what's in a name????

Polls, funny pictures, jokes, must-see websites, personal announcements, you name it...

what's in a name????

Postby kit » Tue Mar 28, 2006 6:57 am

I've looked at the names we use here on the board and wonder how or why we all pick the names we use.....some have been explained before but would you indulge my curiousity (only if you are comfortable doing so) and explain why or how you came by the name you use.....

Kit -- is a nickname. My parents named me this dirivitive form of a common name -- and I spent years telling people how to spell it, how to pronounce it -- finally I just gave up -- just said it's "kit", 3 letters, hard to screw up and don't even mess with the other one!!
kit

Postby MarylandManson » Tue Mar 28, 2006 6:52 pm

Just a spur-of-the-moment (lame) pun. Upon first joining the Board I had never heard a note of Marilyn Manson's music. However, WaywardSoul has since kindly rectified that seeming oversight, and in hindsight it was an OK choice.
MarylandManson
co-administrator

Postby PohlSE » Tue Mar 28, 2006 7:49 pm

Last name plus first and middle inital...

Pohl + S + E

Not a very interesting story I admit, but at least it was simple. :)

...And no, I was never fond of Fredrick Pohl's books. Just not my style...
PohlSE
Webmaster

Postby EZ Rhino » Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:00 am

There's a scene in the movie Clear and Present Danger, where a carrier launched fighter/bomber drops a laser guided bomb onto the compound of a Columbian drug lord. Cartel bosses, bodyguards, family and servants all go out with a bang. The pilot's call sign was 'Easy Rhino'. I thought that name was rather clever so I nicked it. I haven't seen the movie, Easy Rider though. Heard it was kinda boring.
I wish the media would report more on public service and charity news instead of gossip. It is of much greater value. - Jackie Chan
EZ Rhino

Postby EZ Rhino » Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 am

Hey! So if I subtract 8 hours then I come up with the local time for me? Been wondering about that...It's 4 p.m. right here in Lillooet... :lol:
I wish the media would report more on public service and charity news instead of gossip. It is of much greater value. - Jackie Chan
EZ Rhino

Postby Cawdorgraves » Wed Mar 29, 2006 1:01 am

CAWDOR - is the original spelling of my surname Calder, sect of the Campbell clan. A reason why Burnt Bones was so inspiring and exciting a read for me.

Graves - Ghoul was my first exposure to M. Slade and well it sounds fitting as my pen name.

Cawdor Graves was born. But that isn't my real name.

CG
------------------------------------------
D E F O R M A T O R Y
In The Wake Of Pestilence
https://deformatory.bigcartel.com
Cawdorgraves

Postby Slade » Wed Mar 29, 2006 2:42 am

Kit,

This thread is a great idea!

It answers all sorts of puzzles.

Slade
Slade

Postby moonflee » Wed Mar 29, 2006 2:52 am

Well when I got my first computer I was looking for an email that was unique. I didn't want jim125@whatever. So my then 14 year old sister-in-law came up with moonflee.

Whenever I need a screen name I have used it and only once was it already taken.

That's my story.
Nothing’s so loud
As hearing when we lie
The truth is not kind
And you’ve said neither am I
- toad the wet sprocket
moonflee

Postby Mbwun » Wed Mar 29, 2006 3:11 am

Mine comes courtesy of Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child.

The Mbwun Lily is the plant that produced the hormonal spores that transformed a human being into a monstrous killing machine in their first novel "Relic". It was the first novel of its type I'd ever read and it turned me into a lifelong Preston/Child fan.

I was participating on their message board long before I ever found my way here. I originally registered there under one name, but my account could only be used on their message board. When I registered an account that could be used across the EZBoard system, I chose the username sladist148 because I was the 148th person registered on the old message board here.

In retrospect I wish I'd registered here as Mbwun Lily and not just Mbwun, but I guess it's a bit late to change it - unless I reregister with a new name.
How hard can it be? - Jeremy Clarkson
Make no mistake, this is a Supercar. Looks good .. goes fast .. nothing else matters. - Jeremy Clarkson

AMBITIOUS, BUT RUBBISH!
Mbwun

Postby PohlSE » Wed Mar 29, 2006 3:53 am

>warning, unsolicited opinion approaching<

I like it as Mbwun. I don't know why but Mbwun Lily just doesn't sound as good...
PohlSE
Webmaster

Postby kit » Wed Mar 29, 2006 6:18 am

thanx -- to all who have answered so far -- I love the stories behind the names. I've just always wondered about it -- and it's interesting to me.
kit

Postby WaywardSoul » Wed Mar 29, 2006 2:29 pm

No big mystery behind my screen name.

Just a nod to my life-long rebellious nature! :twisted:
"Remember, there's a big difference between kneeling down and bending over." - Frank Zappa
WaywardSoul

Postby Syl » Wed Mar 29, 2006 8:53 pm

Syl, as I have mentioned before, is an acronym for Strapping Young Lad. I chose it because the first time I heard Syl, it blew my mind. I was in a really dark place at the time (and still take unwanted journeys there), and I had never heard such unrestrained anger and frustration in music before.

As I became a Strapping fan, I discovered I had information about the singer, Devin Townsend, that helped me identify even more with what he sings about both with SYL and solo. Thus was Syl born.
I am the dawning of a new age
Syl

Postby Jake » Thu Mar 30, 2006 12:03 am

Jake is simply the first two letters of my first name (Ja), and the first two letters of my last name (ke).
Jake

Postby kit » Thu Mar 30, 2006 3:16 am

*thunk* *thunk*
LOL -- Syl -- I had no idea that Strapping Young Lad was a band -- I thought when you first mentioned it -- it was a description of yourself -- you know, like youthful Grizzly Adams or something. (God!!! do I feel dumb!!LOL)
I'm really glad I asked this question, now -- when I answer a post I try to get a sense of who is on the board -- will have to re-vamp my ideas.kit
kit

Next

Return to Random Notes