[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
• View topic - Timeline

Timeline

Sladists are media maniacs...I mean lovers. Movies, Books, Music & Sports are all here.

Postby SickThing » Sun Sep 09, 2007 10:57 am

My wife and I watched Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid again last night. It had been a long time since I last saw it, and much of it I had forgotten.

Little side note: my first exposure to in-hotel-room movies was in 1976, when we stayed at a motel in Kissimmee, FL, on a trip to Disney World. The motel boasted of "in-room movies", and they showed Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid and The Day of the Dolphin repeatedly, all day and all night. We saw parts of both movies at least a dozen times that week.

"Who are those guys?"

"Fa. Loves. Pa."
SickThing

Postby Slade » Sun Sep 09, 2007 5:58 pm

WS,

What began as a summer whim has turned into a lot of fun. When I was a kid - and you too - there was "concentration of culture." By that I mean, due to limited media outlets, we were "all on the same page." When Elvis appeared on THE ED SULLIVAN SHOW, everybody saw him, and all could talk about the same thing the next day. Now, with a zillion channels and the Internet, it takes commitment, but it's still there. Here we sit, seated around the world, and with a little effort, anyone joining this thread can venture into a whole new realm with like-minded people. Jack Palance died. "Who was he, Dad?" "One of the deadliest bad guys ever put on film. If you want to see, let's watch SHANE." "Okay, get it for this Friday night."

Several times, I've posted this exchange:

Shane: So you're Jack Wilson.
Jack Wilson: What's that mean to you, Shane?
Shane: I've heard about you.
Jack Wilson: What have you heard, Shane?
Shane: I've heard that you're a low-down Yankee liar.
Jack Wilson: Prove it.

This time, I got into the gunfight in detail, playing it again and again. The way Wilson sets the coffeepot aside. The way he stands up and walks around the table. The way Shane pushes away from the bar. And the way every cut adds to the whole.

Riveting!

http://www.filmreference.com/Writers-an ... lliam.html

Frank Capra called William Hornbeck "the greatest film editor in the history of motion pictures," and in a 1977 poll 100 of his peers named Hornbeck the best editor in the film industry...

He began at the bottom as a winder of film when hardly more than a child, and worked up the ladder of the business slowly and thoroughly, learning every phase of film cutting...

His editing technique is simple: it serves its story, and the intent of the director, according to what is most appropriate; it is superbly crafted; it is humanistic in tone...

In Shane, during a lengthy fight in a saloon, the story presents the fascinated young boy (Brandon DeWilde) watching his hero, Alan Ladd, defeat the badmen. The action of the fight is cut so that the audience is returned several times to the sight of DeWilde watching the fight. Since the response of the boy to the gunfighter hero is one of the basic thematic concerns of the film, rapidly cutting him into the dynamic action of the saloon fight maintains the integrity of the fight but also grounds it firmly in the point of view of the child. Later in the same film, DeWilde "participates" in the final gunfight by warning the hero at a crucial moment. Hornbeck's cutting on sound (the cry of the boy's warning) again effectively illustrates the point of the boy's desire not only to watch the hero, but to be the hero. A hard punch on a villain's jaw by Alan Ladd is followed by a cut to the boy crunching down hard on a candy stick. The crack of the candy replaces the sound of the jaw punch, and again unites action to thematic purpose. (These masterful examples of Hornbeck's work were chosen by the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences to illustrate the technique of editing at one of their annual Oscar shows.)

When I first saw SHANE as a boy, I, too, was awestruck by my gunfighter hero.

Now I know why.

Slade
Slade

Postby Wil » Thu Sep 13, 2007 9:44 am

Wil

Postby Slade » Thu Sep 13, 2007 4:16 pm

Slade

Postby Wil » Thu Sep 13, 2007 8:48 pm

Wil

Postby Wil » Thu Sep 13, 2007 9:03 pm

Wil

Postby Slade » Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:26 pm

Last night, I had one of those "Western moments" that put you to the test. My wife and I went out for Chinese food. As we were heading home, she slammed on the brakes. Standing bewildered on the road in front of the car was a small, white cat. Lee gave it a short honk, but the cat didn't move. She gave it a flick of the lights, but the cat didn't blink. So, keeping the car where it was to block any tail-end traffic, she punched on the Hazard lights and got out.

From the passenger's seat, I watched her crouch down in the headlight beams and talk to the cat. Then she moved her hand back and forth in front of its eyes. Finally, she bundled it up in her arms and carried it back to the car.

"I think it's blind," she said.

What suddenly struck me was that our household might be growing by one. An ordinary cat, we could just shoo off the road. But a blind cat, that was something different. Fate had determined that OUR car just happened to chance along, so this pathetic creature was mine to let live or die. It was in OUR car.

Leave a blind cat to fend for itself, and it would probably get crushed by a car after we left. Take it to the SPCA, and it would probably be put down. Either course of action would hit me later. There'd be that shudder of cold awareness, and loathing mutter to self, "What a jerk! You couldn't face up to the inconvenience." (Probably a rather expensive inconvenience from the looks of the waif.)

That's the problem with Westerns. They put you in a bind and leave you just one moral choice. And that sort of thinking spills over into your everyday life.

"Okay, Cat. If we can't place you, you're coming home with us."

As luck would have it, we found the cat's home. "My God! She's old and blind! How did she sneak out?"

As we walked back to our car, a vehicle stopped behind the flashers and a man got out. "Trouble?" he said. "How can I help?"

Today, I took a video back to the library. I drove across the same stretch of road and it looked like every empty stretch that I've been driving down all my life.

A small moment, now lost in time, but influenced by this thread.

Slade
Slade

Postby WaywardSoul » Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:44 pm

"Remember, there's a big difference between kneeling down and bending over." - Frank Zappa
WaywardSoul

Postby Slade » Fri Sep 14, 2007 12:16 am

Slade

Postby Cawdorgraves » Sun Sep 16, 2007 9:06 am

------------------------------------------
D E F O R M A T O R Y
In The Wake Of Pestilence
https://deformatory.bigcartel.com
Cawdorgraves

Postby Slade » Mon Sep 17, 2007 3:51 pm

"I never knew an actor in my lifetime or anybody's lifetime who didn't want to do a Western. We all want to do Westerns and believe me it belongs to us in this country, uniquely to us. ... The Western is here to stay." - "Broken Trail" actor and Emmy winner Robert Duvall.
Slade

Postby PohlSE » Mon Sep 17, 2007 11:13 pm

PohlSE
Webmaster

Postby MarylandManson » Tue Sep 18, 2007 1:15 am

MarylandManson
co-administrator

Postby Wil » Tue Sep 18, 2007 6:45 am

Wil

Postby MarylandManson » Tue Sep 18, 2007 11:33 am

MarylandManson
co-administrator