Batman

Sladists are media maniacs...I mean lovers. Movies, Books, Music & Sports are all here.

Batman

Postby Cawdorgraves » Sun May 22, 2005 7:02 am

Who was your pick of favorite people to play film batman?

1) Michael Keaton
2) Val Kilmer
3) George Clooney
4) new guy (American Psycho/Swing Kid's actor)
5) or do you prefer TV's originator

Not sure how the poll option is suppose to work, if this doesn't happen to work.

jC
------------------------------------------
D E F O R M A T O R Y
In The Wake Of Pestilence
https://deformatory.bigcartel.com
Cawdorgraves

Postby raasnio » Sun May 22, 2005 2:30 pm

The new guy is Christian Bale. He's the best pick thus far, imo.
raasnio
techno-guru / co-administrator

Postby PohlSE » Sun May 22, 2005 6:47 pm

Adam West.

Until I see Christian Bale that is...

I know people like Batman to be dark and serious, but I though the TV series was hysterical.

I liked the "Flint" movies too, for the same goofy reasons.
PohlSE
Webmaster

Postby raasnio » Sun May 22, 2005 9:41 pm

The villains in the first film of this new series are:

Ra's Al Ghul (criminal mastermind)

The Scarecrow

This film will be followed up by 2 films featuring The Joker. I'm sure we will have 2 villains per film, but no word on what other fiends will be in the follow-ups. Goyer (the writer) has already said that the Joker will not be killed off as in the Burton film. The principles, as I understand it, signed 3 film deals.
raasnio

Postby Cawdorgraves » Sun May 22, 2005 10:31 pm

I hope whoever portrays the joker is as convincing and menacing as Jack.

secondly, I sure hope their writing style is convincing. This story line is growing tiresome. such stories have already made a franchise. there are certainly other stories that deserve a chance and could freshen up todays movies, tales, etc. We seem to continue living in remakes upon remakes and frankly rehashing the past is growing old.

Just my opinion.

I am curious to see the sequel to Se7en and will see what the future has in store to reveal to us the viewers. I do know that Narnia with WETA creating the armor/weapons will be truly welcomed.

Another topic I know.

jC
D E F O R M A T O R Y
In The Wake Of Pestilence
https://deformatory.bigcartel.com
Cawdorgraves

Postby raasnio » Mon May 23, 2005 12:47 am

There are plenty of stories left in Batman. The previous series, in my opinion, was pretty much a failure. Some of the actors cast as the villains did a decent job, as was the part of Alfred, but I feel the Directors and Producers had very little grasp of what Batman is all about. I really believe that despite Tim Burton's abilities, he was the wrong man for the job. Casting George Clooney as Batman was the final nail in the coffin.

Watching the trailer for the new film, Batman Begins, you get the sense that this film will not be comic-bookish in any way. I believe that we will see Batman filmed respectfully, for a change.
raasnio

Postby Slade » Mon May 23, 2005 1:26 am

Raasnio,

I'm with you. I grew up on Batman. Unfortunately, he was censored by the Comics Code Authority, so the fantasy was tame compared to the verboten, no-holds-barred hijinx of the postwar Blackhawk and EC comics. But Batman's Batman.

Incidentally, it is with deep sorrow - man, it still hurts - that I must report the passing of my cat, Batman, on New Year's Day. He was named before the first Burton Batman movie was announced, so I AM a fan.

The Dark Knight Returns and Arkham Asylum were right up my alley.

That's how I want Batman to look and feel onscreen, but I won't hold my breath, because sure as shootin' they'll go for the kiddie crowd.

Does it have an R rating?

Or better yet, an X?

Slade
Slade

Postby raasnio » Mon May 23, 2005 1:47 am

PG-13

I will say, though, that if you've seen the director's other films, you can bet it will be handled fairly well. :wink:
raasnio

Postby raasnio » Wed May 25, 2005 3:41 am

A review from someone who has seen the new Batman Begins movie:

The less you know about the plot, the better. Seamlessly integrating flash-backs with present day, we get to experience Bruce's childhood tragedy with an emotional resonance unseen in prior pictures. Only now do we understand why Bruce felt that he killed his parents, and the spoiled rich-kid self-torture that he gets into, simply to punish himself, leads to his transformation into The Bat perfectly.

This is a very dark, adult picture. The abrasive nature of the editing, both film and sound, recalls last year's BOURNE SUPREMACY in places, and it goes along way toward amping up the thrills. The pic's various set-pieces should have viewers on the edge of their seats, and some of the Scarecrow's hallucinogenic visions will really creep you out.

Click here to read the whole review.

(I should add that this review doesn't have any major spoilers. I hate when reviewers tell you the whole movie sequence by sequence.)
raasnio

Postby Slade » Wed May 25, 2005 5:30 am

Raasnio,

Now I'm interested.

Slade
Slade

Re: Batman

Postby krista in ma » Wed May 25, 2005 7:45 pm

Cawdorgraves wrote:Who was your pick of favorite people to play film batman?

1) Michael Keaton
2) Val Kilmer
3) George Clooney
4) new guy (American Psycho/Swing Kid's actor)
5) or do you prefer TV's originator

i go for the overall campiness of the tv series.

i am looking forward to seeing what christian bale does with the part. if you haven t seen it - i would highly recommend "empire of the sun".

from www.imdb.com: Based on J. G. Ballard's autobiographical novel, tells the story of a boy, James Graham, whose privileged life is upturned by the Japanese invasion of Shanghai, December 8, 1941. Separated from his parents, he is eventually captured, and taken to Soo Chow confinement camp, next to a captured Chinese airfield. Amidst the sickness and food shortages in the camp, Jim attempts to reconstruct his former life, all the while bringing spirit and dignity to those around him.
~ Spc. Byron W. Fouty, MI ~ Staff Sgt. Alex R. Jimenez, MA ~
They have served our nation; together they are home.
~ Staff Sgt. Keith Matthew Maupin ~
An American Son Returns Home
krista in ma

Postby raasnio » Mon Jun 06, 2005 11:02 pm

A new Batman Begins review is up:

By Moriarty of Aintitcoolnews

Here's a tidbit:

There are some tricky tonal shifts that Nolan has to negotiate here, thanks to the fact that he gives screen time to all three of the faces of Bruce Wayne: traumatized son who is desperate for something to heal him, costumed vigilante looking for justice as revenge, and irresponsible playboy asshole in public. Bale seems to have particular fun with that third version of Wayne, and it’s nice that the film remembered to play with it. The film needs some humor from time to time because, as I said earlier, this film is scary, something I never would have expected from a Batman film. The first time he takes out a whole warehouse full of Falcone’s goons, it’s almost directed like a horror film with Batman as the monster, popping out of shadows and making people disappear. It makes it understandable later when The Scarecrow’s goons are afraid to fight Batman, afraid of the rumors they’ve heard. Even more unsettlings are the visions people have when under the influence of the Scarecrow’s gas. When Batman doses a corrupt cop and then interrogates him, we see Batman the way he does, as a screaming demon with ink black skin and a mouth full of fangs. When the whole city gets dosed later, we see Batman as a winged creature in the sky with glowing red eyes and mouth, a nightmare in flight, and people react in terror, exactly the way they should. It’s trippy, and it’s nothing you’d expect to see in a movie that’s got toys lining the shelves of Target.

Man, I can't wait!!!!!!
raasnio

Postby steelclaw32 » Tue Jun 07, 2005 3:54 am

:P :P :P :P :P :P :mrgreen: Sounds good to me. Let 'er rip!!!!!!!!!!!
steelclaw32
There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy. Hamlet: Act 1, Scene 5.
steelclaw32

Postby PohlSE » Tue Jun 07, 2005 4:25 am

That does sound pretty cool.
PohlSE
Webmaster

Postby Mafus » Fri Jun 10, 2005 1:58 am

I saw a free preview showing of BATMAN BEGINS a couple nights ago (it pays to be friends with the local comic shop owners) and rest assured, folks, you are going to love this one. Not only is Batman scary as hell, his villains are too. Ra's al Ghul is as fearsome as he is in the comics. This is the kind of villain you would expect to give Batman a run for his money. Forget the silly antics of Jim Carrey and Arnold Schwarzenegger. Al Ghul is a badass. The guy playing Scarecrow...Cillian something (the hero in 28 DAYS LATER) makes the most of a small role and impressed me with his portrayal of Dr. Crane. The guys eyes look dead, man. He was just chilling.

I can't wait to see this again.
"I know you gentleman have been through a lot but, when you find the time, I'd rather not spend the rest of this winter...TIED TO THIS @#%&ING COUCH!!!"
Mafus

Next

Return to Multi-Media