Favourite Recipes

Polls, funny pictures, jokes, must-see websites, personal announcements, you name it...

Postby WaywardSoul » Wed May 10, 2006 5:10 pm

Is this even close, slyragz?

Ingredients

For the macaroons:

1/3 cup or 3 ounces pistachios

3/4 cup confectioners' sugar

2 large egg whites

1 tbsp sugar

For the buttercream:

1/4 cup or 2 ounces pistachios

1 2/3 cups confectioners' sugar

1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened

2 baking sheets, lined with parchment paper

Preparation

Preheat the oven to 350°F.

Grind the pistachios in a food processor along with the confectioners' sugar (this stops them turning into an oily mess), until as fine as dust. Whisk the egg whites until fairly stiff, but not dry, sprinkle the sugar over and whisk until very stiff. Fold the whites into the pistachio-sugar dust, and combine gently. Pipe small rounds onto your lined baking sheet, using a plain 1/2-inch nozzle. Let them sit for about 10 minutes to form a skin. Then put in the oven and cook for 10-12 minutes: they should be set, but not dried out.

Remove from the oven and let cool, still on their sheets, while you get on with the filling. This is simple work: grind the nuts and confectioners' sugar in the processoor as before; then cream the butter and continue creaming as you add the nut dust. Make sure you have a well-combined soft buttercream. Then simply sandwich the macaroons together.
"Remember, there's a big difference between kneeling down and bending over." - Frank Zappa
WaywardSoul

Postby slyragz » Wed May 10, 2006 5:15 pm

I pulled that one from a google search, and it seems to be missing the almond/cherry flavor that you get with spumoni ice cream, which is what they really reminded me of.

God, I'm drooling.

Thanks for the help. Believe me, if---no, when I figure it out, I will definitely put it out here.
slyragz

Postby WaywardSoul » Wed May 10, 2006 5:29 pm

I might be stating the obvious, but did you try asking the folks at Mike's?

Maybe use the recipe I posted, adding a teaspoon or so of almond and cherry extract in the filling?

Please share if you figure it out.
Baking is a hobby of mine and I'd be intersted in trying these as a step up from my standard chocolate-dipped, coconut macaroons.
"Remember, there's a big difference between kneeling down and bending over." - Frank Zappa
WaywardSoul

Postby Mbwun » Sat May 13, 2006 5:12 pm

Slyragz,

I can't help with the recipe, but I have put out some enquiries on a couple of other message boards I contribute to. One of them is a cooking forum populated by both professional and amateur cooks. Here's a link to it for anyone who might have some cooking-related questions they're looking for answers to:

http://www.cheftalk.com/forums/index.ph ... 1a034766da
How hard can it be? - Jeremy Clarkson
Make no mistake, this is a Supercar. Looks good .. goes fast .. nothing else matters. - Jeremy Clarkson

AMBITIOUS, BUT RUBBISH!
Mbwun

Postby Mbwun » Sat May 13, 2006 8:17 pm

I found a recipe for pine nut macaroons on a website. One person made this statement about it:

If you have had the pleasure of the pistachio macaroons from Mike's Pastry in Boston's Northend, you will understand that any cookies that resembles Mike's is great. These do!

I'm wondering if it would work to substitute the pine nuts with pistachios, and the grated lemon with cherries.

PINE NUT COOKIES

Crispy on the outside and chewy on the inside, these cookies are like almond macaroons with a pine nut bonus

Ingredients

1 1/2 cups pine nuts (about 7 ounces)
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup (packed) almond paste,* crumbled
1 1/2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 large egg whites
1 1/3 cups all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt

1/2 cup powdered sugar (for dusting)

Preparation

Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter 2 large baking sheets. Using on/off turns, blend 3/4 cup pine nuts and next 4 ingredients in processor until crumbly mixture forms. Transfer mixture to large bowl; add egg whites. Using electric mixer, beat until mixture is smooth. Whisk flour, baking powder, and salt in small bowl to blend. Add to pine nut mixture; beat until smooth (dough will be soft and sticky).

Place remaining 3/4 cup pine nuts in shallow bowl. Spoon generous tablespoonful dough into pine nuts in shallow bowl, coating 1 side of dough with pine nuts. Using floured fingertips, transfer dough to prepared baking sheet, pine nut side up. Smooth edges of dough to form even round. Repeat with remaining dough, flouring fingertips as needed to prevent sticking and spacing cookies 2 inches apart on prepared baking sheets.

Bake cookies 1 baking sheet at a time until golden, about 20 minutes. Cool completely. Dust with powdered sugar, transfer to plate, and serve. (Cookies can be made 1 day ahead. Store in airtight container at room temperature.)

*Almond paste is available at specialty foods stores and in the baking-products section of most supermarkets.

Makes about 28.

editted to add:

I've noticed that many of the macaroon recipes at the ChefTalk site tend to recommend whipping the egg whites until they form stiff shiny peaks and then folding the other ingredients into them.

And it's recommended that they be placed on wire racks to cool ASAP in order to prevent them from going soggy. I get the idea that they're rather tricky items to bake properly from some of the posts about making them.

This is what CrazyTATT had to say about cooking them:

A Macaroon is eccentially a baked merangue cookie. Whipping the white to stiff shiney peaks is crucial. This step is what provides the macaroon its signature "Airyness". With out whipping, you'll just get baked egg white omellets.

Be sure to whip them, when they bake it will firm all the protien of the white and lock in the air, rendering you a light and fluffy, melt in your mouth macaroon. They are one of the easiest cookies to produce, just make sure they cool on a rack so they don't steam themselves soggy.

Best of luck.
Make no mistake, this is a Supercar. Looks good .. goes fast .. nothing else matters. - Jeremy Clarkson

AMBITIOUS, BUT RUBBISH!
Mbwun

Postby slyragz » Sun May 14, 2006 4:42 pm

My Hero(ine)!

The result of this recipe is so close that I think I may be able to get past this craving until August, when I go back. You're truly an angel.
slyragz

Postby Mbwun » Sun May 14, 2006 9:07 pm

Glad I could be of some help! :D

AMBITIOUS, BUT RUBBISH!
Mbwun

Postby SqueezeRLZ » Mon Jul 10, 2006 11:44 pm

Crab Enchiladas

12 oz (or more) fresh crab meat
12 flour tortillas for soft tacos
1 block of cream cheese (can be reduced calorie but not fat free)
1/3 cup half n half (can be fat free)
1/2 cup diced sweet onion
1 small can diced green chilies
2 cups grated queso quesidilla (not fresco)
1 tbsp butter
2 cans GREEN enchilada sauce

Melt butter in pan and add onions. Saute until soft. Add green chilies. Cut cream cheese up into cubes and add to pan. Stir until melted. Stir in half and half. Remove from heat. Fold in crab meat. Divide up mixture among the tortillas- roll up. Spread 1/2 cup of enchilada sauce in bottom of 13" x 9" pan. Lay rolled up tortillas side by side in pan. Pour rest of enchilada sauce over top. Cover with grated cheese. Bake at 400 degrees F. for 20 minutes until brown on top. Serve hot.

This stuff is smack your mamma good.
"Six pins, Dolores! Six pins, not five! "
SqueezeRLZ

Postby Slade » Tue Jul 11, 2006 4:26 am

YUM! It sounds it.
Slade

Postby Bombz Away » Sat Oct 06, 2007 1:50 pm

Ooh recipe pages - love em

Heres an easy one for carrot cake

1 Cup self raising flour
1 Teaspoon Bicarbonate of Soda
½ Teaspoon ground Cinnamon
½ Teaspoon ground Cloves
1 Cup firmly packed Brown Sugar
1½ Cups finely grated Carrot
½ Cup Sultanas
½ Cup finely chopped Glace Ginger
½ Cup finely chopped Walnuts
²/³ Cup Vegetable Oil
2 Eggs lightly Beaten

For the cream cheese frosting

60g packaged cream cheese
1 Teaspoon grated Lemon Rind
30g Soft Butter
1½ Cups Icing Sugar

Method

Grease a 15cm x 25cm Loaf pan, line base with paper; Grease paper.
Sift flour, soda and spices into bowl
Stir in Sugar, Carrot, Sultanas, Ginger and nuts.
Stir in combined oil and eggs, beat with an electric mixer on medium speed for 5 minutes
Pour into prepared pan, bake in moderately slow oven for about 1 hour, or until cooked when tested.
Stand for 5 minutes, turn onto wire rack to cool.

Frosting: Beat softened butter, cheese and rind in a small bowl with an electric mixer until smooth. Beat in sifted icing sugar.

Spread cold cake with frosting.

Enjoy!
Bombz Away

Postby Mbwun » Mon Oct 08, 2007 3:21 pm

Had a nice Thanksgiving dinner last night. We didn't eat until after 7 because my new brother-in-law didn't get off work until 7. My sister brought her fantastic pepper salad, and she finally - finally - finally remembered to bring the recipe. So I thought I'd post it for you guys:

Pepper Salad

1 - 14oz can green beans (drained)
1 - 12oz can kernel corn (drained)
1/2 cup chopped green pepper
1/2 cup chopped red pepper
1/2 cup each of any other colour bell pepper you would like
1 cup sliced celery
1/2 cup sliced green onion

Dressing:

1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
1/4 cup salad oil
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper

Mix together and pour over vegetables. Refrigerate.

note:

If you double the vegetables, you don't need to double the dressing.

AMBITIOUS, BUT RUBBISH!
Mbwun

Chicken Fajita Lasagna

Postby ALWFTW » Tue Oct 09, 2007 2:36 am

I copied and pasted this from the website I orginally got it from
This is an expensive dinner, supplies etc. BUT if you need to feed about
10 people, this works great

4 chicken breasts
2 onions
1 bunch fresh cilantro
2 packages fajita seasoning
1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper, divided
1 box lasagna noodles
1 small container cottage cheese
1 small container ricotta cheese
1 jalapeno pepper (chopped)
1 head garlic
1 can Ro-tel
1 large can tomato sauce
1 can whole kernel corn (drained)
16 oz. Mexican or taco blend cheeses

Boil chicken with 1 package fajita seasoning, 1 whole onion, 3-5 cloves garlic, 1/2 the cayenne pepper and several leaves of cilantro. Cool and cut into bite sized pieces. Mix chicken with 1 onion (diced), Ro-Tel, tomato sauce, corn and other package of fajita seasoning. Set aside. Mix cottage and ricotta cheese together. Add chopped jalapeno, 4-5 cloves garlic, about 20-25 sprigs of cilantro (chopped) and remaining cayenne pepper. Boil noodles according to package directions. Layer in a baking dish sprayed with Pam. Add 1/3 of the cottage cheese mixture. Top with 1/3 the chicken mixture and 1/3 the cheese. Repeat layers, ending with cheese on top. Bake in a preheated 375°F oven about 45 minutes or until bubbly and golden brown. Serve topped with pico de gallo and a dollop of sour cream.
ALWFTW

Postby slyragz » Tue May 06, 2008 7:02 pm

Went to a Kiwanis dinner last night. Catered and they had prepared this dish. I would have never thought to pair these spices with these veggies, but it was incredibly good.

So, of course, I walked back into the kitchen and coaxed the recipe from the caterer.

Spicy roasted veggies

4-5 carrots (peeled and diagonally cut into bite size chunks)
1 lb fresh green beans
palm-full of cumin
couple pinches of chili powder
kosher salt
splash or two of ev olive oil

parboil veggies. preheat oven to 325. drain veggies. toss veggies with olive oil and spices. roast about 20-30 minutes.

is that too easy or what?
slyragz

Postby Baidhnobas » Mon May 16, 2011 7:21 pm

I just made some cream soda, and it was so easy and delicious I have to share the recipe. It comes courtesy of Shreve Stockton, author, photographer, coyote tamer extraordinaire.
1 part maple syrup (the container I used holds 550 ml, so this was 61 ml)
2 parts cream (122 ml)
6 parts carbonated water (366ml)
Mix and drink.
Immorality I know. Immortality I cannot judge.
Baidhnobas

Location: Lost. After a while one circle of Hell looks pretty much like another.

Postby Mbwun » Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:16 pm

AMBITIOUS, BUT RUBBISH!
Mbwun

PreviousNext

Return to Random Notes