Classic TV shows, and a laugh or three!

Sladists are media maniacs...I mean lovers. Movies, Books, Music & Sports are all here.

Postby MarylandManson » Thu Jan 19, 2006 12:45 am

Mafus, give yourself a HUGE round of applause!

Must...have...Trickster...

(and Joyce Hyser, too!)

MM
MarylandManson
co-administrator

Postby Mafus » Fri Jan 20, 2006 11:44 pm

MM,

I have to admit I had to look her up. Remembered her the second I saw the face, though. She was a cutie. I was always partial to the girl that played Barry Allen's girlfriend Iris (who he married in the comics):

http://imdb.com/name/nm0005191/
"I know you gentleman have been through a lot but, when you find the time, I'd rather not spend the rest of this winter...TIED TO THIS @#%&ING COUCH!!!"
Mafus

Postby GestaltAmigdula » Thu Jan 26, 2006 6:20 pm

A walk along memory road is fun sometimes, especially while incorporating entertainment. :P

Just gonna list some of my all-time favorite television shows:

The Electric Company
Little House on the Prairie
Buck Rogers in the 25th Century
Duckman: Private Dick/Family Man
Absolutely Fabulous
League of Gentlemen
Alan Partridge: Knowing You, Knowing Me (Ahaaaa!)
The Young Ones

I tend to deviate between American and British television. British humor is some of the best - I say the darker the better.
There is distortion even in the play and dreams of children. -Robert Engler
GestaltAmigdula

Postby Jake » Fri Jan 27, 2006 12:24 am

Why isn't Duckman on DVD yet? That was one of the funniest shows I have ever seen.
Jake

Postby Mafus » Fri Jan 27, 2006 12:58 am

Jake,

I'm sure it's only a matter of time. I was so impatient for MILLENNIUM to come out, I wasted 100 bucks on an inferior Hong Kong set only to have FOX announce the official release about a month later. Trust me. Everything you can possibly imagine will eventually be released on DVD (or possibly Blu-ray, I suppose.)

I don't always get British humor (humour? :)) but when we have family get-togethers, my father and brother laugh at BBC shows so loudly that I fear for their sanity. The cat doesn't come out from under the bed for days.
"I know you gentleman have been through a lot but, when you find the time, I'd rather not spend the rest of this winter...TIED TO THIS @#%&ING COUCH!!!"
Mafus

Postby Wayne R. » Fri Jan 27, 2006 10:57 pm

My contribution:

Old - Monkey ("Ah, my cloud!" "Atatatatatata, Tripitaka!")
New - Spaced ("Jar Jar Binks made the Ewoks look like... F-ckin' SHAFT!")

Jake: I can't believe you mentioned V, I'd not thought about it for years. There used to be a Thursday & a Friday disco for the (roughly) 18-25 crowd at the local Social Centre. Thursdays were always a bit flat and Friday was the better night. Then V aired, and people left early Friday night to watch it and reversed everything for its entire run. I've tried for years to get the end title music.
"If the monkeys can't peel bananas, why teach them rocket science?" - Verbatim reply from a Deputy Director at my former employers' when asked about training.
Wayne R.

Postby Mbwun » Fri Jan 27, 2006 11:28 pm

Here's a couple wav files of music from V for you Wayne R:

http://www.soundamerica.com/sounds/them ... Z/v-tv.wav

http://www.soundamerica.com/sounds/them ... finalb.wav

Is the second one the tune that you've been looking for?
How hard can it be? - Jeremy Clarkson
Make no mistake, this is a Supercar. Looks good .. goes fast .. nothing else matters. - Jeremy Clarkson

AMBITIOUS, BUT RUBBISH!
Mbwun

Postby Wayne R. » Sat Jan 28, 2006 10:40 pm

Wow, it's the second one.
Just a bit 'John Carpenter', do you think? These days, maybe he should just do the music... Anyway, thanks a lot for that, I don't even want to sit and work out how long it is since I heard that tune. Even buying the cassettes of the spoken-word version didn't work out, so congrats on tracking it down.
I'm sure V's been on Sky at some point in the last few years, but it'd dated so badly I couldn't bear to watch it all the way through to the end. Plus, it was a more recent series with some hybrid kid with psychic powers in it, or something.
Lousy.
"If the monkeys can't peel bananas, why teach them rocket science?" - Verbatim reply from a Deputy Director at my former employers' when asked about training.
Wayne R.

Postby Slade » Thu Mar 08, 2007 6:19 pm

Slade

Postby Mbwun » Thu Mar 08, 2007 7:16 pm

That's really sad. He was brilliant in "Are You Being Served". The whole show was brilliant - actually.

He wasn't all that old, either.
How hard can it be? - Jeremy Clarkson
Make no mistake, this is a Supercar. Looks good .. goes fast .. nothing else matters. - Jeremy Clarkson

AMBITIOUS, BUT RUBBISH!
Mbwun

Postby Slade » Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:14 pm

Slade

Postby MarylandManson » Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:30 pm

I once had an interesting conversation with an elderly woman behind the scenes at the local PBS station. She was gushing about the inspired programming offerd until I brought up ARE YOU BEING SERVED? and its afternoon timeslot. Her demeanor turned suddenly icy as she replied: "If it were up to me, that show would stay on Saturday nights at 11pm where it belongs. Hummphhh!"

Hee hee... MM
MarylandManson
co-administrator

Postby Cawdorgraves » Sat Mar 10, 2007 5:34 pm

Duckman - I was out at a bar in Toronto. My friend goes to me - hey do you know the film Duckman? I of course say yes! She goes - well that guy played Duckman. And at the same table was the guy from Canadian tire commercials that played Scrooge! Gone are those days of such good commercials. As well I miss my Canadian Tire and Sears x-moose magazine. Not to mention the Coke x-mas commercials.

CG
------------------------------------------
D E F O R M A T O R Y
In The Wake Of Pestilence
https://deformatory.bigcartel.com
Cawdorgraves

Postby Slade » Sun Mar 11, 2007 6:22 pm

The great quirk in life is that you never know when incidents far away will change your fate. How did ARE YOU BEING SERVED? and John Inman become such an iconic hit?

Anyone see MUNICH?

"Are You Being Served? began life as part of the BBC's Comedy Playhouse strand. But disruption to the 1972 Munich Olympics meant it was moved to fill gaps in the prime time schedule."

I love details like that.

Slade
Slade

Postby Slade » Sat Mar 31, 2007 7:24 am

For those who follow FOYLE'S WAR, Seasons Four and Five are coming to North America:

http://www.foyleswar.com/media/tv.htm
Slade

PreviousNext

Return to Multi-Media