John Dickson Carr

Sladists are media maniacs...I mean lovers. Movies, Books, Music & Sports are all here.

Postby Slade » Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:06 am

You'll find RIM OF THE PIT discussed in the new RED SNOW back story in the Morgue at the Slade Website.

It's available from Ramble House:

http://www.ramblehouse.com/rimofthepit.htm

Father Brown is easy:

http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Father-B ... 014009766X
Slade

Postby dreab trawets » Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:25 am

I didn't think it was the same one...

And just found The Futrelle one as well..

Thanks for the steering..

And thanks to amazon.co.uk for helping me order..

Rim of the Pit
The Hangmans Handyman

The Mystery of the Yellow Room
The Thinking Machine: Including The Problem of Cell 13

The rest i will look at when i raid my kids piggy bank.

I may be gone for a while..
“After my head has been chopped off, will I still be able to hear, at least for a moment , the sound of my own blood gushing from my neck? That would be the best pleasure to end all pleasure. “
dreab trawets

Location: like someone had combined shrimp and tomato soup and then forgot to put the lid on the blender

Postby dreab trawets » Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:35 pm

Finished Rim of the Pit...
very good, and nice to know some of the seance tricks they use..

And i kind of guessed the who and the how of the ghost, but not the why until later..

Now onto The Mystery of the Yellow Room...
An original locked room mystery, with no sliding doors..
cool
“After my head has been chopped off, will I still be able to hear, at least for a moment , the sound of my own blood gushing from my neck? That would be the best pleasure to end all pleasure. “
dreab trawets

Location: like someone had combined shrimp and tomato soup and then forgot to put the lid on the blender

Postby dreab trawets » Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:03 pm

Yellow Room was very good...
Lots of false leads..

But what has annoyed me is The Problem of Cell 13.. by Jacques Futrelle
This is heralded as a great short story, and a locked room mystery par excellence, but it is not a locked room mystery, and will not say anymore if you haven't read it.

Maybe in the 1900's it was a good story, but this... no sorry..
dreab trawets

Postby PohlSE » Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:31 pm

Update: My daughter is loving Three Coffins so far. I have a feeling I'll be ordering more Carr books soon. :)
PohlSE
Webmaster

Postby Slade » Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:10 pm

Due to the enthusiasm for Carr displayed by those who have discovered him through my praise on this Board, I thought I should re-read the author after so many years.

THE MAD HATTER MYSTERY displays his genius at plotting, and you can see Carr in your mind's eye wandering around the Tower of London to sketch the murder at Traitors' Gate.

Now, thanks to the Internet, you can also follow along with photos of the Tower, which, of course, hasn't changed since he wrote HATTER in the 1930s.

But best of all, I discovered that I haven't read one of Carr best books, according to fans on the Web. It's out of print, and not in the libraries, but yesterday, a good friend who I turned on to Carr years ago knocked on my door said, "Is this what you're looking for?"

The first victim lay bloodless, the mark of the vampire's teeth in his neck. The second one slowly bled to death on top of a tower, where no living being could have come near him. Then, a woman was frightened to death by something she never saw, something she only heard, whispering malign words of evil...

Slade
Slade

Postby Mbwun » Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:22 pm

It sounds like these books are really quite good. Too bad I probably won't ever be able to read any of them. They all seem to be out of print, and unable to be ordered through a book store. And I've never seen any of them show up used anywhere.

Not even the library has any of them.

:?
How hard can it be? - Jeremy Clarkson
Make no mistake, this is a Supercar. Looks good .. goes fast .. nothing else matters. - Jeremy Clarkson

AMBITIOUS, BUT RUBBISH!
Mbwun

Postby dreab trawets » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:05 pm

Slade said...
The first victim lay bloodless, the mark of the vampire's teeth in his neck. The second one slowly bled to death on top of a tower, where no living being could have come near him. Then, a woman was frightened to death by something she never saw, something she only heard, whispering malign words of evil...

Sounds similar to The Mystery of the Grip of Death..

The Jacques Futrelle plethora of short stories is pretty good, some better than others.
dreab trawets

Postby raasnio » Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:28 am

Mbwun wrote:It sounds like these books are really quite good. Too bad I probably won't ever be able to read any of them. They all seem to be out of print, and unable to be ordered through a book store. And I've never seen any of them show up used anywhere.

Not even the library has any of them.

:?

I ordered about 30 of his novels off of eBay. I can check to see if I have any doubles. It's a possibility, anyway.

I do know that Amazon has a couple.
The most merciful thing in the world... is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. - H. P. Lovecraft
raasnio
techno-guru / co-administrator

Postby PohlSE » Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:28 am

Barnes and Noble is selling some reprints: Here
PohlSE
Webmaster

Postby Mbwun » Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:44 pm

I don't purchase things online, so amazon and Barnes and Noble aren't really much help.

I couldn't afford to pay you much for them if you did have doubles raasnio.

But thanks guys!

My only real hope is if they turn up used here somewhere.
Make no mistake, this is a Supercar. Looks good .. goes fast .. nothing else matters. - Jeremy Clarkson

AMBITIOUS, BUT RUBBISH!
Mbwun

Postby dreab trawets » Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:14 pm

Finished the short stories..
quite impressed with some of them, nice sleight of hands, nice ideas as well.

So on with the final one
The Hangman's Handyman.. by Hake Talbot.
dreab trawets

Postby Slade » Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:18 pm

Mbwun,

Start with THE THREE COFFINS (THE HOLLOW MAN). Have your local library bring it in on loan from the Vancouver Public Library:

http://vpl.bibliocommons.com/item/show/ ... cked_rooms

Slade
Slade

Postby raasnio » Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:10 am

Mbwun wrote:I don't purchase things online, so amazon and Barnes and Noble aren't really much help.

I couldn't afford to pay you much for them if you did have doubles raasnio.

But thanks guys!

My only real hope is if they turn up used here somewhere.

I have an extra copy of The Four False Weapons. If you PM me your address I will send it to you.
The most merciful thing in the world... is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. - H. P. Lovecraft
raasnio
techno-guru / co-administrator

Postby Mbwun » Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:52 pm

Strangely enough, I walked into a local used book store yesterday, and they had six of his novels in stock, including THE FOUR FALSE WEAPONS. First time I've ever seen any of his novels show up used anywhere. I got:

The Four False Weapons
The Devil In Velvet
Most Secret
The Witch of the Low Tide
To Wake The Dead
The Mad Hatter Mystery

AMBITIOUS, BUT RUBBISH!
Mbwun

PreviousNext

Return to Multi-Media