Weird fact of the day....

Polls, funny pictures, jokes, must-see websites, personal announcements, you name it...

Weird fact of the day....

Postby dreab trawets » Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:10 pm

Think it is about time we had a weird fact topic.
Anything goes, as long as it is weird, and not well known.... And if it is wrong you can enlighten us. unlike WIKIPEDIA.
SLADERIA is born

The avocado gets its name from the Aztec word for the fruit, AHUACATI, meaning testicle.
“After my head has been chopped off, will I still be able to hear, at least for a moment , the sound of my own blood gushing from my neck? That would be the best pleasure to end all pleasure. “
dreab trawets

Location: like someone had combined shrimp and tomato soup and then forgot to put the lid on the blender

Postby Hydebound » Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:08 pm

There are more bones in the head of a baby than in the head of an adult.

(Great idea for a thread, mate. I'm proud to be your first participant.)
Hydebound

Postby steelclaw32 » Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:39 pm

Or how about a Slade-ism Slade-sic / istic.?
steelclaw32
There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy. Hamlet: Act 1, Scene 5.
steelclaw32

Postby dreab trawets » Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:33 pm

SLADERIA does sound very bad.
SPECIALX- SPECIALS
FACTOIDS
FACTORIUM
I have no idea....
Yours sound excellent, but titles are the bread of the sandwich, what's inside is what you like...
“After my head has been chopped off, will I still be able to hear, at least for a moment , the sound of my own blood gushing from my neck? That would be the best pleasure to end all pleasure. “
dreab trawets

Location: like someone had combined shrimp and tomato soup and then forgot to put the lid on the blender

Postby dreab trawets » Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:05 am

Can some one check this.....

2nd July (not the 4th) marks the date on which the American Congress first (unanimously, but secretly) voted for independence from Great Britain. The declaration was reworded and the same twelve colonies voted for adoption of the final text on 4th July. New York State abstained from both votes.
dreab trawets

Postby krista in ma » Thu Dec 11, 2008 3:23 am

dreab trawets wrote:Can some one check this.....

2nd July (not the 4th) marks the date on which the American Congress first (unanimously, but secretly) voted for independence from Great Britain. The declaration was reworded and the same twelve colonies voted for adoption of the final text on 4th July. New York State abstained from both votes.

According to my sources (where else but http://www.thedeclarationofindependence.org/ ?), you are correct.

"Thus all 12 colonies voted on July 2nd and adopted the resolution, introduced by Richard Henry Lee and John Adams, declaring independence from Great Britain...... The debates of July 3rd and 4th altered the manuscript and with these changes the Declaration of Independence was approved......Late in the afternoon on July 4th, 1776 twelve of the thirteen colonies an reached agreement to formally proclaim themselves as free and independent nations. Only New York was the lone holdout and it was due to the fact the Delegates were not granted the authority to vote yea or nay on Independence, Never-the-less, Richard Henry Lee's resolution of July 2nd was the birth certificate of the United States but the July 4th Declaration of Independence was the baby."
~ Spc. Byron W. Fouty, MI ~ Staff Sgt. Alex R. Jimenez, MA ~
They have served our nation; together they are home.
~ Staff Sgt. Keith Matthew Maupin ~
An American Son Returns Home
krista in ma

Postby Hydebound » Thu Dec 11, 2008 4:16 am

The U.S. government considered closing the Patent Office in the late 19th Century, as some believed that everything had already been invented.
Hydebound

Postby dreab trawets » Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:12 pm

Thank you Krista, and welcome back.../
We all have four nostrils, two in our nose, and two in the back of the throat where they have evolved to since we came out of the oceans.
dreab trawets

Postby EZ Rhino » Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:53 pm

Whut? 4 nostrils???
I wish the media would report more on public service and charity news instead of gossip. It is of much greater value. - Jackie Chan
EZ Rhino

Postby dreab trawets » Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:00 am

YES....
The why, and how

Fish have 4 'nostrils', two for sucking water in, and two for pushing water out after taking the oxygen out of it.
They are called CHOANNAE Greek for funnels. These connect to the throat, and are what allow us to breathe through our noses.
They migrated through our teeth, hence in the early stages of the human embryo. When they fail to join up it is called cleft pallet.
Check out a fossil called Kenichthys Campbelli. They have has two nostrils like holes between their front teeth.
dreab trawets

Postby Hydebound » Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:19 am

A flea can pull 160,000 times its own weight.
Hydebound

Postby steelclaw32 » Fri Dec 12, 2008 8:49 am

Babies eyes do not produce tears until the baby is approximately six to eight weeks old.

And an ewww factor: Duracell, the battery-maker, built parts of its new international headquarters using materials from its own waste.

So that's why my MP3player conked out on me while listening to an audio book. Feck it, now I know.Ughhhh.!

Leather skin does not have any smell. The leather smell that you sense is actually derived from the materials used in the tanning process.

"Dreamt" is the only English word that ends in the letters "mt"!

Infants spend more time dreaming than adults do.

A cockroach can live several weeks with its head cut off - it dies from starvation! Poor old Yorick then.! (Act 5, Scene 1, of Shakespeare 's Hamlet)
steelclaw32
There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy. Hamlet: Act 1, Scene 5.
steelclaw32

Postby PohlSE » Fri Dec 12, 2008 7:50 pm

The average human eats 8 spiders in their lifetime at night.

If you yelled for 8 years, 7 months and 6 days, you would have produced enough sound energy to heat one cup of coffee. If you fart consistently for 6 years and 9 months, enough gas is produced to create the energy of an atomic bomb.

In England, the Speaker of the House is not allowed to speak.

TYPEWRITER, is the longest word that can be made using the letters on only one row of the keyboard.

If the population of China walked past you in single file, the line would never end because of the rate of reproduction
PohlSE
Webmaster

Postby dreab trawets » Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:34 pm

We are getting some great facts here, things I classify as Things you didn't know you didn't know...

I give you the driest place on earth.....

In some valleys in the interior, they have not seen rain or moisture for about 2 million years, but by the same measure it is also the wettest place on earth....

http://www.flex.net/~lonestar/coldest.htm
dreab trawets

Postby Hydebound » Sat Dec 13, 2008 12:46 am

The Earth is home to approximately 1,000,000 identified animal species; 85% of them are insects.
Hydebound

Next

Return to Random Notes