do we need more superheros?

Sladists are media maniacs...I mean lovers. Movies, Books, Music & Sports are all here.

Postby steelclaw32 » Fri Feb 01, 2008 3:08 am

Don't tell Doctor Strange THAT Wayward.! :shock: :lol:
steelclaw32
There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy. Hamlet: Act 1, Scene 5.
steelclaw32

Postby WaywardSoul » Fri Feb 01, 2008 4:19 am

steelclaw32 wrote:Don't tell Doctor Strange THAT Wayward.! :shock: :lol:

Doctor Strange?!

By the Hoary Hosts of Hoggoth, steelclaw!
"Remember, there's a big difference between kneeling down and bending over." - Frank Zappa
WaywardSoul

Postby steelclaw32 » Sat Feb 02, 2008 6:06 am

Speaking of Doc Strange, what the ecks he doing in the Avengers comic anyway, didn't he foresomething he'd never join any group again or sumit.? :roll:

Oh well, back to "His Dark Materials" for me then, I'm on book :2 of said of THIS great big tome....3 in 1 as in ALL three stories in this..

:

And a stonking good read it is to I might add. And it's THE proper British edition (version) too. :)
steelclaw32
There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy. Hamlet: Act 1, Scene 5.
steelclaw32

Postby Slade » Sun Dec 07, 2008 7:30 pm

Perhaps we do. I watched IRON MAN last night and thoroughly enjoyed it. The same feeling I had with SPIDER-MAN # 1.

When I was a kid, I was spoiled by falling heir to a treasure trove of verboten, anything-goes, pre-Comics Code Authority...

http://www.comicartville.com/comicscode.htm

...BLACKHAWK and EC Comics. That made it very hard for me to get into the watered-down gruel that followed. DICK TRACY and BATMAN thrived in my imagination because of the carry-over villains with backstory, but it was impossible for me to latch on to the next generation Marvel stuff of the 1960s.

It was too "clean."

Consequently, I come to something like IRON MAN with tabula rasa, and can't judge it any fan standard except, "Is it good?"

"Hey, this is good!"

Slade
Slade

Postby Mbwun » Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:39 pm

Looks like Marvel is going to lighten up on things, and make their superheroes heroic again:

http://www.usatoday.com/life/comics/201 ... 7_ST_N.htm
How hard can it be? - Jeremy Clarkson
Make no mistake, this is a Supercar. Looks good .. goes fast .. nothing else matters. - Jeremy Clarkson

AMBITIOUS, BUT RUBBISH!
Mbwun

Postby Wayne R. » Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:51 am

Kick-Ass.
Hunt down the red band trailer(s) and enjoy. This is where it's at for 'superheroes' this year, though I hope Iron Man 2 lives up to expectations.
"If the monkeys can't peel bananas, why teach them rocket science?" - Verbatim reply from a Deputy Director at my former employers' when asked about training.
Wayne R.

Postby i.am.sladist » Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:56 am

The world will always need superheroes ... for without them who would fight the super villain? And let us not forget those wonderful sidekicks!!!
No, I would not want to be a superhero. But if I were to be a super villain sidekick, I would aspire to be Harley Quinn because she is wicked bad in a demented sort of way. And she's got that big maul!

(Wayne, I've always leaned more towards Batman but I've got to say LOVE LOBO!!!!)
I am Evil.
I am Woman.
I am Sladist.
i.am.sladist

Postby Mbwun » Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:54 pm

Went to the Rogers Video rental place near me, and saw they had a real steal of a bargain on PV copies of 4 films - Watchmen Director's Cut, Fast & Furious, Knowing, and Push - all at $1.99 each. Picked up Watchmen, and Fast & Furious.

Watched the first hour of Watchmen last night. Does this thing pick up the pace at all? That first hour seemed rather tedious and slow. Not sure what to make of these superheroes in it either, as they seem not to be much better than the people they're going after.

All in all, so far, I'm really not sure what to make of this film.

Were the superheroes such anti-heroes in the books?
Make no mistake, this is a Supercar. Looks good .. goes fast .. nothing else matters. - Jeremy Clarkson

AMBITIOUS, BUT RUBBISH!
Mbwun

Postby Wayne R. » Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:27 pm

Mbwun wrote:Watched the first hour of Watchmen last night. Does this thing pick up the pace at all? That first hour seemed rather tedious and slow. Not sure what to make of these superheroes in it either, as they seem not to be much better than the people they're going after.

They were all flawed in some way. There's a site out there that analyses the whole book, right down to the page layout (a chapter called Fearful Symmetry has the pics laid out in a mirror-image of each other from the centre of the comic). The only way to get a lot out of the film is to know the book and maybe read the website's notes. Unfortunately, by doing that you realise what was changed. Especially at the end, where it's very different.
The pace is quite steady and maybe a bit pedestrian, it's true. There were a few good setpieces, but for me that intro just set the bar too high for the rest of the film. But it was the closest transferral to the screen I've seen since SinCity (haven't read 300), so it deserves a place on the shelf.
I just ordered the Ultimate Cut from the US, which apparently reinstates the Black Freighter sub-strip. Can't wait.
"If the monkeys can't peel bananas, why teach them rocket science?" - Verbatim reply from a Deputy Director at my former employers' when asked about training.
Wayne R.

Postby Wayne R. » Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:28 pm

i.am.sladist wrote:(Wayne, I've always leaned more towards Batman but I've got to say LOVE LOBO!!!!)

S'gotta be Bisley's Lobo, too. Guy's a legend.
Wayne R.

Postby PohlSE » Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:35 pm

Wayne R. wrote:
Mbwun wrote:Watched the first hour of Watchmen last night. Does this thing pick up the pace at all? That first hour seemed rather tedious and slow. Not sure what to make of these superheroes in it either, as they seem not to be much better than the people they're going after.

They were all flawed in some way. There's a site out there that analyses the whole book, right down to the page layout (a chapter called Fearful Symmetry has the pics laid out in a mirror-image of each other from the centre of the comic). The only way to get a lot out of the film is to know the book and maybe read the website's notes. Unfortunately, by doing that you realise what was changed. Especially at the end, where it's very different.
The pace is quite steady and maybe a bit pedestrian, it's true. There were a few good setpieces, but for me that intro just set the bar too high for the rest of the film. But it was the closest transferral to the screen I've seen since SinCity (haven't read 300), so it deserves a place on the shelf.
I just ordered the Ultimate Cut from the US, which apparently reinstates the Black Freighter sub-strip. Can't wait.

I love the comic and the movie! The change at the end makes sense when you consider that a)movie audiences may not have been predisposed to accept a giant squid, b) After 9/11 it is harder to believe that the destruction of New York would unite the world in peace, and c) The elimination of the artist/island back story saves some screen time in a film that could have been 5 hours long.

And speaking of the 5 hour Watchman - I have the Ultimate Cut and it is friggin awesome!
PohlSE
Webmaster

Postby raasnio » Sun Feb 07, 2010 4:40 am

PohlSE wrote:
Wayne R. wrote:

I love the comic and the movie! The change at the end makes sense when you consider that a)movie audiences may not have been predisposed to accept a giant squid, b) After 9/11 it is harder to believe that the destruction of New York would unite the world in peace, and c) The elimination of the artist/island back story saves some screen time in a film that could have been 5 hours long.

And speaking of the 5 hour Watchman - I have the Ultimate Cut and it is friggin awesome!

I read the graphic novel and then watched the Director's Cut on Blu-Ray. I thought that the changes to the story worked well. It's also Zach Snyder's best film, though that opinion is probably based on my disliking every film he made prior to this one. Watchmen is a little slow, but it's very much it's own story and is well done. I don't love it, but respect it.

I do recommend people check it out if they haven't yet and are into 'superhero' films.
The most merciful thing in the world... is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. - H. P. Lovecraft
raasnio
techno-guru / co-administrator

Postby dreab trawets » Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:08 pm

Talking of superheroes...
A copy of Detective Comics issue 27 featuring the first appearance of batman has sold for $1,075,500, at auction in Dallas.
This beats the $1 million paid for Action Comics number 1 on monday at comicconnect.com auction site.

Wow..
“After my head has been chopped off, will I still be able to hear, at least for a moment , the sound of my own blood gushing from my neck? That would be the best pleasure to end all pleasure. “
dreab trawets

Location: like someone had combined shrimp and tomato soup and then forgot to put the lid on the blender

Postby Mbwun » Thu Jul 01, 2010 7:34 pm

So what does everyone think of Wonder Woman's new look?

http://maddowblog.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2 ... an-clothes

I'm not quite sure what I think yet.

AMBITIOUS, BUT RUBBISH!
Mbwun

Postby i.am.sladist » Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:36 am

i don't like it.

=|
I am Evil.
I am Woman.
I am Sladist.
i.am.sladist

PreviousNext

Return to Multi-Media