So what are reading these days?

Sladists are media maniacs...I mean lovers. Movies, Books, Music & Sports are all here.

Re: So what are reading these days?

Postby dlsevern » Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:44 pm

Had to put They Thirst down for a time so that I could read my newly acquired Dark Tower novel The Wind Through the Keyhole by Stephen King. I was enjoying They Thirst but this is a must for me, lol.
dlsevern

Postby EZ Rhino » Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:19 pm

Finally finished Crime and Punishment. Such a great novel. For some reason, it was hard for me to keep everyone straight. I suspect it may have been the use of patronymics (patronimics?) in everyone's names. Raskonikoff's journey after his crime was fascinating: shock, guilt, etc. Good stuff. I like the ending, with the final scene between him and Sonia to be very satisfying.
I wish the media would report more on public service and charity news instead of gossip. It is of much greater value. - Jackie Chan
EZ Rhino

Postby Slade » Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:20 pm

EZ,

CRIME AND PUNISHMENT is one of those books that stays with you for life. The insights will make you nod again and again.

For instance, the compulsion to return to the scene of the crime. Remember Colonel Russell Williams?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russell_Williams

Jessica Lloyd, 27, vanished on January 28, 2010. Investigators identified distinctive tire tracks left in snow near her home. One week after her disappearance, the Ontario Provincial Police conducted an extensive canvassing of all motorists using the highway near her home from 7 pm on February 4, 2010, to 6 am on the following day, looking for the unusual tire treads. Williams was driving his Pathfinder that day — rather than the BMW he usually drove — and an officer noticed the resemblance of his tire treads. These were subsequently matched to the treads near Lloyd's home.

He should have read CRIME AND PUNISHMENT, to avoid that trap.

Slade
Slade

Postby dlsevern » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:09 am

Got through The Wind Through the Keyhole very quickly, it is a very welcomed addition to the Dark Tower series as well as a necessary one IMO. It's a story within a story within a story and is done so with such ease that it is not distracting in the least bit, a fun little read.

I finally finished They Thirst and can't praise it enough, it must rank up there with classic vampire novels such as Stephen King's Salem's Lot, Richard Matheson's I Am Legend and Stoker's own Dracula. They Thirst poses the question of how would a place such as Los Angeles do when confronted with one of mankind's oldest evils. McCammon's vampire tale is a massive one which takes on a very epic scope from the beginning of the story all the way to its apocalyptic ending. Like a dam just barely keeping the overflow from breaching the top, They Thirst doesn't let the reader go once it's gotten its hook into them.

I am now started on Karl Edward Wagner's Bloodstone, the second novel of his anti-hero Kane. I am having a blast so far and only wish I would have found the first Kane novel Darkness Weaves before reading Bloodstone to get a little back story on Kane, it isn't necessary though as Bloodstone stands on its own. I would also say that Wagner was definitely influenced by Lovecraft.
dlsevern

Postby EZ Rhino » Sun Jul 07, 2013 3:42 pm

I wish the media would report more on public service and charity news instead of gossip. It is of much greater value. - Jackie Chan
EZ Rhino

Postby Mbwun » Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:39 pm

Picked up what looks to be a great summer read yesterday at the book stand in a local grocery store. BELOW, by Ryan Lockwood - it's his first novel. Said to be in the bestselling tradition of JAWS.

http://www.amazon.com/Below-Ryan-Lockwo ... gw_p_img_3
How hard can it be? - Jeremy Clarkson
Make no mistake, this is a Supercar. Looks good .. goes fast .. nothing else matters. - Jeremy Clarkson

AMBITIOUS, BUT RUBBISH!
Mbwun

Postby raasnio » Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:37 am

The Thicket - Joe R. Lansdale
The most merciful thing in the world... is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. - H. P. Lovecraft
raasnio
techno-guru / co-administrator

Postby raasnio » Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:00 am

Trophy Kill - Dan Zupansky
The most merciful thing in the world... is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. - H. P. Lovecraft
raasnio

Postby raasnio » Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:09 pm

Almost done with Trophy Kill.

Next up will be Foreign Faction by A. James Kolar.

On a non-fiction kick lately. Research for my podcast. 8-)
raasnio

Postby dreab trawets » Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:20 pm

Comics..

First Superman comic sells for $3.2m http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-28936096
“After my head has been chopped off, will I still be able to hear, at least for a moment , the sound of my own blood gushing from my neck? That would be the best pleasure to end all pleasure. “
dreab trawets

Location: like someone had combined shrimp and tomato soup and then forgot to put the lid on the blender

Postby Mbwun » Thu Oct 16, 2014 3:26 pm

Currently reading THE MULLIGAN AFFAIR: TOP COP ON THE TAKE, by Ian McDonald, and Betty O'Keefe. The same writing duo wrote DISASTER ON MOUNT SLESSE: THE STORY OF WESTERN CANADA'S WORST AIR CRASH, about the plane crash that claimed the life of Slade's father, and THE FINAL VOYAGE OF THE PRINCESS SOPHIA: DID THEY ALL HAVE TO DIE?, about the shipwreck that claimed the life of my Great Grandfather.

It's quite an interesting read. I think it would make a great tv special!

http://www.amazon.ca/The-Mulligan-Affai ... 1895811457
Make no mistake, this is a Supercar. Looks good .. goes fast .. nothing else matters. - Jeremy Clarkson

AMBITIOUS, BUT RUBBISH!
Mbwun

Postby Mbwun » Tue Nov 11, 2014 7:41 pm

Just finished a reread of DISASTER ON MOUNT SLESSE.

AMBITIOUS, BUT RUBBISH!
Mbwun

Postby museumwriter » Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:37 pm

Just finished reading Disaster on Mt. Slesse. The Canadian Museum of Flight in Langley, B.C. also has a small exhibit devoted to the tragedy.

I am interested in the genesis of writers. Why do they write what they write? Am pondering Mr. Clarke's/Slade's career choices as a lawyer and novelist. Initially, Captain Clarke was cleared of any wrong doing in deciding to return to YVR after an engine failure. That judgment was later challenged. Perhaps this spurred Messr. Clarke into his career choice as a criminal defense lawyer?

Nothing is more horrific/ghoulish than the aftermath of an air disaster. A psychologist might say that Mr. Slade is sublimating this vis-a-vis his macabre story lines.

Perhaps I am getting a bit too clinical, but am happy that Mr. Slade was able to emerge from this trauma and has contributed much to the legal/literary world.

His mother Vivianne must have been a wonderful woman too. She was obviously very devoted to her children and husband. It was not just "The end of a great love story," but the beginning of many more.
museumwriter

Postby Brooster » Sat Dec 05, 2015 10:43 pm

Man Eaters of Kumaon , by Jim Corbett. Last book was Man Without a Country by Kurt Vonnegut.
Funny thing , in KV's book was a beautifully pressed Marijuanna leaf.
Its ok to say "I dont know "
once in a while
Brooster

Postby EZ Rhino » Sun Dec 20, 2015 6:37 am

I've been working on For Whom The Bell Tolls for close to three months now. Still got about 150 pages to go. Hope I can finish it before the new year because my pile of unread books is starting to gather dust. Where is everybody? :shock:
EZ Rhino

PreviousNext

Return to Multi-Media