what's in a name????

Polls, funny pictures, jokes, must-see websites, personal announcements, you name it...

Postby kit » Thu Jul 13, 2006 2:36 am

Slade, fellow Sladists -- got me thinking -- has anyone else named their car or any other inantimate object.
Our family was given a footstool by this neat little old lady, it had belonged to her husband (who she always referred to as "my Burt) so in the scroogy thinking of my family -- the footstool was thereafter reffered to as "my Burt" or BURT for short.
and our shop vac was nicknamed R2D2 after Star Wars came out --- does anyone else do this?
kit

Postby Wayne R. » Thu Jul 13, 2006 10:45 am

Don't do much in the 'naming inanimate objects' field, but I did once know a girl who named her Vauxhall Viva 'Graham'. No idea why.
Oh, and a guy we've called on many times for assistance with various house bashing projects has a brutal-looking hammer in his toolbox that looks like it's given him many years of faithful service. It's a weighty, gnarled, battle-scarred piece of iron, wood and electrical tape that he calls The Persuader.
"If the monkeys can't peel bananas, why teach them rocket science?" - Verbatim reply from a Deputy Director at my former employers' when asked about training.
Wayne R.

Postby krista in ma » Thu Jul 13, 2006 2:02 pm

kit wrote:Slade, fellow Sladists -- got me thinking -- has anyone else named their car or any other inantimate object....

I don't recall actually ever calling my car by it's name, but shortly after I got it, I named him B.A. - for "B.A. Baracus" from the A-Team.

All of my stuffed animals have names. Other than that, I can't think of any "things" that have names.
~ Spc. Byron W. Fouty, MI ~ Staff Sgt. Alex R. Jimenez, MA ~
They have served our nation; together they are home.
~ Staff Sgt. Keith Matthew Maupin ~
An American Son Returns Home
krista in ma

Postby slyragz » Thu Jul 13, 2006 4:06 pm

I name my Thanksgiving turkey - and I have since I was little. I know, it's strange. I also named the Southern Magnolia tree I planted a few years back. She's doing wonderful by the way.
slyragz

Postby Mbwun » Thu Jul 13, 2006 4:31 pm

There was a fir tree in the pasture of the farm we sold last year that had a perfect little seating place on the ground under it. I used to sit there and observe the cows, as well as read books under it. I called it Treebeard after the Ent in "Lord of the Rings".

Sadly, it blew down in a strong windstorm when I was in high school. So Treebeard is no more.

The man who's plane was the first small plane I ever got a ride in called the craft Mathilda. She's the first Cessna 210 to ever come off the production line. He's had a few mishaps in her over the years, but she's still going strong. He forked out about $12,000 a few years ago to have her 2-bladed prop upgraded to a 3-blader. She resides in a hangar at the airport in Beaver Creek, YT.
How hard can it be? - Jeremy Clarkson
Make no mistake, this is a Supercar. Looks good .. goes fast .. nothing else matters. - Jeremy Clarkson

AMBITIOUS, BUT RUBBISH!
Mbwun

Postby TwiztdFidgt » Sun Jul 30, 2006 11:05 pm

Hmm...I named a tree I planted and a few other things. My tree's name is Ted (Bundy)...umm...my computer's name is TRAYCE and my printer's name is PAYNE (cuz it NEVER works so it causes me lots of pain)...hmm I can't remember the rest.
Lawyer: "Any suggestions as to what prevented this from being a murder trial instead of an attempted murder trial?"
Witness: "The victim lived."
TwiztdFidgt

Postby slyragz » Mon Jul 31, 2006 4:28 am

my alias comes from my history. each letter is taken from an individual who made an impact or change in me and my life.

slyragz

sounds like there should be more to it than that, huh? Perhaps there is and I'm only telling you this so you'll not look any deeper.
slyragz

Postby Bombz Away » Tue Oct 09, 2007 6:29 pm

Bit of a story really

A few years back i was having a real Arse of a day at work -bugger all was going right and all the idiots generally making life even more difficult. All came to a point where I literally went Ballistic (andall over a flamin photocopier would you believe it) Someone in the office made the comment Uh Oh Bombs Away which kind of diffused the situation.

Bombz Away. :D
Bombz Away

Postby kit » Wed Oct 10, 2007 7:42 pm

cool name -- good thing I already had one -- your day yesterday sounds like mine -- I was ready to go ballistic over pager clips.
you got a cool name.....i'm lucky I didn't get fired......LOL.
kit

Postby dreab trawets » Thu Sep 02, 2010 6:32 pm

Do you think we should start this up again for the new people who have joined?

Mine is easy
reverse of my name, with e and a reversed.
why?

not a scooby doo

Named my motorbike thelma, cause it is a mystery machine how it keeps on going sometimes.
“After my head has been chopped off, will I still be able to hear, at least for a moment , the sound of my own blood gushing from my neck? That would be the best pleasure to end all pleasure. “
dreab trawets

Location: like someone had combined shrimp and tomato soup and then forgot to put the lid on the blender

Postby i.am.sladist » Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:41 pm

My car's name is Zippy! She's a little white Honda Accord and I inherited her from the rents ... she is named Zippy because it is very easy to speed ... once, on a trip, I had her up to 90 and didn't even realize it ... love my Honda.
Then I have the little blue meanie, The big blue Meanie, the other blue meanie ....
There really is quite a lot in a name!
I am Evil.
I am Woman.
I am Sladist.
i.am.sladist

Postby EZ Rhino » Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:44 am

EZ is 44 today! Almost ready to start telling people to get off my lawn...trouble is, I live out in a rurual area so there aren't many kids running around. :wink:

Been using this name for a while, wonder if I should change it...nahhh.
I wish the media would report more on public service and charity news instead of gossip. It is of much greater value. - Jackie Chan
EZ Rhino

Postby Slade » Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:30 am

Happy Birthday, EZ.

No, keep it.

Slade
Slade

Postby dreab trawets » Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:12 pm

Happy birthday..
21 again with 23 years of experience..
“After my head has been chopped off, will I still be able to hear, at least for a moment , the sound of my own blood gushing from my neck? That would be the best pleasure to end all pleasure. “
dreab trawets

Location: like someone had combined shrimp and tomato soup and then forgot to put the lid on the blender

Postby Mbwun » Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:58 pm

A belated Happy Birthday EZ!!! Hope you had a great day! :D
How hard can it be? - Jeremy Clarkson
Make no mistake, this is a Supercar. Looks good .. goes fast .. nothing else matters. - Jeremy Clarkson

AMBITIOUS, BUT RUBBISH!
Mbwun

PreviousNext

Return to Random Notes