[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
• View topic - John Dickson Carr

John Dickson Carr

Sladists are media maniacs...I mean lovers. Movies, Books, Music & Sports are all here.

Postby Judy » Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:22 am

Well I've been busy last wk. and this in running down JDC's books . . . so far I've managed to win a bundle of 10 off of eBay and ordered others from various vendors over the internet.

Castle Skull
The Blind Barber
The Three Coffins
The Crooked Hinge
To Wake the Dead
The Problem of the Green Capsule
The Man Who Could Not Shudder
The Case of the Constant Suicides
The Sleeping Sphinx
House at Satan's Elbow
Merrivale, March & Murder (a coll. of short stories)
The Bride of Newgate
The Burning Court
Fire, Burn
Most Secret
Patrick Butler for the Defense
The Devil in Velvet

Plus I've found copies of the 2 biographies from Greene and S.T. Joshi (and purchased them) and I also discovered Rue Morgue Press in CO that is republishing out-of-print mystery writers from the '40s & '50s. They will bringing out a new edition of "The Judas Window" soon.

http://www.ruemorguepress.com

So it seems I have my reading agenda set out for the summer and beyond. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Judy

Postby Judy » Wed Mar 05, 2008 3:13 am

Judy

Postby MarylandManson » Sun Mar 09, 2008 9:11 pm

MarylandManson
co-administrator

Postby steelclaw32 » Sun Mar 09, 2008 10:26 pm

steelclaw32
There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy. Hamlet: Act 1, Scene 5.
steelclaw32

Postby MarylandManson » Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:40 am

MarylandManson
co-administrator

Postby steelclaw32 » Mon Mar 10, 2008 1:50 am

steelclaw32
steelclaw32

Postby Bombz Away » Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:57 am

Bombz Away

Postby steelclaw32 » Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:08 pm

Too Right mate.! :lol:

God! I miss these : http://www.thesweeney.info/

They'd teach those bloody i-ties lot, a thing or two about girls in tight jeans eh.?! :lol: :lol: :lol:
steelclaw32
steelclaw32

Postby raasnio » Mon Apr 07, 2008 1:52 am

raasnio
techno-guru / co-administrator

Postby MarylandManson » Wed Apr 09, 2008 12:18 am

Interesting, raasnio. I'm often aware of The Narrator as a "character," and Carr is a good example. In this model, the characters (proper) are separate from The Narrator, IMO.

Is TILL DEATH DO US PART the only Fell you've read so far? I found Fell a bit less vibrant in that one. Although he's supposedly based on G.K. Chesterton, it would be interesting to ponder how much of Carr the narrator is in Fell.

Certainly the "fourth wall" (fourth page?) aspect you mentioned is at play in THE THREE COFFINS (it's not a spoiler if you haven't read it yet):

"Because," said the doctor, frankly, "we're in a detective story, and we don't fool the reader by pretending we're not. Let's not invent elaborate excuses to drag in a discussion of detective stories. Let's candidly glory in the noblest pursuits possible to characters in a book."

Cheers! MM
MarylandManson
co-administrator

Postby raasnio » Wed Apr 09, 2008 12:41 am

I believe I've read 4 novels with Fell thus far.
raasnio

Postby MarylandManson » Wed Apr 09, 2008 1:05 pm

raasnio,

Fell is by far my favorite character, and it's no surprise that Carr wrote so many Fell mysteries. Of those, I've read:

Hag's Nook
The Mad Hatter Mystery
The Three Coffins
The Crooked Hinge
Till Death Do Us Part
He Who Whispers

I'd be hard pressed to pick a favorite among them, except for Till Death Do Us Part, which seems a weak outing for both Fell and Carr.

After Fell, I'd go for Henri Bencolin, although The Corpse in the Waxworks is the only one I've read. Bencolin sure fits the "Mephistophelean" description others have attributed to him.

After Bencolin, I like John Gaunt, perhaps an underdog based on Grobius Shortling's unfavorable comments about The Bowstring Murders, Gaunt's only appearance. I would have liked to have seen more of Gaunt, who had interesting whiffs of resignation and vigilantism to him.

Then there's Patrick Butler, who could be dismissed as a smug, arrogant bastard if not for the "painful past" alluded to in Patrick Butler for the Defence, as well as his Puck-ish sense of humor.

For whatever reason, I'm not too thrilled about Henry Merrivale (aka HM). In The Curse of the Bronze Lamp and Death In Five Boxes he's too condescending for my taste, especially when he calls a woman "my wench." There could well be in Carr's use of that phrase a bit of antiquarian fun, and one could also say that it's only jarring through the lens of time and subsequent social progress. PC considerations aside, however, HM strikes me as rude and self-absorbed, in stark contrast to the genuine good humour of Fell. If Carr was anything like his characters, I hope he was more like Fell than HM. Perhaps that's a question best left unanswered.

Finally, there's Gaudan Cross, who only somewhat qualifies as a "detective character," although The Burning Court ranks up there with Hag's Nook as a very creepy Carr novel. Cross' backstory is interesting, but the character himself is annoyingly arrogant.

Still to come, Dermot Kinross in The Emperor's Snuff-Box and Poison In Jest with Patrick Rossiter.

Cheers! MM
MarylandManson
co-administrator

Postby raasnio » Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:45 pm

I've read these with Fell:

The Three Coffins
The Crooked Hinge
Till Death Do Us Part

I've read one thus far with Bencolin:

The Four False Weapons

And one with Dermot Kinross:

The Emperor's Snuff Box

I've enjoyed all of these quite a bit. I'm always looking to get more but haven't had much luck thus far. I will keep trying, though.
raasnio

Postby MarylandManson » Thu Apr 10, 2008 1:16 am

MarylandManson
co-administrator

Postby raasnio » Thu Apr 10, 2008 2:40 am

raasnio

PreviousNext

Return to Multi-Media