R.I.P. steelclaw32

Polls, funny pictures, jokes, must-see websites, personal announcements, you name it...

Postby SickThing » Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:58 am

Mbwun wrote:He's been gone an entire third of a year now. I wonder if I'll ever stop the counting of time since he left us? I know we haven't stopped counting the years since we lost my sister - she's been gone 7 years as of last March 16.

Colm says that he's just stepped outside for a smoke. Does it ever start to really feel real?

Come June 21, it will have been 33 years since my sister was killed in a bike/truck accident. You never stop counting the years, but it does get a little easier with time.

Hunter
SickThing

Postby Mbwun » Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:16 pm

SickThing

I've seen your posts about her on Facebook, and was wondering what took her life. It must have been hard on your parents - my sister was 46 when she died of Hep C complications. Her death wasn't completely unexpected as we'd known for years that she probably wasn't going to live to an old age once she'd been diagnosed, but it still took a great deal out of my parents.
How hard can it be? - Jeremy Clarkson
Make no mistake, this is a Supercar. Looks good .. goes fast .. nothing else matters. - Jeremy Clarkson

AMBITIOUS, BUT RUBBISH!
Mbwun

Postby SickThing » Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:50 pm

Mbwun wrote:I've seen your posts about her on Facebook, and was wondering what took her life. It must have been hard on your parents - my sister was 46 when she died of Hep C complications. Her death wasn't completely unexpected as we'd known for years that she probably wasn't going to live to an old age once she'd been diagnosed, but it still took a great deal out of my parents.

Whether age 11 or 46, it's almost impossible for the parents. My parents had been divorced for 6 years by the time it happened, and I don't know (or care) much about my dad was affected. But it took many, many years for some semblance of normalcy to come back into my mom's life.

I'm sorry to hear about your sister. I lost a very good friend several years ago to the same thing (complications from Hepatitis C).

Hunter
SickThing

Postby Mbwun » Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:22 pm

Sorry to hear about your friend. Watching the way my sister suffered in the end, it's a death you wouldn't wish on your worst enemy.

As for Simon, I remember him mentioning liking Colin Dexter's Inspector Morse several times in conversation. They've started airing the series on a station here in BC on Sunday evenings, and every time I hear the theme music at the end, it reminds me of Simon. Puts me into a rather melancholy mood to end my Sunday evenings.

And seeing as Simon had a thing for classical music, I think it's only fitting that the theme be his, as well:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zM1HiGuV ... annel_page

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKsmF3DN ... re=related

editted to add:

I fixed the link, as it would seem the person who uploaded the link I had posted has taken it down.
Last edited by Mbwun on Tue Apr 28, 2009 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Make no mistake, this is a Supercar. Looks good .. goes fast .. nothing else matters. - Jeremy Clarkson

AMBITIOUS, BUT RUBBISH!
Mbwun

Postby Mbwun » Tue Apr 28, 2009 6:25 pm

I was thinking after posting the above, at how fitting is is that I dedicate a tv theme song to Simon, as it was his TV Themes thread from the now lost to the ethernet Cobalt message board that brought us together in the first place:

He had started this thread dedicated to tv theme music, and the two of us spent an entire afternoon bouncing all manner of favourites off one another's posts. A day or so later I received a PM from him, commenting on how we seemed to "connect" in some fashion on that thread. We continued to PM each other for a few days, and then I gave him my e-mail address so we could bypass the board and communicate directly.

Who would have ever thought that the friendship we shared for the past four years would have had its Genesis on a thread dedicated to discussing the music written for television shows?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82L8AaqA-Dc

AMBITIOUS, BUT RUBBISH!
Mbwun

Postby Mbwun » Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:43 pm

It's been six months today since we lost him.

I've been reading through the log of the MSN Messenger conversations we had, and found a hilarious conversation where I'd sent him a picture of the Roman Shade I sewed for mom's laundry room window, and how he said it reminded me of this deck chair that his mom had. I guess you'd have to read the whole conversation to understand what was so funny about it, but take it from me, it was quite amusing.

I still miss him so much it hurts.

AMBITIOUS, BUT RUBBISH!
Mbwun

Postby Mbwun » Sat Jun 26, 2010 7:25 pm

18 months now since he left us, and it would seem that my fears regarding what would eventually happen to this board after his death have been pretty much realized. Things seem all but completely dead here as of the past while.

Colm was right about him sucking the breath out of a room when he left it.

AMBITIOUS, BUT RUBBISH!
Mbwun

Postby Mbwun » Fri Dec 24, 2010 10:49 pm

Sunday will mark two years since Simon left us. I still think of him each and every day. I often wonder what he would make of that?

Remembrance

Remembrance is a golden chain
Death tries to break,
but all in vain.
To have, to love, and then to part
Is the greatest sorrow of one's heart.
The years may wipe out many things
But some they wipe out never.
Like memories of those happy times
When we were all together.
~ Author Unknown

I still miss you a great deal, Mr. MacMahon.

AMBITIOUS, BUT RUBBISH!
Mbwun

Postby Mbwun » Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:39 pm

I was wondering when it would arrive ... the melancholy that has set in at this time of year, ever since we lost him. I guess today is the day.

AMBITIOUS, BUT RUBBISH!
Mbwun

Postby krista in ma » Sat Nov 19, 2011 3:25 am

Mbwun,

I was thinking about steelclaw the other day. I came across a TV show theme song quiz and remembered how he enjoyed those threads that popped up every now and then :)
~ Spc. Byron W. Fouty, MI ~ Staff Sgt. Alex R. Jimenez, MA ~
They have served our nation; together they are home.
~ Staff Sgt. Keith Matthew Maupin ~
An American Son Returns Home
krista in ma

Postby Mbwun » Sun Nov 20, 2011 4:53 am

It was the interaction between the two of us on a TV Themes thread he started that got the ball rolling on whatever you want to call what we had - relationshipwise - online.

We spend the whole of one afternoon and evening lobbing the ball back and forth in that thread. Lots of fun! :D

AMBITIOUS, BUT RUBBISH!
Mbwun

Postby Mbwun » Mon Dec 26, 2011 5:05 pm

Three years gone now. Where has the time gone?

Can't help but wonder how excited he would have been at some of the discoveries that have been made in the world of astronomy and archaeology since he left this mortal coil.

But I think he'd be rather sad at how little activity there is on this board now. His warm well lighted place isn't very warm or well lighted any more.

AMBITIOUS, BUT RUBBISH!
Mbwun

Postby krista in ma » Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:02 am

Mbwun wrote:Can't help but wonder how excited he would have been at some of the discoveries that have been made in the world of astronomy.....

I've never been one to go looking for pictures or artwork of stars / the universe, etc., but if I come across something in passing, it reminds me of how he would post them occasionally with such excitement.
~ Spc. Byron W. Fouty, MI ~ Staff Sgt. Alex R. Jimenez, MA ~
They have served our nation; together they are home.
~ Staff Sgt. Keith Matthew Maupin ~
An American Son Returns Home
krista in ma

Postby Mbwun » Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:44 pm

He loved astronomy, and he also really loved archaeology. To the point that he subscribed to several magazines about the two topics.

He also hung out a bit on message boards devoted to them.

His nephew seems to be doing so well in his broadcasting endeavors - I really wish he could be around to see it. He'd be so proud of him.

AMBITIOUS, BUT RUBBISH!
Mbwun

Postby jellybelly » Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:08 pm

I probably don't have the right to view or post on this topic as i didn't know him / her but i wanted to offer my condolences anyway.

I know it's not the same but me and my wife lost a child towards the end of last year, still haven't got over it to be honest even though we where told it's ok because it technically wasn't a life yet, sorry but WE considered it a life !!
jellybelly

PreviousNext

Return to Random Notes