Book discussion?

Sladists are media maniacs...I mean lovers. Movies, Books, Music & Sports are all here.

Postby Starra » Wed Apr 27, 2005 4:04 am

My copy of THE THREE COFFINS arrived in the mail this afternoon.

I'm on Chapter 11, and I am *&8@#$&%&* stumped.

Edited to add: It's no better after Chapter 19 either.
Starra

Postby Cawdorgraves » Tue May 03, 2005 3:24 am

So I can't seem to get many of these books via local book stores. Are we seriously going to have to order all of these via Amazon.com? I have checked quite a number of these books here in the city, ugh.

none of the first few books are accessible, time will tell. just hope I can get my hands on some of this titles in time so I can be part of the journey/conversations.

jC
------------------------------------------
D E F O R M A T O R Y
In The Wake Of Pestilence
https://deformatory.bigcartel.com
Cawdorgraves

Postby Starra » Tue May 03, 2005 8:21 pm

Cawdorgraves,

I got The Three Coffins from amazon.com for $2 used.

The local library didn't have it, but I got the book mailed to my house for less than $5 CDN.
Starra

Postby mortis1969 » Wed May 18, 2005 10:32 pm

I'd like to be included; i think it's a great idea
hoping to meet and converse with intelligent, well-rounded individuals.
mortis1969

Postby MarylandManson » Thu May 19, 2005 1:43 am

Welcome to the Board, mortis, and please do cozy up. Agatha and John await you...

Cheers! MM
MarylandManson
co-administrator

Postby Cawdorgraves » Thu Jun 02, 2005 7:37 am

Maryland, since this thread is potentially going to grow - could we post the READING SCHEDULE in its own thread and LOCK IT so people can reference to it again and again, and when updates need to be added, allow the Administrators (yourself) to do so.

CG
D E F O R M A T O R Y
In The Wake Of Pestilence
https://deformatory.bigcartel.com
Cawdorgraves

Postby moonflee » Wed Jun 08, 2005 1:17 am

So MM and Slade are on the same wave length as Oprah!

Oprah has a summer of Faulkner going on in her book club. She didn't pick Intruder in the Dust however.

Her picks are: As I Lay Dying, The Sound and the Fury, and Light in August.

http://www2.oprah.com/obc_classic/featb ... main.jhtml

And just to defend myself, because I don't hang out at Oprah's website - I had read her new book picks in our local paper.
Nothing’s so loud
As hearing when we lie
The truth is not kind
And you’ve said neither am I
- toad the wet sprocket
moonflee

Postby MarylandManson » Wed Jun 08, 2005 8:59 am

I've often wondered whether we'll ever see Oprah choose a Slade novel for her book club. Scary!
MarylandManson
co-administrator

Postby steelclaw32 » Wed Jun 08, 2005 4:05 pm

MarylandManson wrote:I've often wondered whether we'll ever see Oprah choose a Slade novel for her book club. Scary!

They'll xxx rate THAT show Count the bleeps!!! It'll make Dead Wood look
like Benny Hill :shock: :shock:
steelclaw32
There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy. Hamlet: Act 1, Scene 5.
steelclaw32

Postby Slade » Thu Jun 09, 2005 5:49 pm

Concerning Faulkner.

H.R.F. Keating was president of the Detection Club from 1985 to 2000. Keating published a guide to the genre called WHODUNIT? A GUIDE TO CRIME, SUSPENSE & SPY FICTION. In it, he and a panel of writers ranked all the classic novels on a 1 to 10 scale in four categories: Characterization, Plot, Readability, and Tension. Every writer - except one - fell short of a perfect score. The four 10s went to Faulkner.

Hands up, anyone, if you've never read the guy. If so, here's your chance to fill a huge gap in your reading experience, and to be able to discuss one of the novels NOT on Oprah's list.

Keating's comment:

"Nobel prize-winner William Faulkner, one of the greatest names in American literature, was always bemused by the criminal mind. It surfaces in most of his writings, coloring his novels of Yoknapatawpha County, and certainly is an integral part of the Snopes volumes...It is for INTRUDER IN THE DUST that he will be remembered in mystery annals, certainly one of the finest mysteries ever written."

Slade
Slade

The Book List

Postby Judy » Tue Jul 05, 2005 3:18 am

Hi Everyone,
I love the idea of all these titles . . . unfortunately I have a whole list of titles in the works already. But I did manage to get a copy of THE THREE COFFINS from the local lib. and also managed to pick up a copy of Carr's Bio. on Sir Arthur Conan Doyle - I never knew he had written it. As a confirmed Holmes fan I like reading things about Doyle.

I must say I have read many of the titles in the list yrs. ago - (as a child I never felt the need to read . . . told my teacher that my father read to me every night - that led to a note home to my parents to please stop so I would concentrate on learning to read) :lol:

When I was 8 or 9 I found Nancy Drew, Judy Boulton, and Cherry Ames books and my interest in reading blossomed . . . then I progressed to Agatha Christie, Erle Stanley Gardner, and many other mystery writers . . . I joined Book-of-the-Month Club at the age of 14 and never looked back . . . .

I have a list of favorite authors and it's long enough to keep me reading new stuff for a long time . . . so even though I may not actually participate in the discussion . . . I'm looking forward to the titles presented. I tend to have eclectic tastes and read most all genres of books and nowadays have a tendency to listen to them if possible on CD's . . . with failing eyesight it's a good thing that my hearing isn't impaired yet . . . :lol:

Judy

Judy

Postby MarylandManson » Sun Jul 10, 2005 3:44 pm

Folks: In honor of Ed McBain's passing and his influence upon Slade, how about moving up LADY, LADY, I DID IT! to September 2005? We can move the Fleming/Le Carre double-bill to McBain's March 2006 slot.

Okay by you, Slade? Any objections from the Sladists? I'll hold off until I hear back.

MM
MarylandManson
co-administrator

Postby Starra » Sun Jul 10, 2005 5:58 pm

I'm in.

That sounds good.
Starra

Postby Slade » Mon Jul 11, 2005 12:39 am

Okay, MM.

Because it's often hard to find books on a backlist, I'll suggest several 87th Precinct mysteries:

COP HATER (1956). The first one.
KILLER'S WEDGE (1959). McBain's locked room.
LADY, LADY, I DID IT! (1961). The birth of Slade.
TEN PLUS ONE (1963). Good whodunit.
80 MILLION EYES (1966). Death on TV.
SADIE WHEN SHE DIED (1972). Many say it's his best.
BLOOD RELATIVES (1975). A favorite of McBain's.
LONG TIME, NO SEE (1977). The Vietnam book.
MONEY, MONEY, MONEY (2001). Can Fat Ollie write?

So let's try for LADY, LADY, with TEN PLUS ONE or one of the others as backup. As each person selects one, post it so we all know.

Slade
Slade

Postby TBLightning492 » Wed Jul 27, 2005 11:14 am

I'm in for Money,Money, Money so far. Still trying to track down the others. Thank goodness for EBay.
TBLightning492

PreviousNext

Return to Multi-Media