What are you listening to?

Sladists are media maniacs...I mean lovers. Movies, Books, Music & Sports are all here.

What are you listening to?

Postby Bombz Away » Tue Oct 02, 2007 5:24 pm

A number of musical references (Ghoul) has made me wonder - what sort of music people on this 'ere board are into

Currently in my CD player ....
Thrill Pistol by Tigertailz

:D
Bombz Away

Postby WaywardSoul » Tue Oct 02, 2007 6:28 pm

Currently loading my favorite Soul music selections onto my iPod, so I've been listening to alot of Stevie Wonder, Earth, Wind, and Fire, The Temptations, Aretha Franklin, Parliament Funkadelic, etc.

After the recent television special and discussions here, I dug out my Live In Las Vegas: Elvis boxset for a few listens.

For new music, I'm waiting on the release of Kid Rock's latest CD ROCK and ROLL JESUS.

I'm into all kinds of music, depending on my mood and the situation.

It's much easier to list the types of music I don't like, such as the Euro-synth noise you hear in dance clubs, anything from those god-awful boy bands, the watered down junk that passes for modern country music, and the bubblegum pop that those wannabes try to pass off for Punk music.
"Remember, there's a big difference between kneeling down and bending over." - Frank Zappa
WaywardSoul

Postby Slade » Tue Oct 02, 2007 7:40 pm

WS,

It's too bad this one went "out of print."

Check the complete playlist:

http://www.amazon.com/R-Box-Years-Rhyth ... 367#disc_1

Slade
Slade

Postby WaywardSoul » Tue Oct 02, 2007 8:04 pm

Whoa!

I'm not familiar with everything on there, but the stuff I do know like Mabel Scott, Jackie Brenston, Lloyd Price, The Five Satins, to name a few, is all top notch.

I'd say roughly I have about half those songs already, in some form or fashion.

A personal fave is Johnny Ace's "Pledging My Love" . Absolutely haunting, especially considering it was released, and became a hit for him, posthumously.

I wonder if Nick Craven has a copy of this? Seems like his kind of music, huh?
"Remember, there's a big difference between kneeling down and bending over." - Frank Zappa
WaywardSoul

Postby Slade » Tue Oct 02, 2007 9:04 pm

WS,

Here's an entertainer - Mr. Excitement - who's a Must.

Are you into him?

http://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Jackie-W ... 1-3#disc_1
Slade

Postby WaywardSoul » Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:56 pm

Slade,

I only know Jackie Wilson from his bigger hits like "Lonely Teardrops", "That's Why (I Love You So)", and "(Your Love Keeps Lifting Me) Higher & Higher" , but I like what I've heard.

While watching several documentaries on the history of Rock and Soul music, I've heard other big name artists acknowledge what a dynamic live performer Wilson was.
WaywardSoul

Postby Slade » Tue Oct 02, 2007 11:34 pm

WS,

Hunt down a listen to "Reet Petite."

Slade
Slade

Postby WaywardSoul » Wed Oct 03, 2007 12:52 am

Slade,

Whenever I decide to give an artist a closer look/listen, I always go for the backstory.

"When Jackie Wilson died in 1984, he was buried in a pauper's grave, devoid of even a simple marker. Yet, at his peak, he was one of the 20th century's finest singing talents who, between 1957 and 1968, achieved 24 Top 40 hits in the U.S. with tracks like "To Be Loved," "Higher and Higher," and "I Get the Sweetest Feeling." Wilson was the first major star groomed by Berry Gordy for his new Motown label, and scored the label's first hits, and thus is an integral part of this story. In live performance, Wilson's amazing vocal range and gliding, rapturous style influenced Elvis Presley himself -- and later Michael Jackson. Offstage, Wilson lived a life bent on self-destruction. Professionally controlled by the Mafia and hounded by the IRS, he embarked on three marriages and untold extra-marital affairs. He suffered massive alcohol dependency and chronic addiction to amphetamines and cocaine. Shot and critically wounded by a former girlfriend in 1961, he later suffered a heart attack in 1975 and remained in a coma until his death nearly nine years later."

This is just screaming for cinematic treatment!
Who in Hollywood dropped the ball on this one?

From what I've read so far, I definitely need to know more about Wilson and his music.
WaywardSoul

Postby Slade » Wed Oct 03, 2007 2:51 am

WS,

You'll be amazed by his vocal range.
Slade

Re: What are you listening to?

Postby PohlSE » Wed Oct 03, 2007 3:40 am

Bombz Away wrote:A number of musical references (Ghoul) has made me wonder - what sort of music people on this 'ere board are into

Currently in my CD player ....
Thrill Pistol by Tigertailz

:D

I was major headbanger in my youth. Metallica, Megadeth, Motorhead, and the like. Later I added some Alternative and Grunge into the mix like SoundGarden and Nirvana.

While I still listen to those I'll pretty much listen to any of the fifties or sixties music, too.

Modern music makes me wretch almost as much as Disco did. :)
PohlSE
Webmaster

Postby SickThing » Wed Oct 03, 2007 11:02 am

I always have certain groups in rotation (Alice Cooper, KISS, Rush, Webb WIlder, Journey, Jackyl, ELO, Elvis), but my most recent purchase was Ted Nugent's new album, Love Grenade. Good stuff!
SickThing

Postby Slade » Wed Oct 03, 2007 5:20 pm

WS,

How deep are you into the Drifters? The Clyde McPhatter years? This one is a cornerstone of my music collection. The title - LET THE BOOGIE-WOOGIE ROLL - says it all:

http://www.amazon.com/Drifters-Boogie-W ... 368&sr=1-1

Take a listen to "What'cha Gonna Do." The Drifters always go into the player when the champagne flows on New Year's Eve. There's no better way to dance in the New Year, even if it's with a lampshade.

Here's the story:

http://home.att.net/~marvy42/Drifters/drifters.html

Slade
Slade

Postby WaywardSoul » Wed Oct 03, 2007 6:41 pm

Slade,

I'm familiar with The Drifters, but from songs of the post-McPhatter years like "There Goes My Baby," "This Magic Moment," and "Under the Boardwalk" .

When the topic turns to R&B vocal groups, this is the group that tops my list:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Platters

"Only You", "The Great Pretender", "My Prayer", and "Twilight Time" are all classics.
How can you not love these guys and gal?

On a side note, I see that Jackie Wilson replaced Clyde McPhatter in The Dominoes, when he left to form The Drifters.

So much music, so little time!
WaywardSoul

Postby Slade » Wed Oct 03, 2007 7:49 pm

WS,

And Clyde was from North Carolina.

I agree that The Platters are the top of the ladder. My wife will take them over The Drifters any day, and so will most sophisticated music lovers. But for me, it always boils down to danceability.

The companion set to LET THE BOOGIE-WOOGIE ROLL is still around, and runs through the other leads - Ben E. King, etc. - that we know from the biggest hits:

http://amazon.com/gp/product/B000002INL ... d_i=507846

Ironically, one of the best songs - "She Never Talked To Me That Way" - was issued only in Britain!

Here's the rest of the Drifters story:

http://home.att.net/~uncamarvy/Drifters ... slate.html

Slade
Slade

Postby Slade » Wed Oct 03, 2007 8:00 pm

WS,

P.S. You gotta love details like this: The blues guitar on “On Broadway” was played by Phil Spector. Leiber and Stoller met him, guitar in hand, on the day of the session, and they invited him to come along and play.
Slade

Next

Return to Multi-Media