Favourite Recipes

Polls, funny pictures, jokes, must-see websites, personal announcements, you name it...

Postby Cawdorgraves » Sun Sep 25, 2005 3:31 am

thanks for the apple spice muffin recipe. I shall have to put it to the test and see if it is similar to the ones I made so long ago - 1989 that made for a tastey treat. I remember making like 3 dozen and managed to eat every single one while attending orchestra rehearsal.

CG
------------------------------------------
D E F O R M A T O R Y
In The Wake Of Pestilence
https://deformatory.bigcartel.com
Cawdorgraves

Postby Mbwun » Sun Sep 25, 2005 3:41 am

You're welcome Cawdorgraves.

I haven't tried it, but it does come from a cookbook that many people claim is one of the best out there. It's an Out-Of-Print book called The American-International Encyclopedic Cookbook by Anne London. It's an enormous volume with the qualities of a cooking-school text.

There's used copies of it for sale at amazon.com for well over $200 US.

The real secret to making good muffins is to make sure you don't overmix the batter. If you do you get tunnels and they turn out tough. I like recipes that have good liquid volume - it makes the muffin moist. There's nothing worse than dry muffins.

Let me know how they turn out.

And oh yeah, I got my copy of the cookbook for $2 CDN at a garage sale.
How hard can it be? - Jeremy Clarkson
Make no mistake, this is a Supercar. Looks good .. goes fast .. nothing else matters. - Jeremy Clarkson

AMBITIOUS, BUT RUBBISH!
Mbwun

Postby steelclaw32 » Sun Sep 25, 2005 4:14 am

So what do you think then?! is it ok? :)

Or is this better?! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

:

[img][img]http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y14/steelclaw32/cadastaTSC1ab.gif[/img][/img]
Last edited by steelclaw32 on Sun Sep 25, 2005 6:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
steelclaw32
There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy. Hamlet: Act 1, Scene 5.
steelclaw32

Postby Mbwun » Sun Sep 25, 2005 4:30 am

That's almost more of a humdinger than this one you had briefly:

It's definately a clever amalgamation of the two, though. Very good! :D

The hand is clearer on the first one.
Make no mistake, this is a Supercar. Looks good .. goes fast .. nothing else matters. - Jeremy Clarkson

AMBITIOUS, BUT RUBBISH!
Mbwun

Postby steelclaw32 » Sun Sep 25, 2005 4:46 am

:oops: WHAT??!! A L M O S T ?????!!!

Bloody women!!! there's NOOOO pleasing you lot AT ALL!! :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
steelclaw32
steelclaw32

Postby Mbwun » Sun Sep 25, 2005 5:12 am

So, should I play the violin for you then?

AMBITIOUS, BUT RUBBISH!
Mbwun

Postby steelclaw32 » Sun Sep 25, 2005 5:13 am

OK HOW ABOUT THIS ?!

:
steelclaw32
steelclaw32

Postby steelclaw32 » Sun Sep 25, 2005 5:23 am

OKKKK, please do mickeyditch on the image youself then. Charming I must say, bloody marvelous. :roll:
steelclaw32
steelclaw32

Postby Mbwun » Sun Sep 25, 2005 5:27 am

Mickeyditch :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:

I don't know what that is but LOL.

AMBITIOUS, BUT RUBBISH!
Mbwun

Postby steelclaw32 » Sun Sep 25, 2005 5:33 am

You're a Canadian, right? do you know 'messenger'?

God! woman do it ...NOW.
steelclaw32
steelclaw32

Postby Mbwun » Sun Sep 25, 2005 6:23 pm

Like the potato ones above, this one is not exactly for those on diets.

Death to Dieters Chicken Lasagne

An all-time favorite!

Ingredients:
3 cups fresh mushrooms, sliced
2 cups chopped onion
2 pkgs. Knorrs Hollandaise sauce, (prepared according to package directions) Yield: 3 cups
8 lasagne noodles, cooked
2 lbs. chicken or turkey breast, cooked and thinly sliced
salt and pepper to taste
1 tsp. dried basil
1 tsp. dried oregano
3 cups shredded Mozzarella cheese
1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 lb. fresh asparagus, cooked tender crisp

Instructions:
Spray a non-stick frying pan with cooking spray. Saute mushrooms and onions until soft. Spread a small amount of hollandaise on the bottom of a 9" x 13" pan. Place a layer of noodles on top, then cover with half of the chicken and sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste. Top with half of the mushroom and onion mixture, then half of the remaining hollandaise and sprinkle with half of the basil and oregano. Top this with half of the Mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses. Place all to the asparagus neatly (now, doesn't THAT sound like your mother!)in a layer over cheese. Repeat the layers, ending with the cheeses. Cook, uncovered, in 350 F. oven for 35 minutes, or until hot and bubbly. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting. Serve a salad with a tart dressing to offset the richness. Serves 10 - 12.

AMBITIOUS, BUT RUBBISH!
Mbwun

Postby PohlSE » Mon Sep 26, 2005 1:40 am

I've already been burning up the printer paper on the other recipes and now you have to go and post a lasagna one... Man...

Print screen again. :)

BTW, I'm with you all the way on the garlic! The more the better...

Not so much on the cabbage though.

Now I can go back to my french fries and chips. :wink:
PohlSE
Webmaster

Postby Mbwun » Mon Sep 26, 2005 3:32 am

If you pick the right cabbage, you'll never be able to taste that it has cabbage in it. You've got to get cabbage that is as fresh as possible. Don't get cabbage that has a lot of the moisture content sapped out of it by being stored for a period of time.

What you do taste is the flavor of the ground beef, garlic, onion, and tomato mixture, all blended together in what I would describe as heaven on earth. It's an incredibly savoury dish.

I live in a suite in my parent's house and we eat our meals together. I probably couldn't make this dish enough for my father's taste. And I have to say that when I eat vegetables from the cabbage family, my stomach just gets this feeling like it's been given something it really needs.

Veggies from the cabbage family are incredibly good for you. They're one of the most nutrient rich vegetables out there. Unless your stomach lacks the enzyme that digests cabbage-family veggies properly, they're probably one of the two best types of veggies to eat. The other being items from the squash family.

It's nice to see someone else who appreciates garlic. It's very good for you, as well. And it keeps the vampires away. :lol: :lol: :lol:

AMBITIOUS, BUT RUBBISH!
Mbwun

Postby PohlSE » Mon Sep 26, 2005 8:52 pm

Ok, one good turn deserves another so how about this:

Stuffed Mushrooms

Ingredients:

12 large mushrooms

6 ounces mild or hot sausage

3 tablespoons seasoned bread crumbs

½ cup shredded mozzarella cheese, divided

2 teaspoons dried parsley

Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit, grease a large baking sheet. Remove and chop mushroom stems, reserving caps.

Heat a medium skillet over medium-high heat; add sausage. Cook until browned and crumbly, about 5 minutes; drain. Stir mushroom stems, crumbs and ¼ cup mozzarella into skillet.

Remove skillet from heat. Spoon sausage mixture into mushroom caps. Place stuffed mushrooms on prepared baking sheet.

Top mushrooms with remaining mozzarella. Bake until stuffing is hot, about 15 minutes. Place on serving platter and garnish with parsley.

That should make a good appetizer for the lasagna.
PohlSE
Webmaster

Postby Mbwun » Mon Sep 26, 2005 11:39 pm

Someone posted a link to this recipe over at the Preston / Child message board. It's pretty disgusting so you better have a strong stomach. For some reason I think it might be quite good.

Boortz's Kitty Litter Cake Recipe

Ingredients

1 (18.25 ounce) package German chocolate cake mix
1 (18.25 ounce) package white cake mix
2 (3.5 ounce) packages instant vanilla pudding mix
1 (12 ounce) package vanilla sandwich cookies
3 drops green food coloring
1 (12 ounce) package tootsie rolls

Directions

1 Prepare cake mixes and bake according to package directions (any size pan).

2 Prepare pudding according to package directions and chill until ready to assemble.

3 Crumble sandwich cookies in small batches in a food processor, scraping often. Set aside all but 1/4 cup. To the 1/4 cup add a few drops of green food coloring and mix.

4 When cakes are cooled to room temperature, crumble them into a large bowl. Toss with 1/2 of the remaining cookie crumbs, and the chilled pudding. You probably won't need all of the pudding, you want the cake to be just moist, not soggy.

5 Line kitty litter box with the kitty litter liner. Put cake mixture into box.

6 Put half of the unwrapped tootsie rolls in a microwave safe dish and heat until softened. Shape the ends so that they are no longer blunt, and curve the tootsie rolls slightly. Bury tootsie rolls randomly in the cake and sprinkle with half of the remaining cookie crumbs. Sprinkle a small amount of the green colored cookie crumbs lightly over the top.

7 Heat 3 or 4 of the tootsie rolls in the microwave until almost melted. Scrape them on top of the cake and sprinkle lightly with some of the green cookie crumbs. Heat the remaining tootsie rolls until pliable and shape as before. Spread all but one randomly over top of cake mixture. Sprinkle with any remaining cookie crumbs. Hang the remaining tootsie roll over side of litter box and sprinkle with a few green cookie crumbs. Serve with the pooper scooper for a gross Halloween dessert.

I would suggest you might want to buy a brand-new litter box for this one.

AMBITIOUS, BUT RUBBISH!
Mbwun

PreviousNext

Return to Random Notes