Book discussion?

Sladists are media maniacs...I mean lovers. Movies, Books, Music & Sports are all here.

Postby MarylandManson » Sun Apr 17, 2005 5:51 pm

Now I'm embarrassed. Please don't tell my mother (who is a librarian) that I didn't know about out-of-state--or international--inter-library loan!

As for HAIRSPRAY, Slade, you probably know it was a 1988 film by Bawlmer's own John Waters. Anyone who wants to hear John Waters stories, feel free to start a topic over in the "Movies..." forum. I got plenty of 'em...

MM
MarylandManson
co-administrator

Postby moonflee » Sun Apr 17, 2005 7:08 pm

My boss's wife is a Librarian - that's the only reason I knew about the library loan thing.

I own the Matheson book and recently picked up the Carr book to go with the others I purchased from eBay.

I own all the Fleming Bond's - now the best one? I'd have to think about that one.
moonflee

Postby Slade » Sun Apr 17, 2005 7:35 pm

John Dickson Carr's THE THREE COFFINS seems to be shaking down as the first book up for discussion. Not only is it one of his two best (along with THE JUDAS WINDOW under his pen name Carter Dickson), and not only does it contain "the Locked Room lecture," and not only does it have several puzzles to solve, and not only does it have premature burial, but it also leads into a discussion of Slade's book, RIPPER.

THE THREE COFFINS was chosen by Boris Karloff and Anthony Boucher (the Bouchercon) for the Dell Great Mystery Library. The New York Times: "Here, in its perfection, is a magnificently enjoyable book..."

"The Invisible Murderer...He killed his first victim and literally disappeared. He killed his second victim in the middle of an empty street, with watchers at either end; yet not a soul saw him, and no footprint appeared in the snow.

"The perplexing murder of Professor Grimaud and the equally incredible murder on Cagliostro Street presented the famous detective Dr. Gideon Fell with the most terrifying and baffling case he was ever called upon to solve."

San Francisco Chronicle: "Probably the nearest to perfection we'll ever get in the locked-room school."

Can't do better than that, eh?

Start hunting.

Slade
Slade

Postby WaywardSoul » Mon Apr 18, 2005 1:16 am

Not much of a hunt, luckily for me.

My local branch just happened to have "The John Dickson Carr Treasury" (1935) Doubleday, which I reserved online.

This is my first time reading Carr, but the brief synopsis I read for "The Three Coffins" really piqued my interest.
"Remember, there's a big difference between kneeling down and bending over." - Frank Zappa
WaywardSoul

Postby Cawdorgraves » Mon Apr 18, 2005 2:24 am

I am going to go tomorrow and see if I can get this book. It will be great to have everyone apart of this and readng the same thing. All of us will be on the page awaiting in anticipation for SLADE to become available. And we will all enjoy a good twist. See who can solve things before the end, but not spoil it for others.

Play wise - I have heard about Toronto's Lord of the Rings play coming together. THat is goign to be incredible. Am excited to know if WETA will be apart of providing props.

Wicked is another book I am having a hard time poking my way through. I would have really enjoyed see the Producer's, although it is going to be made into a movie (again) and it should be done very well.

Let the reading begin!

jC
------------------------------------------
D E F O R M A T O R Y
In The Wake Of Pestilence
https://deformatory.bigcartel.com
Cawdorgraves

Postby steelclaw32 » Mon Apr 18, 2005 7:14 am

As reader and a rather voracious one at that :shock: :P ; I've just come across this great site.

If you like Agatha Christie you'll love this : http://www.sayers.org.uk/ .

Stangely enough Miss Sayers wasn't overly fond of Miss Christie's stories,

Miss Sayers was a more "why dunnit" rather then the norm.

Enjoy :P :P :P

Oops :oops: forgot this one too. : http://www.catharton.com/
steelclaw32
There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy. Hamlet: Act 1, Scene 5.
steelclaw32

Postby specialx » Mon Apr 18, 2005 10:47 pm

I just ordered "The Three Coffins" from e-bay. Can't wait to start reading it. Seems very interesting.

BTW, I'll order "I Am Legend" soon as well... Getting primed up for my summer reading...

specialX
specialx
Site Admin

Postby krista in ma » Mon Apr 18, 2005 11:40 pm

Cawdorgraves wrote:I am going to go tomorrow and see if I can get this book. It will be great to have everyone apart of this and readng the same thing. All of us will be on the page awaiting in anticipation for SLADE to become available. And we will all enjoy a good twist. See who can solve things before the end, but not spoil it for others.

i am looking forward to this :) just a couple of quick questions... i am assuming i have time to order it from online / get it shipped, is there a planned time for starting to read / begin discussion? are we going to be reading part of it, followed by a discussion, or read the entire thing, than discuss it?
~ Spc. Byron W. Fouty, MI ~ Staff Sgt. Alex R. Jimenez, MA ~
They have served our nation; together they are home.
~ Staff Sgt. Keith Matthew Maupin ~
An American Son Returns Home
krista in ma

Postby raasnio » Tue Apr 19, 2005 1:04 am

I own I Am Legend. I just need to order the Carr novel, or find it at a local bookstore.
raasnio
techno-guru / co-administrator

Postby Slade » Tue Apr 19, 2005 1:10 am

Krista,

It seems to me that we should have a general thread to decide on the books - that's THIS thread - and set a date to begin discussing THE THREE COFFINS at a new thread with that heading. That thread would go up on "opening day" - say June 1st, just over five weeks from now. The discussion would have to be about the whole book. Wrangling cats would be easier than trying to keep readers on the same page. And late-comers could join in at anytime, as long as there's still life in the discussion.

It's MM's show, so he should set the rules, the timeline, and put up the post.

The above is just to discuss the discussion.

Slade
Slade

Postby Cawdorgraves » Tue Apr 19, 2005 2:13 am

I think Jay you are right June 1st would be enough time for people to get a copy and at least some of it to get involved in the discussions.

This should be fun. We'll have our very own book club - maybe we can be as cool as Oprah!!!! Kidding sladists

jC
D E F O R M A T O R Y
In The Wake Of Pestilence
https://deformatory.bigcartel.com
Cawdorgraves

Postby krista in ma » Tue Apr 19, 2005 2:20 am

phew, i thought i was missing something :)

i have plenty of time to order the book and begin reading.

thanks!
~ Spc. Byron W. Fouty, MI ~ Staff Sgt. Alex R. Jimenez, MA ~
They have served our nation; together they are home.
~ Staff Sgt. Keith Matthew Maupin ~
An American Son Returns Home
krista in ma

Postby Starra » Tue Apr 19, 2005 4:23 am

My copy is on it's way from Amazon.com as I type.
Starra

Postby MarylandManson » Tue Apr 19, 2005 5:16 pm

June seems a great time to start with THE THREE COFFINS. I'll set up the new forum soon--probably this coming weekend. I'm hoping some folks from the Euro side of the pond weigh in. The more diverse the crowd, the better!

MM
MarylandManson
co-administrator

Postby MrEd » Wed Apr 20, 2005 1:27 am

MarylandManson wrote:The more diverse the crowd, the better!

Gee, maybe even this talking/reading/typing equine will add to the 'diversity'. :shock:
"One that will not reason is a bigot. One that cannot reason is an ignoramus. One that dares not reason is a slave." - Anon
MrEd

PreviousNext

Return to Multi-Media