Sladists are media maniacs...I mean lovers. Movies, Books, Music & Sports are all here.

Postby Cawdorgraves » Sun Apr 17, 2005 7:09 am

So who really is the best Bond?

What is the best movie in this series?

Who is suitable to be the next bond?

I am sure we are all fans of these movies in one way or another. how can you not be hooked on these wonderful silly tales of bizarre characters, nifty gadgets, and exotic women/locations.

And who can complain whenever there is a Bond Weekend on the TV!

jC
------------------------------------------
D E F O R M A T O R Y
In The Wake Of Pestilence
https://deformatory.bigcartel.com
Cawdorgraves

Re: 007

Postby MrEd » Sun Apr 17, 2005 3:42 pm

Cawdorgraves wrote:
a) So who really is the best Bond?

b) What is the best movie in this series?

c) Who is suitable to be the next bond?

All in my non-humble opinion, of course...

a) Sean Connery (I know, I know - he maybe played Bond less like the character was written than any other, but let's face it, when soeone says "James Bond" - it's much more than likely that to millions it's Sean Connery's face that pops into people's mind's eyes. My choice for an extremely close second is Timothy Dalton.

b) Much tougher question, much tougher...at this moment, I think I'll make an eclectic choice - "On Her Majesty's Secret Service".

c) What the hell...Colin Farrell. :wink:
"One that will not reason is a bigot. One that cannot reason is an ignoramus. One that dares not reason is a slave." - Anon
MrEd

Postby Slade » Sun Apr 17, 2005 4:34 pm

Who is the best Bond? Sean Connery. He electrified the movie world when he first appeared onscreen...if you were there in the early 60s, you know what I mean. It was like Beatlemania.

I agree with MrEd that Timothy Dalton comes second. Why? Because to fill the role, Bond must have physical bulk. Recall the all-out fight with Red Grant in the train compartment in FROM RUSSIA WITH LOVE. Roger Moore, George Lazenby and Pierce Brosnan (not to mention David Niven) would have been creamed. Bond must be able to hold his own against all comers. When I watch the lightweights, it reminds me of Alan Ladd, who was so short that he had to stand on an orange crate for his fight scenes so that he could look the bad guys in the eye.

The best movie in the series is DR. NO. Again, I agree with MrEd that ON HER MAJESTY'S SECRET SERVICE has one of the best stories, but Bond was never tougher than he was in that movie. It came out several years before the antihero took hold in Hollywood, so two scenes were truly memorable at the time. First, when Bond shoots the would-be assassin in cold blood - "That's a Smith & Wesson, Doctor, and you've had your six shots." - and second, when he takes the Eurasian woman to bed to pass time while the cops are coming to arrest her.

Bond is like Tarzan. He frees the modern male from all social restraints. Tarzan doesn't worry about taxes as he swings through the trees, and no necktie cinches him to an office desk as his loincloth flaps in the breeze. In the same way, Bond is licensed to kill. He decides who lives and dies according to his personal moral code, and woe betide the person who crosses him. Mike Hammer satisfied the same need for GIs who returned from the war and didn't like the reality of what they'd actually been fighting for. I, THE JURY.

Also, there was never a Bond girl who came close to Ursula.

As for the next Bond, if only Clive Owen was ten years younger, he would be the best choice. Owen is in his forties, and Bond should be 32 or 33. Last night, as I watched CLOSER, I kept thinking what a good Bond he would be, if only...

Bulk, Ms. Broccoli, bulk. Make sure the man you choose for the role is up to the job. Suspension of disbelief is undermined if Bond is a pretty boy who can be swatted aside like a fly.

Slade
Slade

Postby MrEd » Sun Apr 17, 2005 4:37 pm

Wow! Felt so strongly about that that it worth posting twice, eh, Slade? :wink: / :D
"One that will not reason is a bigot. One that cannot reason is an ignoramus. One that dares not reason is a slave." - Anon
MrEd

Postby Slade » Sun Apr 17, 2005 4:57 pm

Itchy trigger finger, MrEd. I tried to speed the Board up, then had to delete.
Slade

Postby MarylandManson » Sun Apr 17, 2005 6:05 pm

Best Bond? See Slade's answer. I agree 100%. But Dalton is my favorite.

Best movie? http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0097742/use ... s?start=60
But OHMSS would take the prize hands down if Connery had starred.

Next Bond? Clive Owen gets my vote, bulk or no. Someone get that guy to a Nautilus!

MM
MarylandManson
co-administrator

Postby Starra » Sun Apr 17, 2005 7:10 pm

Hands down, Sean Connery and Dr. No.

There is no debate in my mind.

"No, Mister Bond, I expect you to die."
Starra

Postby Slade » Sun Apr 17, 2005 7:57 pm

Starra,

We're of one mind, but...

Unless my memory is faulty, the quote you use was spoken by Goldfinger.

Slade
Slade

Postby Starra » Sun Apr 17, 2005 8:25 pm

You are correct. It was Goldfinger.

It's the only line from any Bond movie I can use on a weekly basis.

For some reason, I remembered as being from the first Bond flick I'd ever seen, but it was actually from the second.

My bad.
Starra

Postby raasnio » Sun Apr 17, 2005 9:08 pm

a) Best Bond?

This is where favorite and best differ. Best I'd say is Timothy Dalton. He isn't my favorite, but he nailed the role as far as I'm concerned. Yes, I've read quite a few of the novels. :D

b) Best Bond movie?

Tough one. Perhaps License To Kill.

c)

Next Bond? Hopefully it will be:

Daniel Craig <---
raasnio
techno-guru / co-administrator

Postby Slade » Sun Apr 17, 2005 9:51 pm

This, too, is shaking down into one of two schools:

Connery and DR. NO

vs.

Dalton and LICENSE TO KILL.

Interesting.

Slade
Slade

Postby raasnio » Sun Apr 17, 2005 11:17 pm

Connery seems to be the fan favorite. It would be tough to say who is my favorite, but as to the first film in the series, Dr. No, I can only say that, at least to me, it suffers from being the first one out the door and feels as if it hadn't come into it's own at that point. What amazes me is that the second and third films, From Russia With Love and Goldinger, respectively, feel so much more polished in comparison.
raasnio
techno-guru / co-administrator

Postby PohlSE » Mon Apr 18, 2005 12:15 am

Oh man... my crowd pleaser reputation ( :twisted: ) will certainly be in jeopardy after this.

Best Bond

>Pulling out the gene splicer<

Connery's looks and physique,
Dalton's smoldering intensity and cruel eyes,
and finally...
Brosnan's charisma and his hair (Bond can't be balding).

He's alive! ALIVE! AHHAHAH! >ahem<

Best movie in the series... Another hard one, how about a top five:

1) Dr. No
2) Goldfinger
3) The Living Daylights
4) For Your Eyes Only
5) GoldenEye

Who should be next... Well I have heard a rumor that Sony may take the choice away from the Broccolis and just pay the 20 gazillion that Brosnan wanted.

Apart from that I would be tempted to select someone w/ star power to ease the transition from Brosnan. I suppose Ewan McGregor could work if you loaded him up on steroids and got him some platform shoes. But that won't happen so Clive Owen is a good choice.
PohlSE
Webmaster

Postby Starra » Mon Apr 18, 2005 12:35 am

Colin Firth.

He's the best there is to be next Bond, but I heard he doesn't want it.
Starra

Postby Mbwun » Mon Apr 18, 2005 1:12 am

The problem I have with Clive Owen in the role of James Bond is that Owen tends to have a rather blank, chandelier short a bulb or two look to his face most of the time. He only looks intelligent when he's putting forth an effort to look that way. James Bond needs to be played by someone who looks like he's firing on more than the alotted number of cylinders.

I really do hope that Brosnan does at least one more outing as Bond. He has an eagle-like intelligence to his look. I've always thought he was a bit too diminutive for the role, but so far, none of the actors touted to replace him has blown my skirt up.

I just think that it is better to stick with Brosnan for another film or two until they find just the right person to replace him. All this bandying about with different names of actors to replace him says to me that they're just not very sure they've found someone to successfully replace Brosnan yet.

"One definite bird in the hand is better than any number of maybes in the bush."

But if they do go outside of the UK to find an actor to fill the role, I think it's only right that they look to Canada to find that actor. After all, Ian Fleming based the character of James Bond on Sir William Stephenson (aka. Intrepid); a Canadian, and probably one of the most important figures during World War II.
Last edited by Mbwun on Mon Apr 18, 2005 2:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
How hard can it be? - Jeremy Clarkson
Make no mistake, this is a Supercar. Looks good .. goes fast .. nothing else matters. - Jeremy Clarkson

AMBITIOUS, BUT RUBBISH!
Mbwun

Next

Return to Multi-Media