Weird fact of the day....

Polls, funny pictures, jokes, must-see websites, personal announcements, you name it...

Postby GINGER » Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:25 am

Facts about the Jesse Owens Olympics..

The facts are simple. Hitler did not congratulate Owens, but that day he didn’t congratulate anybody else either — not even the German winners. As a matter of fact, Hitler didn’t congratulate anyone after the first day of the competition. That first day he had shaken hands with all the German victors, but that had gotten him in trouble with the members of the Olympic Committee. They told him that to maintain Olympic neutrality, he would have to congratulate everyone or no one. Hitler chose to honor no one.

"Hitler had a certain time to come to the stadium and a certain time to leave". "It happened he had to leave before the victory ceremony after the 100 meters. But before he left I was on my way to a broadcast and passed near his box. He waved at me and I waved back. I think it was 'bad taste' to criticize the man of the hour in another country" - Jesse Owens

And Owens was actually more offended by Franklin D. Roosevelt than Hitler,

"Hitler didn't snub me – it was FDR who snubbed me. The president didn't even send me a telegram." - Jesse Owens

It was reported that Hitler sent Owens a commemorative inscribed cabinet photograph of himself. Jesse Owens was never invited to the White House nor were honors bestowed upon him by president Franklin D. Roosevelt (FDR) or his successor Harry S. Truman.

Oh the happy days of early america..
One side of me says I would like to talk to her, date her. The other side of me says I wonder how her head would look on a stick (Edmund Kemper)
GINGER

Location: Everybody needs a little madness, or you would never cut the rope and become free.

Postby dreab trawets » Sat Sep 24, 2011 1:57 am

“After my head has been chopped off, will I still be able to hear, at least for a moment , the sound of my own blood gushing from my neck? That would be the best pleasure to end all pleasure. “
dreab trawets

Location: like someone had combined shrimp and tomato soup and then forgot to put the lid on the blender

Postby GINGER » Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:01 pm

Pop singer Johnny Mathis has played the White House on a number of occasions. He has in fact sung for six presidents - Richard Nixon, Gerald Ford, Jimmy Carter, Ronald Reagan, George Bush senior and Bill Clinton.
One side of me says I would like to talk to her, date her. The other side of me says I wonder how her head would look on a stick (Edmund Kemper)
GINGER

Location: Everybody needs a little madness, or you would never cut the rope and become free.

Postby Baidhnobas » Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:47 pm

The femur may be hard as cement, but it can be broken by the tine of an elk antler.

[Note: this is based on anecdotal evidence that was not entirely clear on how the leg was broken, but it is still food for thought.]
Immorality I know. Immortality I cannot judge.
Baidhnobas

Location: Lost. After a while one circle of Hell looks pretty much like another.

Postby Baidhnobas » Fri Oct 21, 2011 1:34 am

The House on the Rock:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/House_on_the_Rock

It's very much a fact, and it's weird.
Baidhnobas

Location: Lost. After a while one circle of Hell looks pretty much like another.

Postby Baidhnobas » Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:00 am

Sudoku is not a Japanese game, but a Swiss one.

Play-Doh was originally sold as wall-paper cleaner.

The Frisbee was invented by children from Connecticut throwing pie plates from the Frisbie Pie Company.

Skipping ropes are claimed to have been invented in ancient Egypt, China, and Australia.

(It's game month at the local museum. What can I say?)
Baidhnobas

Re: Weird fact of the day....

Postby EZ Rhino » Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:40 pm

What? British tots don't eat cake at birthday parties but bring it home wrapped in a napkin instead? Bloody hell!

http://www.expatmumsblog.com/2009/01/this-takes-the-cake.html
I wish the media would report more on public service and charity news instead of gossip. It is of much greater value. - Jackie Chan
EZ Rhino

Postby krista in ma » Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:41 am

EZ Rhino wrote:What? British tots don't eat cake at birthday parties but bring it home wrapped in a napkin instead? Bloody hell!

http://www.expatmumsblog.com/2009/01/this-takes-the-cake.html

That was the best part about going to birthday parties as a child.... cutting and eating the cake, and hoping not to get sick on the way home. :mrgreen:

On a different note..... I find it funny that nowadays some kids parties seem to be such huge events. Growing up, parties were almost always at your house. The "fancy" ones were either at bowling ally's or in the "party" rooms at....

McDonald's, Burger King, or Papa Gino's. :lollol:
~ Spc. Byron W. Fouty, MI ~ Staff Sgt. Alex R. Jimenez, MA ~
They have served our nation; together they are home.
~ Staff Sgt. Keith Matthew Maupin ~
An American Son Returns Home
krista in ma

Postby Mbwun » Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:20 pm

Not to mention that these days you're expected to send home a goodie package with the attendees that's probably worth as much as the present they brought.

When I was a kid, you sent them home with a tiny brown paper baggee that contained a few candies, and a really cheap little plastic toy. And if they happened to win one of the stupid little party games, they went home with another cheap little plastic toy.
How hard can it be? - Jeremy Clarkson
Make no mistake, this is a Supercar. Looks good .. goes fast .. nothing else matters. - Jeremy Clarkson

AMBITIOUS, BUT RUBBISH!
Mbwun

Postby krista in ma » Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:18 pm

Mbwu[quote="Mbwun wrote:When I was a kid, you sent them home with a tiny brown paper baggee that contained a few candies, and a really cheap little plastic toy. And if they happened to win one of the stupid little party games, they went home with another cheap little plastic toy.

Many a cool pencil and eraser were added to my collections from those brown paper baggees :lol:
~ Spc. Byron W. Fouty, MI ~ Staff Sgt. Alex R. Jimenez, MA ~
They have served our nation; together they are home.
~ Staff Sgt. Keith Matthew Maupin ~
An American Son Returns Home
krista in ma

Postby dreab trawets » Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:26 am

Ejaculation

Watson ‘ejaculates’ twice as often as Sherlock Holmes in Conan Doyle’s stories.
There are 23 ejaculations in total, with 11 belonging to Watson.
On one occasion, Holmes refers to Watson’s ‘ejaculations of wonder’ being invaluable; on another, Watson ejaculates ‘from his very heart’ in the direction of his fiancée.

Holmes is only responsible for six ejaculations.
A chap called Phelps ejaculated three times during the story of The Naval Treaty.

The only other ejaculator is Mrs St Clair’s husband, who ejaculates at her from a second-floor window.

Ejaculation..

OLD-FASHIONED a sudden loud remark or shout
“After my head has been chopped off, will I still be able to hear, at least for a moment , the sound of my own blood gushing from my neck? That would be the best pleasure to end all pleasure. “
dreab trawets

Location: like someone had combined shrimp and tomato soup and then forgot to put the lid on the blender

Postby Judy » Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:05 am

:lollol: :lollol: :lollol: :lollol: :lollol:
Hmmmm, I wonder which words will be changed in this century???
An archaeologist is the best husband any woman can have: the older she gets, the more interested he is in her.
Agatha Christie
Judy

Postby Mbwun » Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:00 pm

Not a weird fact but ...

'' BANANAS...''

A very interesting FACTS

Never, put your banana in the refrigerator!!!...
This is interesting. After reading this, you'll never look at a banana in the same way again.

Bananas contain three natural sugars - sucrose, fructose and glucose combined with fiber. A banana gives an instant, sustained and substantial boost of energy.

Research has proven that just two bananas provide enough energy for a strenuous 90-minute workout. No wonder the banana is the number one fruit with the world's leading athletes.

But energy isn't the only way a banana can help us keep fit. It can also help overcome or prevent a substantial number of illnesses and conditions, making it a must to add to our daily diet.

DEPRESSION:
According to a recent survey undertaken by MIND amongst people suffering from depression, many felt much better after eating a banana. This is because bananas contain tryptophan, a type of protein that the body converts into serotonin, known to make you relax, improve your mood and generally make you feel happier.

PMS:
Forget the pills - eat a banana. The vitamin B6 it contains regulates blood glucose levels, which can affect your mood.

ANEMIA:
High in iron, bananas can stimulate the production of hemoglobin in the blood and so helps in cases of anemia.

BLOOD PRESSURE:
This unique tropical fruit is extremely high in potassium yet low in salt, making it perfect to beat blood pressure So much so, the US Food and Drug Administration has just allowed the banana industry to make official claims for the fruit's ability to reduce the risk of blood pressure and stroke.

BRAIN POWER:
200 students at a Twickenham (Middlesex) school ( England ) were helped through their exams this year by eating bananas at breakfast, break, and lunch in a bid to boost their brain power. Research has shown that the potassium-packed fruit can assist learning by making pupils more alert.

CONSTIPATION:
High in fiber, including bananas in the diet can help restore normal bowel action, helping to overcome the problem without resorting to laxatives.

HANGOVERS:
One of the quickest ways of curing a hangover is to make a banana milkshake, sweetened with honey. The banana calms the stomach and, with the help of the honey, builds up depleted blood sugar levels, while the milk soothes and re-hydrates your system.

HEARTBURN:
Bananas have a natural antacid effect in the body, so if you suffer from heartburn, try eating a banana for soothing relief.

MORNING SICKNESS:
Snacking on bananas between meals helps to keep blood sugar levels up and avoid morning sickness.

MOSQUITO BITES:
Before reaching for the insect bite cream, try rubbing the affected area with the inside of a banana skin. Many people find it amazingly successful at reducing swelling and irritation.

NERVES:
Bananas are high in B vitamins that help calm the nervous system..

Overweight and at work? Studies at the Institute of Psychology in Austria found pressure at work leads to gorging on comfort food like chocolate and chips. Looking at 5,000 hospital patients, researchers found the most obese were more likely to be in high-pressure jobs. The report concluded that, to avoid panic-induced food cravings, we need to control our blood sugar levels by snacking on high carbohydrate foods every two hours to keep levels steady.

ULCERS:
The banana is used as the dietary food against intestinal disorders because of its soft texture and smoothness. It is the only raw fruit that can be eaten without distress in over-chronicler cases. It also neutralizes over-acidity and reduces irritation by coating the lining of the stomach.

TEMPERATURE CONTROL:
Many other cultures see bananas as a 'cooling' fruit that can lower both the physical and emotional temperature of expectant mothers. In Thailand , for example, pregnant women eat bananas to ensure their baby is born with a cool temperature.

So, a banana really is a natural remedy for many ills. When you compare it to an apple, it has FOUR TIMES the protein, TWICE the carbohydrate, THREE TIMES the phosphorus, five times the vitamin A and iron, and twice the other vitamins and minerals.. It is also rich in potassium and is one of the best value foods around So maybe its time to change that well-known phrase so that we say, 'A BANANA a day keeps the doctor away!'

PASS IT ON TO YOUR FRIENDS...
PS: Bananas must be the reason monkeys are so happy all the time! I will add one here; want a quick shine on our shoes?? Take the INSIDE of the banana skin, and rub directly on the shoe...polish with dry cloth. Amazing fruit !!!
Make no mistake, this is a Supercar. Looks good .. goes fast .. nothing else matters. - Jeremy Clarkson

AMBITIOUS, BUT RUBBISH!
Mbwun

Postby EZ Rhino » Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:51 am

So one of Canada's national personfications is the comedy duo of....Bob and Doug Mackenzie??

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_personification
I wish the media would report more on public service and charity news instead of gossip. It is of much greater value. - Jackie Chan
EZ Rhino

Postby Mbwun » Sun Jul 21, 2013 4:10 pm

The Chinese version of the vampire is really quite bizarre:

( 僵尸;: 僵屍 or 殭屍;: jiāngshī; literally "stiff corpse"), sometimes called "Chinese vampires" by Westerners, are corpses that are usually reanimated due to magical reasons. In ancient China, people always had the preference of being buried in their hometowns, and when a person dies in a land that is not their hometown, their family members hire a sorcerer to bring back their deceased family member. The family commissions the sorcerer in their village to travel to the place of the person's death, locate the corpse, and to write a spell and stick it upon the corpses's face, in which the spell-paper contains their name, birthdate, and some other words to reanimate the corpse. Once the paper is stuck upon the corpses's face, the newly created Jiang Shi would follow the sorcerer by hopping around, in which the sorcerer would lead it back to its hometown for burial (this was often a last-resort choice used by families with not enough money to hire a cart to carry the corpse back). Usually, the sorcerer would travel by night, and would at least have around three Jiang shiatraveling with it. But when the written spell-paper falls or is pulled off of the Jiang Shi (in the case the sorcerer is not paid the agreed amount for his doings, he might rip off the Jiang Shi's spell-paper), it gains its own consciousness, and all the power that the sorcerer formerly had over it would be lost. Instead of being an obedient corpse that followed the sorcerer, the Jiang Shi would be rampant and dangerous. The freed Jiang Shi would begin killing living creatures to absorb life essence from their victims. They are said to be created when a person's soul (魄pò) fails to leave the deceased's body. Some unusual features of the Chinese vampire include its long, curved fingernails, perhaps derived from the appearance of growing fingernails on corpses due to flesh recession, and its greenish-white furry skin, perhaps derived from or growing on corpses.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vampire_fo ... egion#Asia

AMBITIOUS, BUT RUBBISH!
Mbwun

PreviousNext

Return to Random Notes