[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
• View topic - So what are reading these days?

So what are reading these days?

Sladists are media maniacs...I mean lovers. Movies, Books, Music & Sports are all here.

Postby PohlSE » Mon Oct 31, 2005 10:53 pm

I am currently in the middle of Harry Turtledove's fantastic book "Drive to the East," the latest in the "Great War" saga that started about 10 books ago with "How Few Remain."

However, I was informed by Amazon that Swastika is on it's way so Harry is getting put on hold.

PohlSE
Webmaster

Postby moonflee » Wed Nov 02, 2005 2:00 am

I also will start Swastika tonight.
Nothing’s so loud
As hearing when we lie
The truth is not kind
And you’ve said neither am I
- toad the wet sprocket
moonflee

Postby vlad » Fri Nov 04, 2005 3:29 am

Finished Dance Of Death (I'm a sucker for SA Pendergast) and I'm just getting around to Anansi Boys. I'm hoping some kindhearted spouse will buy me Swastike for my upcoming birthday!
vlad

Postby BartX » Sun Nov 06, 2005 4:18 pm

BartX

Postby saxonhyde83 » Tue Nov 08, 2005 4:14 am

saxonhyde83

authors

Postby kit » Wed Nov 09, 2005 7:27 pm

kit

Postby vlad » Thu Nov 10, 2005 6:41 am

I'd be interested to hear what you thought of Scream Queen once you read it. I'll reserve futher comment until then. ;)
vlad

Postby BartX » Thu Nov 10, 2005 10:30 am

kit - I have read many Masterton books but, unfortunately, Doorkeepers is not one of them. I know many people liked it, though.

My two latest meetings with Masterton's fiction were Unspeakable (not recommended) and Festival Of Fear (recommended).
BartX

Postby kit » Thu Nov 10, 2005 4:24 pm

I do not ususally read "horror" --but once in while I wil pick stuff up to see if I've changed my mind.
Vlad -- honest opinion -- straight up about SCREAM QUEEN -- it was so damn bad -- it was good. It was a great premise, Ike was such a true asshole right to the end -- I guess I thought it was pretty decent because I wound up throwing the book against the wall cuz I didn't like the ending -- right after that I picked it up and gave it to my daughter and said -- you gotta read this! Does any of this make sense?
kit

Postby vlad » Sat Nov 12, 2005 6:47 am

Yes, I can identify with most of your reaction to Scream Queen. I didn't like it quite as much as you however. ;)
I absolutely hated the ending, I remember thinking: well, there's a few hours of my life I'll never get back. I never get that feeling after reading a Slade novel, ahem. (Please forgive my shameless brown-nosing!)
vlad

Postby BartX » Mon Nov 14, 2005 7:29 pm

Reading right now: Ed McBain's "Hark!", once recommended by Slade. It's great, of course (the dialogues!), and I already ordered some more McBain from amazon.
BartX

Postby TwiztdFidgt » Thu Nov 17, 2005 2:04 am

I just finished "Angels & Demons" and about 5 short stories umm..."The Possibility of Evil" "The Destructors" "A Rose For Emily" "Defender of the Faith" and "I'm A Fool" out of all of them my favorites were "A Rose for Emily" (William Faulkner) and "The Possibility of Evil" (Shirley Jackson) mostly because they were morbid :D (coincidently they were both about some evil old woman) I highly recommend them both.

You can read "A Rose For Emily" free online, here's the link

Anyways, I'm now reading "Sahara," "The Tale Of The Body Thief" "the Syndrome" and a really old book that I can't make out the title fully but I think its called "The Soldier" or "Old Soldier" that I haven't really gotten into because the writing is so hard to read...a few others too but I can't remember them all :P
Lawyer: "Any suggestions as to what prevented this from being a murder trial instead of an attempted murder trial?"
Witness: "The victim lived."
TwiztdFidgt

Postby steelclaw32 » Mon Nov 21, 2005 11:04 pm

Just rounding off on a most hysterical, and very funny read that my sister-in law brought in to me, Lynne Truss's :Eats, Shoots & Leaves .

Great for laugh, but it makes a very valid point !!! . Wasted on me though :oops: :oops: :D :D :D :D !
steelclaw32
There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy. Hamlet: Act 1, Scene 5.
steelclaw32

Postby slyragz » Tue Nov 22, 2005 5:34 pm

Verbal Judo (Thompson & Stroud). Found this in one of my boxes of old, old books (1984 edition). Loved the seminar back then, and wonder how it might have changed throughout the years.
slyragz

Postby GestaltAmigdula » Sun Dec 04, 2005 8:14 pm

There is distortion even in the play and dreams of children. -Robert Engler
GestaltAmigdula

PreviousNext

Return to Multi-Media