[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
• View topic - John Dickson Carr

John Dickson Carr

Sladists are media maniacs...I mean lovers. Movies, Books, Music & Sports are all here.

Postby Slade » Thu Apr 10, 2008 4:49 pm

raasnio & MM,

In being puzzled and tricked by Carr, you're in good company:

"Very few detective stories baffle me nowadays, but Mr. Carr's always do." Agatha Christie.

Slade
Slade

Postby raasnio » Fri Apr 11, 2008 1:21 am

raasnio
techno-guru / co-administrator

Postby raasnio » Sun Apr 13, 2008 6:19 pm

raasnio

Postby MarylandManson » Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:11 pm

MarylandManson
co-administrator

Postby raasnio » Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:36 pm

Good one, MM! :twisted:

Here are the books I newly acquired and received today:

1. THE DEAD SLEEP LIGHTLY

2. THE ARABIAN NIGHTS MURDER

3. BEHIND THE CRIMSON BLIND

4. BELOW SUSPICION

5. THE BLIND BARBER

6. THE BOWSTRING MURDERS

7. CAPTAIN CUT-THROAT

8. CASTLE SKULL

9. THE CORPSE IN THE WAX WORKS

10. THE CROOKED HINGE

11. THE CURSE OF THE BRONZE LAMP

12. DARK OF THE MOON

13. THE DEAD MAN’S KNOCK

14. DEATH-WATCH

15. THE DEMONIACS

16. THE DEVIL IN VELVET

17. THE EIGHT OF SWORDS

18. FIRE BURN

19. THE FOUR FALSE WEAPONS

20. THE HOUSE AT SATAN’S ELBOW

21. IT WALKS BY NIGHT

22. THE LOST GALLOWS

23. THE MAD HATTER MYSTERY

24. THE MAN WHO COULD NOT SHUDDER

25. THE MEN WHO EXPLAINED MIRACLES

26. THE NINE WRONG ANSWERS

27. PANIC IN BOX C

28. PATRICK BUTLER FOR THE DEFENSE

29. POISON IN JEST

30. THE PROBLEM OF THE GREEN CAPSULE

31. THE PROBLEM OF THE WIRE CAGE

32. THE SLEEPING SPHINX

33. THE THIRD BULLET

34. TILL DEATH DO US PART

35. TO WAKE THE DEAD

36. THE WITCH OF THE LOW TIDE
raasnio

Postby Slade » Sat Apr 19, 2008 12:08 am

raasnio,

It appears that Carr - through the line that is me - has put the hook firmly through your cheek.

In 1946, JDC wrote an essay called "The Grandest Game in the World" to introduce his selection of THE TEN BEST DETECTIVE NOVELS (unpublished because he couldn't clear the rights to three).

It begins:

"Do you solemnly swear never to conceal a vital clue from the reader?"

"I do."

A few paragraphs down, he writes:

"If the term means anything at all, it means this:

"The detective story is a conflict between criminal and detective in which the criminal, by means of some ingenious device - alibi, novel murder-method, or what you like - remains unconvicted or even unsuspected until the detective reveals his identity by means of evidence which has also been conveyed to the reader."

In CRUCIFIED - probably more so than in any other Slade novel - you'll see the huge influence of JDC on me.

As you and MM have discovered, Carr has a ticklish sense of humor. In recalling "Grandest Game" 17 years later, he wrote:

"I well remember when and how the above outburst was written. It was written in London during the cold and gusty spring of 1946, and in my flat on Haverstock Hill. Despite an acute housing shortage, I had obtained that flat for reasons quite apart from my Scottish luck. When I moved into it in 1943, Adolf Hitler still walked the earth. He had yet to unleash the Little Blitz, the flying bombs, the rockets, and other drolleries from his inexhaustible sense of humor. But we were all expecting something of the sort. And nobody except your obedient servant was stupid enough to want a flat on the top floor."

As you work your way through that treasure-trove, check the copyright dates for those between 1943 and 1945, and imagine Carr tapping away in the midst of all that, wondering if - buzzzzzz - the plot and page of the novel he was currently writing would end li

Slade
Slade

Postby Judy » Sat Apr 19, 2008 2:02 am

rassnio . . . . I think I have you beat in the total number of books of his that I have recently unearthed and bought . . . I think I have 42 all together. But you have a few that I don't - and I have a few that you don't. I definitely need to retire just so I can get caught up on my reading :shock: :lol:
Judy

Postby raasnio » Sat Apr 19, 2008 2:26 am

raasnio

Postby raasnio » Sat Apr 19, 2008 2:29 am

raasnio

Postby MarylandManson » Sat Apr 19, 2008 10:03 pm

MarylandManson
co-administrator

Postby Slade » Sat Apr 19, 2008 10:29 pm

So aren't you going to ask me, "What were Carr's TEN BEST?"

A. Conan Doyle's THE VALLEY OF FEAR. (Interesting, eh? Not THE HOUND OF THE BASKERVILLES.)

Agatha Christie's DEATH ON THE NILE. (Not AND THEN THERE WERE NONE or THE MURDER OF ROGER ACKROYD.)

And from Ellery Queen?

Slade
Slade

Postby raasnio » Sat Apr 19, 2008 10:36 pm

raasnio

Postby Slade » Sat Apr 19, 2008 10:52 pm

Slade

Postby MarylandManson » Sat Apr 19, 2008 11:57 pm

MarylandManson
co-administrator

Postby Slade » Sun Apr 20, 2008 12:24 am

raasnio and MM,

By So aren't you going to ask me, "What were Carr's TEN BEST?", I was referring to this: In 1946, JDC wrote an essay called "The Grandest Game in the World" to introduce his selection of THE TEN BEST DETECTIVE NOVELS (unpublished because he couldn't clear the rights to three).

The TEN BEST refers to other writers' novels.

For Carr's ten best, your list is as good as any, MM.

Slade
Slade

PreviousNext

Return to Multi-Media