Current TV Alert

Sladists are media maniacs...I mean lovers. Movies, Books, Music & Sports are all here.

Current TV Alert

Postby Slade » Sat Jan 21, 2006 4:31 am

Are any of you watching THE WAR THAT MADE AMERICA on PBS? The first two episodes were shown on Wednesday, January 18 (but you might be able to catch a repeat). The next two episodes will be shown next Wednesday. So, hands up all of you who know WHICH war actually made America. If you guessed the American Revolution, you're wrong. It was the French and Indian War - leading up to the battle on the Plains of Abraham. The series shows how Washington became a military leader, and gives the Indians full credit for their role. But for me, what's most interesting is how guerrilla tactics gave combatants the edge, a lesson that seems to have been lost in Vietnam and Iraq. So if you're up for a new perspective, tune in.

http://www.pbs.org/thewarthatmadeamerica

Slade
Slade

Postby Slade » Sat Jan 21, 2006 6:15 pm

Here's one for you, Slyragz.

An ENDLESS legal case:

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/ble ... index.html

Slade
Slade

Postby steelclaw32 » Sat Jan 21, 2006 7:51 pm

:D :D :D Pure class, Slade, total.

Nothing to beat it. The book was gripping,as know this will be to. thanks for the heads up.
steelclaw32
There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy. Hamlet: Act 1, Scene 5.
steelclaw32

Postby Slade » Sat Jan 21, 2006 9:22 pm

And, of course, it stars an old friend our ours:

PASADENA, Calif. (AP) - Since The X-Files ended, Gillian Anderson has tried to move as far away as possible from her fame as Dana Scully, the skeptical FBI agent assigned to investigate the paranormal.

In PBS's Bleak House, she's probably completely succeeded.

As the beautiful but tragic Lady Dedlock in this six-part Masterpiece Theatre adaptation of one of Charles Dickens' greatest novels, only Anderson's face is a reminder of Scully.

The American actress, exquisitely dressed and coiffed in high-Victorian style, her voice faultlessly English, exudes restrained grief in her role, which is pivotal to the novel's complex plot - a typical Dickens assault on the inequity of mid-19th century British society and the cruelty of its distorted and protracted legal system.
Slade

Postby PohlSE » Mon Jan 23, 2006 4:06 am

I haven't watched the series but I have found it interesting that the French and Indian War is the true forgotten war of American history. Without that one event (if you can categorize a war as an event) the entire history of the New World goes down the tubes. That war was the dress rehearsal for the Revolution...
PohlSE
Webmaster

Postby Slade » Mon Jan 23, 2006 4:51 am

PoulSE,

...or the Revolution was the postscript to the French and Indian War.

From an American point of view, the Revolution was the main event. But from an international point of view, England and France had always been at each other's throat:

The Norman Conquest of 1066.
The wars of Henry II of England and Philip II of France
The Stephen and Matilda conflict.
The Hundred Years War (1337–1453)
Parts of the Italian Wars (1511–1559).
The War of the Grand Alliance (1688–1697).
The War of the Spanish Succession (1702–1713).
The War of the Austrian Succession (1740–1748).
The Seven Years' War (1756–1763).
The American Revolutionary War (1775–1783).
The French Revolutionary Wars and the Napoleonic Wars (1792–1815).

It all came to a head on June 18, 1815, at the Battle of Waterloo.

http://www.britishbattles.com/waterloo/ ... e-1815.htm

In North America, it all came to a head on September 13, 1759, at the Battle of Quebec (the Plains of Abraham).

http://www.britishbattles.com/battle-of-quebec.htm

One could argue reasonably that the American Revolution was merely fallout from the French and Indian War.

Slade
Slade

Postby steelclaw32 » Mon Jan 23, 2006 5:26 am

Slade many thanks for those links...

It brought me back to school, when my history master voice was moved when retelling our "glorious" History.

God were we blood thirsty!, and Irony of ironies we, more or less, got their butts out of BOTH World Wars wars, and we still " love" each other!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
steelclaw32
steelclaw32

Postby Slade » Mon Jan 23, 2006 7:49 am

Steelclaw,

Personally, I think America "won" both World Wars, and saved Britain's bacon in both instances. The Pacific War is fascinating to me because in so many ways it was fought by the United States along the lines of the 18th and 19th century British Empire wars. Lots of naval hammering and storming the shores.

Slade
Slade

Postby PohlSE » Mon Jan 23, 2006 2:38 pm

One could argue reasonably that the American Revolution was merely fallout from the French and Indian War.

Very true... The French and Indian War is, arguably, the keystone event in the history of the Americas. With that in mind the fallout travels all the way to the Civil War and beyond.
PohlSE
Webmaster

Postby steelclaw32 » Mon Jan 23, 2006 4:18 pm

Slade wrote:Steelclaw,

Personally, I think America "won" both World Wars, and saved Britain's bacon in both instances. The Pacific War is fascinating to me because in so many ways it was fought by the United States along the lines of the 18th and 19th century British Empire wars. Lots of naval hammering and storming the shores.

Slade

No argument there of sorts Slade, but America came in ONLY after we did all the long leg work, and the US
weren't remotely interested in entering the war/s, and then did the mopping up bit. And :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I did say Slade "we, more or less, got their butts out of BOTH World Wars wars"

But a strange question though, If the US hadn't entered the war, would there been Pearl Harbour?!.
steelclaw32
steelclaw32

Postby Slade » Mon Jan 23, 2006 7:33 pm

PoulSE,

The NAMING of wars and battles is telling:

The war between the English and the French that included what was going on in North America is known to history as the Seven Years' War. That connects it to the Hundred Years' War between the same combatants. But from an American point of view, it's the French and Indian War - as in "us" British-cum-Americans vs. "them" French and Indians.

Likewise, in Canada, we know the battle between Wolfe and Montcalm as the Battle of the Plains of Abraham - a neutrally-named battle because of local politics. But history knows it as the Battle of Quebec.

Steelclaw,

Technically, it WAS Pearl Harbor that brought America into the war against Hitler, because of Nazi Germany's pact with Japan. But, behind the scenes - thanks to the relationship between Roosevelt and Churchill - America had long been keeping Britain afloat, and in that sense was already in the war.

What fascinates me is how America has changed. There was no doubt what Hitler was up to. Krystallnacht...

http://www.historyplace.com/worldwar2/t ... knacht.htm

...and the conquest of Europe, with Britain virtually on its knees, could not drag the United States into Europe's war. Now - "we need no permission slip" - all it takes is a fantasy.

Which brings us to KAMIKAZE.

Slade
Slade

Postby steelclaw32 » Mon Jan 23, 2006 9:36 pm

Thanks for that link, Jay, surely you've heard of the rumours later got out that the US KNEW of the attack and wanting "in" on the war let it happen, of course, it was only a rumour, but there was a hell of a stink though
when some damning evidence, of something to that 'fact' actually turned up many years later... WELL :shock: :oops:

I got that feeling when 9/11 happened as well, and look
at where the States is now?

Banzai ! anyone?
steelclaw32
steelclaw32

Postby The Card Player » Mon Jan 23, 2006 10:43 pm

What is Kamikaze? A new Slade book? That'd be great although I still can't find the lastest one.
The Card Player

Postby Mbwun » Tue Jan 24, 2006 5:49 pm

The Card Player,

Kamakaze is indeed another Slade book - it's the one he's working on as we speak. It's a sequel of sorts to the current Slade book Swastika.

Whereas Swastika deals with events that happened in Europe during WWII, Kamakaze will deal with events surrounding the conflict during WWII in the Pacific Realm.
How hard can it be? - Jeremy Clarkson
Make no mistake, this is a Supercar. Looks good .. goes fast .. nothing else matters. - Jeremy Clarkson

AMBITIOUS, BUT RUBBISH!
Mbwun

Postby The Card Player » Wed Jan 25, 2006 1:05 am

Thanks for the info. More Slade is good. More....we need more...
The Card Player

Next

Return to Multi-Media