Favourite Recipes

Polls, funny pictures, jokes, must-see websites, personal announcements, you name it...

Postby PohlSE » Tue Sep 27, 2005 12:43 am

Well there goes the appetite!

What might be real fun is once the fake kitty litter runs our replace it with the real thing!
PohlSE
Webmaster

Postby kit » Mon Oct 24, 2005 5:15 pm

our house sometimes gets really wacky -- between practices, work schedules, yada, yada --then there's theater season and I have my head buried.
SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO...... you guys ever use those tin foil pans =--come in all shapes and sizes -- or servin 'savers.
One tummy -- no problemo ---make that recipe --then divide it up, freeze for later -- sound too much like Martha Stewart -- it's not -- just practical, saves your butt in a tight spot and is worth the effort.

Those cheesy potatoes(recipe was given) -- make them they're really good --divide into 2-3 of the au gratin size tin foil pans. freeze

baking potatoes -- make 3-4 extra, scoop the insides out, mix up with some sour cream, garlic powder, parmesan cheese -- refill potato skins for twice baked potatoes -- tuck in a ziploc freezer bag and freeze for later.

Don't for get the deli --and cheat a little -- get deli roast beef or turkey,
make some mashed potatoes -- bread and a jar of gravy -- nuke the meat -- slap between 2 sices of bread -- cut in half, scoop on the mashed spuds, and top with the gravy -- hot meal fast.

I love Granite City's french onion soup -- so I make my own version --not as good -- but it works -- can of french onion soup -- garlic toast I've gotten at bakery, and provolone cheese -- make the soup, add the toast and cheese : put it all in a soup mug and bake it in the oven till cheese is bubbly.

this stuff works when everyone is on the hop and usually we aren't together for a sit down meal -- or I need to feed my crew fast.
kit

Postby kit » Mon Oct 24, 2005 5:33 pm

did the same recipe twice --oops
Last edited by kit on Mon Oct 24, 2005 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kit

Postby kit » Mon Oct 24, 2005 5:41 pm

Chicken Enchiladas 9x13 cake pan
350* for oven

4-5 chicken breasts (cooked and cut up)
2 cans enchilada sauce or 1 lge can
1 can cream of chicken soup
24 oz shredded cheddar cheese
2 pkges corn tortillas (can use flour ones)

broth from cooking chicken

warm through: chicken, soup, enchilda sauce, add a bit of the broth from chicken -- this should be like spaghetti sauce consistancy.
butter pan -- add some sauce, then layer of tortillas, more sauce, cheese. keep layering the tortillas, sauce and cheese (like lasagna). should have 3-4 layers ending with the cheese -- tortillas will overlap each other -- can't avoid it.
IF you make this right away -- it should only need about half hour in oven. let stand awhile before cutting.

If make ahead, and put in fridge -- cover with tin foil and bake an hour.
Cut in serving size sqares.
can eat this on it's own -- or use it as a base and add favorite toppings, sour cream, black olives, salsa, lettuce,tomatoes, gracamole
kit

Postby Mbwun » Fri Oct 28, 2005 5:51 pm

Well, kit has just PMed me to inform me of how good she thinks the Almost Cabbage Rolls are, and I thought that I would post a comment from author Jack Whyte regarding the same topic:

Cathy,

I have to tell you that my wife Beverley thinks you and I might know each other, perhaps from a previous incarnation in Ancient Eire... There's a very simple reason for that, of course, and I thought I'd write to you and tell you about it.

A couple of weeks ago, you posted a few recipes in here , in response to the question of what you would serve me if I were to turn up at your door bearing a bottle of vino and looking to be fed. I was intrigued, and I transcribed them and printed them out, then passed them along to my wife.

And so this weekend, when our Clan all arrived in Kelowna on Friday evening, haggard and harried and hungry after driving all day from a variety of points across Western Canada, we served them your "Almost Cabbage Rolls", and they were the smash hit of the Thanksgiving weekend. We scoffed the entire enormous pan of them and would have eaten even more had there been more available . . . which is amusing, considering that Beverley was worried, originally, about where she was going to store the leftovers... But the "smash" hit was soon followed, and came nigh to being eclipsed, by the "mash" hit of Thanksgiving Dinner itself—the fabulous recipe for your mashed potatoes with goat cheese and green onions... That one has already joined the votive list of our family's favouirite potato recipes.

So thanks for the memories...

Jack W.
How hard can it be? - Jeremy Clarkson
Make no mistake, this is a Supercar. Looks good .. goes fast .. nothing else matters. - Jeremy Clarkson

AMBITIOUS, BUT RUBBISH!
Mbwun

Postby Mbwun » Tue Nov 22, 2005 1:48 am

I posted this recipe on the Preston/Child website earlier today and got some very good responses to it. I thought that you guys might like to have it as well. It's about the best bar recipe there is - BAR NONE!

Ahaaahaaahaaaa ...... I slay me!!!

The Original Nanaimo Bar

Although there is a lot of speculation surrounding the origin of the famous Nanaimo Bar treat, since little solid evidence exists today, the city of Nanaimo has offered its theory about the three layered treats. Sharing its namesake with the bar, Nanaimo's history reveals that these homemade bars were sent by miners' families to their loved ones in the field as a sweet treat to brighten their day. Whatever the case, Nanaimo Bars have become a Nanaimo staple, offered in most restaurants and cafes throughout the city. There have been many versions of Nanaimo Bars made over the years, but the Original Nanaimo Bar recipe still stands as a favourite.

THE ORIGINAL NANAIMO BAR

Bottom Layer
1/2 cup unsalted butter (Euro-style cultured)
1/4 cup sugar
5 tbsp. cocoa
1 egg beaten
1 3/4 cup graham wafer crumbs
1/2 cup finely chopped almonds
1 cup coconut

Melt first three ingredients in the top of a double bolier.
Add egg and stir to cook and thicken .
Remove from heat.
Stir in crumbs, coconut and nuts.
Press firmly into an ungreased 8 X 8 pan.

Second Layer
1/2 cup unsalted butter
2 tbsp. and 2 tsp. of cream
2 tbsp. vanilla custard powder
2 cup icing sugar

Cream butter, cream, custard powder and icing sugar together well.
Beat until light.
Spread over bottom layer

Third Layer
4 squares semi-sweet chocolate (1 oz each)
2 tbsp. unsalted butter

Melt chocolate and butter over low heat.
Cool.
Once cool, but still liquid, pour over second layer and chill in refrigerator.
Make no mistake, this is a Supercar. Looks good .. goes fast .. nothing else matters. - Jeremy Clarkson

AMBITIOUS, BUT RUBBISH!
Mbwun

Postby Phoenix » Wed Mar 15, 2006 12:14 am

Classic Lasagna

Take one microwave Lasagne - stick fork in film lid a few times - open microwave, throw it in, slam door, select 8 mins (full power) - hit COOK!!!

Stop after 4/5 minutes, remove film lid (but leave attached at one end), take knife, unstick parts that are stuck to the side of the plastic container - stick knife in a few times to vent excess steam - lick knife clean (yummy) - replace film lid, throw it back in microwave, slam door, hit COOK again.

After the BEEP BEEP BEEP, remove lasagne from microwave, remove film lid completely, take one plate, empty contents into plate - add any optional extras (salad etc), throw packaging in garbage pail - retire to living room, hit PLAY on DVD player (choice of movie is yours), and enjoy.
Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup."
If the world didn't suck would we all fall off
Phoenix

Red Velvet Cake with Berries and Cream Cheese icing

Postby SqueezeRLZ » Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:29 am

RED VELVET CAKE WITH RASPBERRIES AND BLUEBERRIES

I got this recipe off of epicurious.com about two years ago. I've made this cake many times and it is so good! Hope you like it! I recommend you use the fresh berries as directed not frozen. Yummy!

Cake
2 1/4 cups sifted cake flour (sifted, then measured)
2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup buttermilk
2 tablespoons red food coloring
1 teaspoon distilled white vinegar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
2 large eggs

Frosting
2 8-ounce packages cream cheese, room temperature
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
2 1/2 cups powdered sugar

3 1/2-pint baskets fresh raspberries
3 1/2-pint baskets fresh blueberries

For cake:
Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter and flour two 9-inch-diameter cake pans with 1 1/2-inch-high sides. Sift sifted flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt into medium bowl. Whisk buttermilk, food coloring, vinegar, and vanilla in small bowl to blend. Using electric mixer, beat sugar and butter in large bowl until well blended. Add eggs 1 at a time, beating until well blended after each addition. Beat in dry ingredients in 4 additions alternately with buttermilk mixture in 3 additions.

Divide batter between prepared pans. Bake cakes until tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 27 minutes. Cool in pans on racks 10 minutes. Turn cakes out onto racks; cool completely.

For frosting:
Beat cream cheese and butter in large bowl until smooth. Beat in vanilla. Add powdered sugar and beat until smooth.

Place 1 cake layer, flat side up, on platter. Spread 1 cup frosting over top of cake. Arrange 1 basket raspberries and 1/2 basket blueberries atop frosting, pressing lightly to adhere. Top with second cake layer, flat side down. Spread remaining frosting over top and sides of cake. Arrange remaining berries decoratively over top of cake. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate. Let stand at room temperature 1 hour before serving.)

Makes 12 servings.
Bon Appétit
June 2003
Adapted from B. Smith

:D
"Six pins, Dolores! Six pins, not five! "
SqueezeRLZ

Postby Slade » Wed Mar 22, 2006 5:10 am

Welcome! I love a guest who brings food!

Slade
Slade

Postby Mbwun » Wed Mar 22, 2006 8:52 pm

Welcome to the board, SqueezeRLZ! That Red Velvet Cake with Raspberries and Blueberries sounds tasty! :D

The discussion got around to the topic of Dessert items on a UK based forum I that I tend to lurk at. It seems that most of them had fond memories of something called "Gypsy Tart" from their days at boarding school. I guess because of its ease in making, it was a popular thing to be served for Pudding there. Here's the recipe:

Gypsy Tart

Ingredients

1 14oz tin of Evaporated milk.
12oz Dark muscovado sugar.
1 10in shortcrust pastry case Pre baked.

Method

Pre heat oven to 400 /F.
Whisk evaporated milk and sugar together for 10 - 15 minutes until light and fluffy.
The mix should be coffee coloured.
Pour the mix into the pastry case and bake in the oven for 10 minutes.
The gypsy tart will have a slightly sticky surface
but will not be set completely until it has been left to cool.
Serve cold.
Servings: 6

The unPCness of the term "Gypsy" got me Googling for the more PC term of "Romany". (I guess because I'm part Welsh Roma.) As a result I found this recipe that sounds even more delish:

Romany Cream Tart

Ingredients

200 g Romany Creams
180 g instant chocolate pudding
800 ml cold milk
250 ml cream, chilled
20 g chocolate Flake, crumbled
glacé cherries for decoration

Method

Place the biscuits in a plastic bag and crush with a rolling pin. Spread the crumbs evenly in a 21 x 27 cm pie dish. Beat the instant pudding and milk together until smooth and spread evenly over the crumb layer. Whip the cream until stiff peaks are formed and spread over the chocolate pudding. Sprinkle with the crumbled chocolate and decorate with glacé cherries. Chill until set. Serves 6.
Servings: 6

And if you want to make your own Romany Creams for the recipe:

Romany Creams

Cookie

1/2 lb. butter plus
1 tbsp. butter
1 cup sugar
2 cups flour
1 1/2 cups shredded sweetended coconut
2 ozs. semisweet baking chocolate - melted
1/2 cup boiling water
1 tsp. baking powder

Butter Cream Filling

1 lb. confectioners' sugar
1/4 lb. butter - softened (not melted)
1/8 tsp. salt
1 tsp. vanilla extract
3-4 tbsp. milk

Make the cookies: Cream together butter and sugar; add flour, coconut, and baking powder. Dissolve melted baking chocolate by whisking into boiling water; add to mixture. Roll mixture into small 1-inch balls. Place balls on greased cookie sheet and, using a fork, press criss-cross to flatten. Bake in a moderate oven, preheated to 350F, for 10 to 12 minutes until desired doneness (some people like them crispier than others); let cool on a wire rack.

Make the butter cream filling: Cream one-third of the confectioners' sugar with softened butter and salt in large bowl. Blend vanilla extract, 2 tablespoons milk and remaining sugar into mixture. Gradually stir remaining milk into filling until desired spreading consistency is reached. When cookies have cooled completely, sandwich them together with the butter cream filling.

If desired you can melt some squares of high-quality milk chocolate and coat one half of the completed cookie by dipping.

AMBITIOUS, BUT RUBBISH!
Mbwun

Postby Phoenix » Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:02 pm

Chicken Marsala

CHICKEN MARSALA

yieId:: 8 servings ( I find even if you use less chicken to keep everything else the same, more of that delicious sauce)

8 whole large breasts, skinned,
boned, and each cut in half
2 eggs
1 cup dried bread crumbs
1 1/2 sticks Butter or margarine
4 garlic cloves, sliced
4 teaspoons all-purpose flour
1 cup water
3/4 cup Marsala wine (good quality, not cooking marsala)
1/4 teaspoon pepper
6 mushroom caps, sliced

1. In small bowl beat eggs slightly: place breadcrumbs on plate or wax paper. Dip chicken pieces into egg and then into bread crumbs to coat them evenly.
2. Put 2 tablespoons (1/4 stick) butter or margarine in 12” skillet over medium heat, cook garlic until starting to slightly brown and add 3 breaded chicken pieces until chicken is golden brown on both sides, about (6 minutes). Remove chicken to warm platter, keep warm. In same skillet with garlic, melt 2 more tablespoons butter or margarine (I/4 stick); cook 3 more chicken pieces. Remove to platter and keep warm. Repeat with remaining chicken pieces and more butter.
3. In same skillet, melt 4 tablespoons butter or margarine (I/2 stick). Stir in flour, scraping to loosen brown bits from bottom of skillet. Grad-ually stir in water,Marsala, pepper and mushrooms. Cook, stirring, until mix-ture thickens and boils. Put chicken pieces back in as sauce is thickening. If you don't like mushrooms they can be omitted but I really feel they add to the flavor and sauce texture.
Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup."
Phoenix

Postby Mafus » Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:42 am

SqueezeRLZ also makes a killer Rum Cake (with Mount Gay, of course.) I requested it for my birthday last year and she came through gloriously. Ask her nicely and maybe she'll post the recipe.
"I know you gentleman have been through a lot but, when you find the time, I'd rather not spend the rest of this winter...TIED TO THIS @#%&ING COUCH!!!"
Mafus

Postby Elizabeth » Fri May 05, 2006 5:41 pm

Ok this is a very simple recipe.

CHOCOLATE FUDGE

1 can condensed milk
1 pkg chocoloate chips
1 1/4 cups of icing sugar

Combine condensed milk and chocolate chips over low heat, stir until chips are melted. Remove from heat and add icing sugar, mix well, put mixture into a buttered 8x8 pan. Refidgerate.
Elizabeth

Postby Phoenix » Sat May 06, 2006 9:37 pm

Hungarian Goulash

4 lb stew meat
2/3 cup vegetable oil
4t paprika
4 onions minced
2t salt
1t pepper
12 oz tomato paste
2 cups water
2 cloves garlic minced

In a heavy pot cook onion in oil till tender, stirring frequently then remove onions. Combine paprika, 1t salt and pepper and coat meat with mixture. Brown meat in drippings and return onions to pan. Stir in paste, water, remaining salt and garlic. Simmer, stirring occasionally for 1 1/2-2hours until meat is tender. You can add more water if necessary.
Phoenix

Postby slyragz » Wed May 10, 2006 5:02 pm

While on recent trip to Boston, I roamed the North End (kind of a little Italy) and made the mistake of consuming a pistachio nut macaroon from Mike's Pastries.

I have never, ever, in my entire life put anything that tasted that good in my mouth. Since then, I've searched for a recipe for pistachio nut macaroons and can't come up with anything close to Mike's. They were like eating a cross between a gooey butter cake and spumoni ice cream.

If anyone has anything close, let me know. I'm pretty talented in the kitchen and I figure if I get a recipe that comes close, I can figure the missing parts out on my own - given enough practice batches.

In the meantime, I've ordered some from Mike's and they should be here today or tomorrow. Sad, isn't it.
slyragz

PreviousNext

Return to Random Notes