything to be switched to such standards of film.

If it ain't broke why fix it. Improve sure but entirely replace, it better be sound technological advancement.

CG
D E F O R M A T O R Y
Cawdorgraves

Postby raasnio » Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:20 am

Saw this in 3D HFR today. Quite enjoyed it. I don't think anyone or anything looked plastic. If anything, everything looked more real. Too real, maybe, for some. It's as if you're really looking at people and places and not a film of them. Makeup is more difficult to pull off.

As for the film, I must say that this is now my favorite in the series. I like these characters more than those of the previous films. The enemies are more interesting as well. Oh, and the Dwarven songs are much better than the one from the Hobbits.
raasnio

Postby Cawdorgraves » Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:19 pm

Over the holidays I was at a mates place and he was showing me the new tv he has with the 3D features and the video features. He was demonstrating them while watching Indiana Jones and the temple of doom, followed by the Matrix and lastly Gears of War video game.

The movies had a whole new feel to them that changed how I know them to be. Colorization/desaturated film effects. All the polish and gloss was gone. It truly feels as though the film has been released to the audience straight out of the camera raw with no alteration being done to filter out light and effects that enhanced the films to make them great.

Pans by the camera were very noticeable and the actors again just seemed to be shot right in spot.

If there was a way to retain all the desired colorization and such as the films were intended, and behaviors that look like "Meth" heads I would maybe enjoy this new technology better. As it is, it just takes away from the enjoyment of watching a film as I am accustomed to.

As for the technology applied to videogames - OH MAN, and I am not a gamer, but you felt like you were right there. Clearly this technology has a place for gamers. As far as I can say, 3D has never appealed to me to begin with and now this 48 fps technology is going to replace the standard 24 fps which many people may possibly side with my view. Who knows. too each their own.

I do recommend people see it in both or as many ways possible to see for themselves what style appeals to them.
D E F O R M A T O R Y
Cawdorgraves

Postby krista in ma » Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:20 pm

I haven't seen it yet, but I asked my friend what she thought of it - she loved it. That simple. Her sister, on the other hand (who went on a school sponsored trip to NZ last year and did LotR type tourist things), did not. Her main complaint was that there was not nearly as much live action scenes as there were in the LotR series ` too much cgi (I think that's the right term?).
~ Spc. Byron W. Fouty, MI ~ Staff Sgt. Alex R. Jimenez, MA ~
They have served our nation; together they are home.
~ Staff Sgt. Keith Matthew Maupin ~
An American Son Returns Home
krista in ma

Postby Cawdorgraves » Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:52 pm

having followed the pre-production and production shooting videos posted on youtube, one can see just how much CGI technology was integrated.

It is a big undertaking for sure to create such an amazing story into film. But having created the LOTR trilogy it seems that the Hobbit should have had more human actors portraying other characters.

The main villain (no clue of his name - white figure) was the main disappointing character that I think ought to have been a human driven character.

Anyway, I know that this epic saga will prove to be a worth while journey when we get to see all 3 parts. Then it will be quite an adventure to watch all 6 extended edition films back to back. haha!

New Zealand/Middle Earth is on my list of place to venture to certainly. Can't wait to visit in person.
D E F O R M A T O R Y
Cawdorgraves

Postby dlsevern » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:15 am

I recently saw the Hobbit, twice, that's how good it is. I am a long time Tolkien fan, having read the books before the movies were thought of, and though Jackson does take some liberty with things, not once did I feel that he was disrespecting the source material. Having grown up in a time when special effects were less than convincing, I have no problem whatsoever with CGI, trust me folks, CGI is way better than anything we ever had before. The Pale Orc looked fine as a CGI character, hipsters just like to complain about it because it's the hip thing to do I guess.
dlsevern

Postby raasnio » Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:09 am

dlsevern wrote:I recently saw the Hobbit, twice, that's how good it is. I am a long time Tolkien fan, having read the books before the movies were thought of, and though Jackson does take some liberty with things, not once did I feel that he was disrespecting the source material. Having grown up in a time when special effects were less than convincing, I have no problem whatsoever with CGI, trust me folks, CGI is way better than anything we ever had before. The Pale Orc looked fine as a CGI character, hipsters just like to complain about it because it's the hip thing to do I guess.

Yeah. I'm wishing that I could see it twice. I'll just have to wait for the Blu-ray release, I guess.
raasnio

Postby Cawdorgraves » Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:22 pm

Watching The HOBBIT in 2D, 24 fps currently and I must say that the resulting film is much more enjoyable to watch. The film plays out very similar fashion to LOTRs trilogy. Wish I had gone to see the film in this format first instead of seeing the 48 fps. Certainly, 48 fps is worthy to witness as this is how Jackson envisioned this project, but the technology is far to new and the quality is lacking personally. Maybe it is the quality between actor and green screen.

Needless to say the 2nd/3rd Hobbit films I will go see them in 24 fps first and then seek out the 48 fps (say this now - who knows that may change).

If time had allowed, I think the Hobbit would have been more powerful and had a greater impact on the audience/viewers had they been released pre-LOTRs. The story is slow and has a different feel than LOTR.

However, no one really can say that the makers, director, writers didn't do their best to ensure the final product was a valiant effort. Middle Earth's story is long and full of characters/story that surely would require 3-4hrs*6 films to explain. Ok maybe not but still love the time to be immersed in that environment.

Do you guys prefer 24 vs 48 fps of this epic story?

CG
D E F O R M A T O R Y
Cawdorgraves

Postby Mbwun » Sat Apr 20, 2013 3:17 am

I've only seen it on standard DVD through a 13 1/2 year old 36" CRT television, so I guess I'm not much help in this department.
How hard can it be? - Jeremy Clarkson
Make no mistake, this is a Supercar. Looks good .. goes fast .. nothing else matters. - Jeremy Clarkson

AMBITIOUS, BUT RUBBISH!
Mbwun

Return to Multi-Media