do we need more superheros?

Sladists are media maniacs...I mean lovers. Movies, Books, Music & Sports are all here.

Postby Mbwun » Thu Oct 07, 2010 6:06 pm

Seems the NHL thinks we need more superheroes, since they've teamed up with Stan Lee to create some an NHL team of superheroes:

http://www.cbc.ca/arts/media/story/2010 ... n-lee.html

I wonder what the Vancouver Canuck superhero will be? Canucklehead???
How hard can it be? - Jeremy Clarkson
Make no mistake, this is a Supercar. Looks good .. goes fast .. nothing else matters. - Jeremy Clarkson

Image
AMBITIOUS, BUT RUBBISH!
User avatar
Mbwun
 
Posts: 2957
Joined: Sun Apr 03, 2005 1:41 am
Location: The left coast of Canada

Postby EZ Rhino » Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:42 pm

Excelsior!
I wish the media would report more on public service and charity news instead of gossip. It is of much greater value. - Jackie Chan
User avatar
EZ Rhino
 
Posts: 415
Joined: Wed May 11, 2005 9:55 pm
Location: Beggar's Canyon

Postby raasnio » Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:57 pm

Mbwun wrote:Seems the NHL thinks we need more superheroes, since they've teamed up with Stan Lee to create some an NHL team of superheroes:

http://www.cbc.ca/arts/media/story/2010 ... n-lee.html

I wonder what the Vancouver Canuck superhero will be? Canucklehead???


The Wings already have Al. I guess this means I will have to wait and see what Stan Lee comes up with.
The most merciful thing in the world... is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. - H. P. Lovecraft
User avatar
raasnio
techno-guru / co-administrator
 
Posts: 887
Joined: Sun Apr 03, 2005 2:24 am
Location: KC, MO

Re: do we need more Superheroes Movies?

Postby PohlSE » Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:08 pm

The Hero conversation's we've been having in the "what are u watching" thread seems better suited for this poor, dusty, old forgotten thread.

So JB, to continue the Superhero talk;

I think that the Green Lantern idea could be salvaged by a good sequel that keeps it simple. But history teaches that it will not be simple, and will not be good.

Since I'm resurrecting this thread here is a short list of "Superhero" movies listed as upcoming (my comments are in brackets):

2012

The Avengers – May 4
John Carter [of Mars] – March 9 (I include this because anyone who has read the original books knows that Carter is a Superhero)
Amazing Spider-Man – July 3 (Been there, done that)
Batman: The Dark Knight Rises – July 20
Dredd – Sept 21 (Please tell me that Stallone isn't involved in this one)

2013

The Wolverine – Jan 1 (Again? Come on!)
Iron Man 3 – May 3
Man of Steel – June 14 (I'm tried of all the Superman reboots. They better get this right)
Hancock 2 – 2013 (How did Hancock justify a sequel?)
The Flash – 2013 (I have high hopes for this)
Teen Titans – 2013
X-Men Origins: Magneto – 2013

Rumored

Billy Batson and the Legend of Shazam
Venom
Luke Cage
Justice League – Mortal (What's with the "mortal" add on? Do they all die at the end, or is it the Mortal Kombat version?)
Lobo (I do not believe that Lobo can be done properly on the big screen)
Flash Gordon
Gambit
Green Lantern 2
Hellboy 3 (As long as Del Toro is still involved this will be good)
Sin City 2
Ant-Man (2014) (HAHAHA! The Pym Particles get another chance to confound physics!)
Doctor Strange
Iron Fist (This is a stretch)
Nick Fury
Silver Surfer (wasn't this already done in the Fantastic 4 part 2? God help me)
Sub-Mariner (Are you kidding me?!)

Any thoughts? Did I miss any?
User avatar
PohlSE
Webmaster
 
Posts: 837
Joined: Sun Apr 03, 2005 5:15 pm
Location: Dallas, Tx.

Re: do we need more Superheroes Movies?

Postby jellybelly » Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:42 pm

PohlSE wrote:The Hero conversation's we've been having in the "what are u watching" thread seems better suited for this poor, dusty, old forgotten thread.

So JB, to continue the Superhero talk;

I think that the Green Lantern idea could be salvaged by a good sequel that keeps it simple. But history teaches that it will not be simple, and will not be good.

Since I'm resurrecting this thread here is a short list of "Superhero" movies listed as upcoming (my comments are in brackets):

2012

The Avengers – May 4
John Carter [of Mars] – March 9 (I include this because anyone who has read the original books knows that Carter is a Superhero)
Amazing Spider-Man – July 3 (Been there, done that)
Batman: The Dark Knight Rises – July 20
Dredd – Sept 21 (Please tell me that Stallone isn't involved in this one)

2013

The Wolverine – Jan 1 (Again? Come on!)
Iron Man 3 – May 3
Man of Steel – June 14 (I'm tried of all the Superman reboots. They better get this right)
Hancock 2 – 2013 (How did Hancock justify a sequel?)
The Flash – 2013 (I have high hopes for this)
Teen Titans – 2013
X-Men Origins: Magneto – 2013

Rumored

Billy Batson and the Legend of Shazam
Venom
Luke Cage
Justice League – Mortal (What's with the "mortal" add on? Do they all die at the end, or is it the Mortal Kombat version?)
Lobo (I do not believe that Lobo can be done properly on the big screen)
Flash Gordon
Gambit
Green Lantern 2
Hellboy 3 (As long as Del Toro is still involved this will be good)
Sin City 2
Ant-Man (2014) (HAHAHA! The Pym Particles get another chance to confound physics!)
Doctor Strange
Iron Fist (This is a stretch)
Nick Fury
Silver Surfer (wasn't this already done in the Fantastic 4 part 2? God help me)
Sub-Mariner (Are you kidding me?!)

Any thoughts? Did I miss any?


Ha,ha, you know, i really need to read through ALL of this board...a new thing pops up each day i check :lol:

I didn't realise there where so many in the works !! Hmmm...this could take a while -

Avengers i AM looking forward to even though my 'rational' adult self still thinks it won't be as good as we want it to be. Most of the others seem pointless, like some of your comments convey. I may have this wrong but we where promised Galactus in FF 2 but instead we got a dust cloud or something ?

I see a couple of those mentioned will be like Marvel have done, setting everyone up for the Justice league film. Wolverine ? Is it a sequel or another reboot ? Whatever it is i needs to be rated 18 / R, bub's a violent guy, show it ha,ha. Man of steel, well Christopher Reeve will always be Superman to me, i admit we do need a 'good' new film as that other wasn't well, good, i still want Supes vs Doomsday eventually though. Iron man 3...i'll admit, the first wasn't great but when i saw trailers and things leading up towards Iron man 2 i thought this'll be great, arse kicking action, an AC/DC soundtrack, well, the final result wasn't great :oops:

Phew !! Also a couple of interesting things i learned recently -

When Singer was originally attached to X-Men he wanted an R rated movie, which got the fans excited but the studio said no. I can see the point because it'll make more money if rated lower that adult, but hey it's the age of DVD, film the gritty stuff, remove it from cinema prints then stick it back on DVD for home use, easy no ?

Also regarding Green Lantern, what they wanted to do was sort of tie in the other future DC characters (sort of). When the ring is finding a new, erm, master, it was supposed to go to Clark Kent at first...but they scrapped the idea :shock:
User avatar
jellybelly
 
Posts: 230
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:39 pm

Re: do we need more superheros?

Postby Mbwun » Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:50 am

PohlSE,

As far as I know, X-MEN ORIGINS: MAGNETO is a no go, and has been for quite some time. Apparently, a great deal of the storyline for it was absorbed into X-MEN FIRST CLASS:

http://www.imdb.com/news/ni3993553/
How hard can it be? - Jeremy Clarkson
Make no mistake, this is a Supercar. Looks good .. goes fast .. nothing else matters. - Jeremy Clarkson

Image
AMBITIOUS, BUT RUBBISH!
User avatar
Mbwun
 
Posts: 2957
Joined: Sun Apr 03, 2005 1:41 am
Location: The left coast of Canada

Re: do we need more superheros?

Postby PohlSE » Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:57 am

Mbwun,

They'll get rid of X-MEN ORIGINS: MAGNETO and yet, somehow, keep ANT-MAN... You have to question their decision making process. :D


JB,

Same story with Lobo on the violence angle. As a psychopathic, intergalactic assassin who killed off his entire race, can't die, bleeds new versions of himself, is sometimes depicted as stronger than superman, and once killed Santa Claus (and then carpet bombed everyone on his naughty list), I fail to see how they can even plan to make the film anything other than a hard R.
User avatar
PohlSE
Webmaster
 
Posts: 837
Joined: Sun Apr 03, 2005 5:15 pm
Location: Dallas, Tx.

Re: do we need more superheros?

Postby jellybelly » Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:08 pm

PohlSE wrote:Mbwun,

They'll get rid of X-MEN ORIGINS: MAGNETO and yet, somehow, keep ANT-MAN... You have to question their decision making process. :D


JB,

Same story with Lobo on the violence angle. As a psychopathic, intergalactic assassin who killed off his entire race, can't die, bleeds new versions of himself, is sometimes depicted as stronger than superman, and once killed Santa Claus (and then carpet bombed everyone on his naughty list), I fail to see how they can even plan to make the film anything other than a hard R.


Ha,ha very true but America seems to love the PG / 13 moniker, which translates to a 15 rating here in the UK, or is it 12 / 12A now, urgh...

Not comic related but it's like with The Expendables, it was a good old balls out fight fest with most of our 80's / 90's heroes, i really enjoyed it for what it was and for what everyone's initial trepidations where. Then came news of The Expendables 2 with Chuck Norris and Van Damme no less...and they slap a PG / 13 rating on it, supposedly because Norris didn't want any strong language in it. I agree, too much swearing is annoying but that rating means the violence and action suffers now too. It's all about the money i guess.
User avatar
jellybelly
 
Posts: 230
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:39 pm

Re: do we need more superheros?

Postby EZ Rhino » Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:28 pm

I had no idea about the story behind John Carter, except that I remember a little bit of a comic when I was a kid, "John Carter: Warlord of Mars". I wasn't filled with a sense of curiosity or urgency or a need to see this movie when I saw the first few previews on tv. Here's why:

http://www.vulture.com/2012/03/john-carter-doomed-by-first-trailer.html

So Star Wars and Star Trek and James Cameron and others owe a lot to this series. They couldn't mention that in the previews? Or that he was a civil war soldier somehow transported to Mars? For what reason? By who? Is he still there? The director obviously knew the source material and put a lot of thought into this. But just because someone has a reverence for the original material doesn't mean they'll produce a good movie. $250 million down the drain. Couldn't happen to a nicer studio.
I wish the media would report more on public service and charity news instead of gossip. It is of much greater value. - Jackie Chan
User avatar
EZ Rhino
 
Posts: 415
Joined: Wed May 11, 2005 9:55 pm
Location: Beggar's Canyon

Re: do we need more superheros?

Postby Mbwun » Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:46 pm

How hard can it be? - Jeremy Clarkson
Make no mistake, this is a Supercar. Looks good .. goes fast .. nothing else matters. - Jeremy Clarkson

Image
AMBITIOUS, BUT RUBBISH!
User avatar
Mbwun
 
Posts: 2957
Joined: Sun Apr 03, 2005 1:41 am
Location: The left coast of Canada

Re: do we need more superheros?

Postby jellybelly » Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:55 pm

Mbwun wrote:I'll just leave this here:

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/upshot/snac ... 00026.html


Well we need more like minded people like this, unfortunately in some situations the people involved would turn on you or another 5 lads would appear and stomps would ensue :cry: Too many people look the other way nowadays...

Also it showed an advert for the Avengers on UK tv last night, even my wife wants to see it ha,ha, can't wait !!
User avatar
jellybelly
 
Posts: 230
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:39 pm

Re: do we need more superheros?

Postby Mbwun » Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:08 pm

So, there's a new trailer up for MAN OF STEEL.

Here's the teaser:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ll39CAovGrg

And here's the new trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVu3gS7iJu4

Anyone looking forward to this?

Saw Henry Cavill in IMMORTALS on DVD over the weekend. He's not bad.
How hard can it be? - Jeremy Clarkson
Make no mistake, this is a Supercar. Looks good .. goes fast .. nothing else matters. - Jeremy Clarkson

Image
AMBITIOUS, BUT RUBBISH!
User avatar
Mbwun
 
Posts: 2957
Joined: Sun Apr 03, 2005 1:41 am
Location: The left coast of Canada

Re: do we need more superheros?

Postby PohlSE » Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:20 am

I still maintain that "reboots" and "remakes" are the laziest forms of story telling.


I am a Superman fan (Hell, I love the entire DC Universe) and I have zero interest in seeing the exact same story again.

When it comes to Blu-Ray I'll take a look but I won't buy tickets to it.


The last time we got a Superman movie without rehashing the same tired origin story was Superman 2 in 1980.

We don't need Superman's origin, we need a good story using different characters from the DC Universe; Mister Mxyzptlk, Brainiac, Toy Man, Doomsday, Darksied, Bruno Mannheim, Morgan Edge, Metallo, Bizarro, Parasite....

But no we get another origin story AND another General Zod story. Maybe we can have yet another appearance by Lex Luthor, too. :roll:

Even a movie continuing the Smallville TV series would be preferable.
User avatar
PohlSE
Webmaster
 
Posts: 837
Joined: Sun Apr 03, 2005 5:15 pm
Location: Dallas, Tx.

Re: do we need more superheros?

Postby SickThing » Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:25 pm

I agree, Steve.

I think Man of Steel looks awful. But then, I hated Nolan's Batman movies, and I haven't like Snyder's work, either.

Hunter
User avatar
SickThing
 
Posts: 250
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2005 12:41 pm
Location: Bowling Green, KY

Re: do we need more superheros?

Postby Mbwun » Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:50 pm

I'm not really all that big on superhero films, so I'll probably wait until I can get my hands on a really cheap DVD of it to watch it. I didn't see either of Nolan's BATMAN movies until used copies of them started showing up for $3.99 at the rental place here. And WATCHMEN I bought for $1.99.

I do like the XMEN movies, but even at that I've waited until I could get really cheap used copies to see the more recent ones. And the only reason I saw XMEN FIRST CLASS on DVD when it first came out is because my sister and brother-in-law rented it and brought it over here to watch.

Heck, the copy of IMMORTALS I watched was purchased for a song at my friend's toy store. Didn't see CLASH OF THE TITANS, or WRATH OF THE TITANS until Best Buy had them at $3.99, and $4.99 respectively a couple of weeks back.
How hard can it be? - Jeremy Clarkson
Make no mistake, this is a Supercar. Looks good .. goes fast .. nothing else matters. - Jeremy Clarkson

Image
AMBITIOUS, BUT RUBBISH!
User avatar
Mbwun
 
Posts: 2957
Joined: Sun Apr 03, 2005 1:41 am
Location: The left coast of Canada

PreviousNext

Return to Multi-Media

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests

cron