So what are reading these days?

Sladists are media maniacs...I mean lovers. Movies, Books, Music & Sports are all here.

Re: So what are reading these days?

Postby Judy » Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:27 am

Unfortunately . . . this site is down . . . probably secondary to SANDY I'm sure . . I'll have to try again later.. :thnx: :thnx:
An archaeologist is the best husband any woman can have: the older she gets, the more interested he is in her.
Agatha Christie
Judy

Postby Luna » Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:57 am

Vincent Bugliosi - Reclaiming History: The Assassination of President JFK (my current obsession, became re-interested after reading Stephen King's novel 11/22/63)
Luna

Postby EZ Rhino » Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:20 am

I picked up 'Crime and Punishment' by Dosto-russianguy at a thrift shop the other day. I'm 60+ pages in and it's pretty good. I've always wanted to try some of the classics. I was assigned 'Great Expectations' and 'Wuthering Heights' in my undergrad days but I never finished them.

It is remarkable how low your self esteem is when you have no money. This I know to be truth.
I wish the media would report more on public service and charity news instead of gossip. It is of much greater value. - Jackie Chan
EZ Rhino

Postby Slade » Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:46 pm

EZ,

That's one of the novels you MUST read in your life. It's not a breeze, but it affects your thinking forever. How Raskolnikov reacts to the murder echoes through umpteen real life cases you read in the news.

HOWEVER...

C&P is all about the translation. What edition are you reading? Publisher and translator?

Slade
Slade

Postby raasnio » Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:35 pm

Because I was traveling, I finally was able to finish Robert McCammon's Mister Slaughter. Pretty good read, though his previous two Corbett novels were stronger, I believe. I'll definitely pick up his next one in the series.
The most merciful thing in the world... is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. - H. P. Lovecraft
raasnio
techno-guru / co-administrator

Postby PohlSE » Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:46 pm

Finished reading: John Dies at the End

10 pages to go: The Book is Full of Spiders! Serious, Dude, Don't Touch it!

The two funniest horror novels ever written.

Try to imagine an H.P. Lovecraft story written by Douglas Adams. That should come close to the insanity of it all.

I can't wait for the movie...

(edited to add: Make that an H.P. Lovecraft story written by Douglas Adams but then dialogued by Kevin Smith)
PohlSE
Webmaster

Postby EZ Rhino » Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:50 pm

Slade, I've got a 1994 edition published by Wordsworth Classics. There's no translator listed. They have a couple of notes on some russian words (I already knew what a balalaika is though) but it's not too difficult.
I wish the media would report more on public service and charity news instead of gossip. It is of much greater value. - Jackie Chan
EZ Rhino

Postby Slade » Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:44 pm

EZ,

Here are the major English translations of C&P:

Frederick Whishaw (1885)
Constance Garnett (1914)
David Magarshack (1951)
Princess Alexandra Kropotkin (1953)
Jessie Coulson (1953)
Michael Scammell (1963)
Sidney Monas (1968)
David McDuff (1991)
Richard Pevear and Larissa Volokhonsky (1992)
Julius Katzer

The Garnett translation was the dominant translation for more than 80 years after its publication in 1914. Since the 1990s, McDuff and Pevear/Volokhonsky have become its major competitors.

I read the Penguin edition by David Magarshack. Superb. But it was replaced by the Penguin edition by David McDuff. Which, it seems, is better!

I know you've already spent money on the book, but because it's a major - and perhaps THE major - read of a person's lifetime, see if you can find one of the dominant translations. C&P is in every library.

Slade
Slade

Postby Judy » Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:51 am

Well, I'm involved in two book discussions on GOODREADS already with a third to start next Monday . . . CAESAR by Colleen McCollough, THE PASSAGE OF POWER by Robert A. Caro, and will be starting THOMAS JEFFERSON by Jon Meacham on Monday. Plus about 300+ others in my ToBeRead stack waiting for future reading.

And of course waiting for our favorite author here to finish getting the rest of the other backlog books converted to eBooks and waiting (not patiently) for the newest addition as well!!

:ire:
An archaeologist is the best husband any woman can have: the older she gets, the more interested he is in her.
Agatha Christie
Judy

Postby PohlSE » Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:04 pm

Cold Days by Jim Butcher

So far it's another great entry into the Dresden Files...
PohlSE
Webmaster

Postby dlsevern » Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:21 am

I started reading Robert McCammon's They Thirst, it has started off excellent and I'm hoping that it continues to be this good.
dlsevern

Postby Judy » Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:28 am

dlsevern wrote:I started reading Robert McCammon's They Thirst, it has started off excellent and I'm hoping that it continues to be this good.

I read all of his earlier stuff years ago . . . and thought all of it was good. I think since he is actively writing again more of his earlier books are being brought back . . . I think I've seen many offered as eBooks as well. Hope you like it. :D
Agatha Christie
Judy

Postby EZ Rhino » Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:02 pm

I got ahold of the Constance Garnett translation and am now about 130 pages in. There's just a different feel to the whole thing. Can't put my finger on one exact thing but...still enjoyable nonetheless.
EZ Rhino

Postby Slade » Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:49 pm

EZ,

You can't read C&P too many times, in too many versions.

For the rest of your life, you'll see it echo in murder case after murder case in today's news.

Slade
Slade

Postby SickThing » Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:27 pm

Judy wrote:
dlsevern wrote:I started reading Robert McCammon's They Thirst, it has started off excellent and I'm hoping that it continues to be this good.

I read all of his earlier stuff years ago . . . and thought all of it was good. I think since he is actively writing again more of his earlier books are being brought back . . . I think I've seen many offered as eBooks as well. Hope you like it. :D

You should read his newer stuff, too! It's great!

BTW, at Halloween, a new, free short story by McCammon was posted on his site:

A Halloween Treat: Strange Candy

Hunter
SickThing

PreviousNext

Return to Multi-Media