Any Lovecraft Fans?

Polls, funny pictures, jokes, must-see websites, personal announcements, you name it...

Any Lovecraft Fans?

Postby e_taylor » Mon Apr 13, 2009 1:00 pm

I've been looking for some good pictures/ descriptions of the following book for a while and stumbled across these two just now.

http://entertheoctopus.wordpress.com/20 ... d_content/

http://www.johncoulthart.com/feuilleton ... rous-tome/

This art book is awesome. I own a different version than on these websites, but the descriptions hold true. One of my favourite books and I'm glad I can now share it with you folks!
We shall see that at which dogs howl in the dark, and that at which cats prick up their ears after midnight. - HP Lovecraft in From Beyond
e_taylor

Postby Mbwun » Mon Apr 13, 2009 4:34 pm

A pretty awesome price for that book too!

http://www.amazon.com/Lovecraft-Retrosp ... 123&sr=1-1

:shock: :shock: :shock:

I've never read any Lovecraft, but this Cthulhu Mythos thing sounds fascinating. Which books should I be looking for in order to read about it?

My friend Matt with the toy store has one of the SOTA Toys limited edition resin Cthulhus on display in one of the showcases in the section of the store that houses all his Darkside Collectibles merchandise. It's quite impressive, but at $250 it's a little out of my price range.
How hard can it be? - Jeremy Clarkson
Make no mistake, this is a Supercar. Looks good .. goes fast .. nothing else matters. - Jeremy Clarkson

AMBITIOUS, BUT RUBBISH!
Mbwun

Postby e_taylor » Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:34 pm

Mbwun -

Despite the ridiculous price, its an awesome book! That one there is the slipcased edition, the one I got my hands on was traycased and came with a porfolio of extra prints. Thankfully I didn't pay that much! Its so heavy though... its a good thing I enjoy massive books for some odd reason.

In regards to the Cthulhu Mythos... Lovecraft mainly wrote short stories, so his Cthulhu related stuff is mixed in all over the place. I'd just go to your library and see what they've got. A lot of his non-Cthulhu stuff is quite good too, so you can't go too far wrong!
We shall see that at which dogs howl in the dark, and that at which cats prick up their ears after midnight. - HP Lovecraft in From Beyond
e_taylor

Postby PohlSE » Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:42 pm

RATS IN THE WALLS is one of my favorites.
PohlSE
Webmaster

Postby Mbwun » Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:53 pm

I see.

It would seem the library system here has a very limited selection of his work - only 4 titles to be found, and most of them are out on loan.

We have this regional library, where there are numerous branches that share the same catalogue of titles. If the one you want is at a branch distant from where you are, you requisition it to be brought to a branch near you. Sometimes it can be a pain in the arse to get it when the person who currently has it keeps renewing their loan.

Guess I'll keep a look out for titles at the used book stores, and thrift stores around here ... but I haven't noticed his work showing up with any great frequency.
Make no mistake, this is a Supercar. Looks good .. goes fast .. nothing else matters. - Jeremy Clarkson

AMBITIOUS, BUT RUBBISH!
Mbwun

Postby raasnio » Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:20 pm

I'm a huge Lovecraft fan, but I'm guessing one would know that if only because of my avatar.
raasnio
techno-guru / co-administrator

Postby e_taylor » Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:46 pm

raasnio wrote:I'm a huge Lovecraft fan, but I'm guessing one would know that if only because of my avatar.

Ahh yes! One of my favourite Whelan paintings!
e_taylor

Postby Slade » Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:32 pm

Mbwun,

Be cautious (the library), or damn the torpedoes! But either way, you must read some Lovecraft. He is, undoubtedly, one of the world's great imaginations.

It'll cost you $15.72 CDN from Amazon, but you'll get 880 pages.

http://www.amazon.ca/Necronomicon-Best- ... 744&sr=1-1

Contents:

Night-Gaunts (poem)
Dagon
The Statement of Randolph Carter
The Doom That Came to Sarnath
The Cats of Ulthar
The Nameless City
Herbert West - Reanimator
The Music of Erich Zann
The Lurking Fear
The Hound
The Rats in the Walls
Under the Pyramids
The Unnamable
In the Vault
The Outsider
The Horror at Red Hook
The Colour Out of Space
Pickman's Model
The Call of Cthulhu
Cool Air
The Shunned House
The Silver Key
The Dunwich Horror
The Whisperer in Darkness
The Strange High House in the Mist
The Dreams in the Witch-House
From Beyond
Through the Gates of the Silver Key
At the Mountains of Madness
The Shadow Over Innsmouth
The Shadow Out of Time
The Haunter of the Dark
The Thing on the Doorstep
The Case of Charles Dexter Ward
The Dream-Quest of Unknown Kadath
To a Dreamer (poem)
Afterword: A Gentleman of Providence by Stephen Jones
Edited with an Afterword by Stephen Jones. Illustrated by Les Edwards.

Slade
Slade

Postby dreab trawets » Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:28 am

Thanks for the heads up, boss, have just bought it for 14.00 squid from Amazon.co.uk.
Thought of getting a new and used, but somethings just need to be mint.

Am going to start working my way through the sLADE books again, remind me which book had a lot of references (MORE THAN USUAL), to Lovecraft??
“After my head has been chopped off, will I still be able to hear, at least for a moment , the sound of my own blood gushing from my neck? That would be the best pleasure to end all pleasure. “
dreab trawets

Location: like someone had combined shrimp and tomato soup and then forgot to put the lid on the blender

Postby e_taylor » Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:32 pm

The library at school has all the original Arkham House 1st editions. I went to visit the special collections room they are housed in once, and it was quite disappointing to see them all gunked up with stickers and tape.... damn libraries!

But that omnibus that Slade posted certainly looks like the way to go. I might pic it up just to have everything in one place!
e_taylor

Postby Slade » Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:29 pm

d.t.,

It's GHOUL, the one you're reading.

Slade
Slade

Postby dreab trawets » Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:21 pm

Should have waited before posing the question. Still good after reading so many times.

Either blood on the blade, or s*** on the dick
HA HA
“After my head has been chopped off, will I still be able to hear, at least for a moment , the sound of my own blood gushing from my neck? That would be the best pleasure to end all pleasure. “
dreab trawets

Location: like someone had combined shrimp and tomato soup and then forgot to put the lid on the blender

Postby Mbwun » Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:06 pm

Thanks Slade.

But since I don't do any online purchasing, I guess I'll probably have to special order it from Chapters, or Black Bond Books for $24.95. If the reports I've heard that Chapters now tacks on shipping charges to special orders are true, I'll have to hope that Black Bond wants the business so badly they don't.

AMBITIOUS, BUT RUBBISH!
Mbwun

Postby dreab trawets » Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:04 pm

Got the book today, looks awesome. Pride of place on the shelf next door to Scarpetta hard backs, and Slade hardbacks.

Will save it for a dark and stormy night.
dreab trawets

Postby Vcela » Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:37 pm

Thirded (fourthded?)
Lovecraftian horror made up a large part of my teenage reading years. I had some various anthologies or read his short stories within other collections. I can remember sitting on a rock in the forest near my parent's cottage trying to sound out the language of the Old Ones.
Vcela

Next

Return to Random Notes