KAMIKAZE

A place for Sladists to share their thoughts on Michael Slade and his work...

Postby GestaltAmigdula » Sat Jan 06, 2007 6:32 pm

This could be a complete miss, but I believe writing Kamikaze and Swastika were a catharsis for Slade - I say that only based on what I've read here at the forum.

Today, I'm about 1/3 through Kamikaze after having purchased it in November - what can I say I'm a workaholic 8-) I'll get around to finishing it when I can along with the book I keep on my nightstand table. Then there's Hannibal Rising, I think I'll wait for spring to get into that one.

It's been a long while since I've posted on the Board - I'll spare the details why I've been away so long. Hopefully I'll be able to post on a more regular basis this year.

Slade, the crash, boom, bam Pacific Northwest turbulence over Christmastime hit my dad's home down in Kent, WA. He and his wife were without power for a little over 24 hours. It had to of been a jolly one, glad to know you made it through.
There is distortion even in the play and dreams of children. -Robert Engler
GestaltAmigdula

I FINALLY READ IT!

Postby dragondreamer » Sat Jan 06, 2007 10:52 pm

and like all others... I couldn't put it down! I love the historical references and how you brought to the forefront in a present novel. It was an awesome read!! I've always been fascinated with our past wars and yet sometimes got bored, mired doen in all the facts.. you two really put it in an interesting light for this book. KUDOS TO YA!!

After not having bought nor read a new Slade book in literally years (I fell off the Earth for a few years I guess) It was great seeing old friends (ie. characters) Including the infamous Binky! And I loved the fog scene with Mad Dog & Ghost Keeper.. that was a good snicker in the middle of the night that woke my hubby up.. LOL!

I was able to get Kamikaze by chance... my bookstore doesn't carry Slade so I was going to order Kamikaze an Swastika, and the clerk says "Oh, someone ordered kamikaze and never picked it up." They'd held it as long as they would and had JUST out it on the shelf! (insert "HAPPY DANCE" here) So now I just haveto wait on Swastika...

Again.. keep up the great work.. I LOVE IT!
<i>"A dreamer is one who can only find his way by moonlight, and his only punishment is that he sees dawn before the rest of the world."
dragondreamer

Postby EZ Rhino » Tue Jan 09, 2007 7:16 pm

Well, I just reread Kamikaze again. I have to say I enjoyed it just as thoroughly the second time around. The gore and the horror were not as prominent as in other Slade offerings but the suspension was surely raised to almost unbearable levels. Especially during the tailing of the suspects through downtown Vancouver.

I knew a few of those streets so reading that part was almost like watching a movie. I also loved how Mad Dog and Ghostkeeper made their arrival in that scene. Too funny!! :D

I was not really familiar with exactly how radiation sickness affects people so the aftermath of the bombing was definitely the most horrific part of the book. :cry:
I wish the media would report more on public service and charity news instead of gossip. It is of much greater value. - Jackie Chan
EZ Rhino

Postby EZ Rhino » Thu Feb 08, 2007 11:14 pm

I wish the media would report more on public service and charity news instead of gossip. It is of much greater value. - Jackie Chan
EZ Rhino

Postby Slade » Mon Feb 12, 2007 6:32 pm

"Following in the tradition of The Civil War, Baseball, and Jazz, Ken Burns's next multipart epic is on World War II—the seminal event of the twentieth century."
Slade

Re: KAMIKAZE

Postby marcd » Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:18 pm

marcd

"It's a rough place, son. In fact, you have to puke twice and show your razor just to get in. Better grow some whiskers if you wanna go to Canada. RONNIE HAWKINS
marcd

Previous

Return to Sladists Welcome!