John Dickson Carr

Sladists are media maniacs...I mean lovers. Movies, Books, Music & Sports are all here.

Postby dreab trawets » Sat Apr 24, 2010 5:58 pm

Saw a christmas special about a magicians house where people kept on disappearing..

And the last one was about somebody being pushed out of a window.

Very cool series.

Mr Slade, how goes your tv series??
“After my head has been chopped off, will I still be able to hear, at least for a moment , the sound of my own blood gushing from my neck? That would be the best pleasure to end all pleasure. “
dreab trawets

Location: like someone had combined shrimp and tomato soup and then forgot to put the lid on the blender

Postby Athena » Sat May 29, 2010 6:34 pm

John Dickson Carr is an excellent author! In the last 20 years, I've read quite a few of the novels published under his own name and also Carter Dickson. The man is a master of the "locked room" mystery, and does have the darndest knack for making you laugh in the most unexpected places.
Athena

Postby dreab trawets » Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:19 pm

I need help from the Sladists....

My 11 year old was asking me about some new stories to read, and i said about locked room mysteries..

I explained a couple to her... A Judas Window scenario, and somebody killed with an icicle.. and her eyes lit up..
More she asked for, and i managed to get a couple more out, but i want to find her a book, with lots and lots of locked room mysteries in..

Now personally i want to give her Ripper, and say go for it, but her mum may not like that..
Any ideas for what book...

Some of the Carr novels are quite wordy for an 11 year old..

Christie??
“After my head has been chopped off, will I still be able to hear, at least for a moment , the sound of my own blood gushing from my neck? That would be the best pleasure to end all pleasure. “
dreab trawets

Location: like someone had combined shrimp and tomato soup and then forgot to put the lid on the blender

Postby Slade » Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:33 pm

d.t.

Hunt down Robert Adey and Douglas Greene’s DEATH LOCKED IN (1987), THE MAMMOTH BOOK OF LOCKED-ROOM MURDERS AND IMPOSSIBLE CRIMES (2000), or Hans Stefan Santesson’s LOCKED ROOM READER (1968).

They're all short stories by various authors.

As for J.D. Carr, get his shorter works like THE THIRD BULLET AND OTHER STORIES OF DETECTION (1954).

Slade
Slade

Postby dreab trawets » Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:08 pm

Thank you for that...
Went and bought the Mammoth book of licked room murders...

Amazon.com had it for $9.51
Amazon.co.UK had it for 1 pence...

Go figure?
Death locked in I will get for myself....

The way her eyes lit up at shooting yourself with a gun on a piece of elastic and having it disappear up the chimney to make it vanish...

Slowly reeling her in...
dreab trawets

Postby Judy » Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:18 pm

When I was even younger than your daughter I never liked reading much until I discovered Nancy Drew, Judy Boulton and Cherrie Ames . . . they led me to an interest in reading that has never waned . . . I was a member of the Mystery Book Club and was introduced to many other authors I had never heard of. That led to joining Book-of-the-Month when I was 14 years old and lifetime love of all books.

You might also interest her in Agatha Christie (I believe I have read all of her offerings years ago) . . . and for court room drama there is always Earl Stanley Gardner and his most famous character Perry Mason.
:)
Judy

Postby Slade » Sat Feb 19, 2011 7:27 pm

d.t.,

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/05/opini ... ml?_r=2&em

Note: 4. The Freddy the Pig series. Published between 1927 and 1958, these 26 books are funny, beautifully written gems. They concern a talking pig, Freddy, who is lazy, messy and sometimes fearful, yet a loyal friend, a first-rate detective and an impressive poet. These were my very favorite books when I was in elementary school. A good one to start with is “Freddy the Detective” or “Freddy Plays Football.” (Avoid the first and weakest, “Freddy Goes to Florida.”)

When I was in Elementary School, I loved that series. And I suspect the series holds up well today.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freddy_the_Pig

Don't you love fans...I mean REAL fans!

http://www.freddythepig.org/friendsoffreddy.html

http://www.freddythepig.org/

The 2011 Friends of Freddy Convention, March 25-27, 2011, will be held in Fresno, CA.

There you go, Judy.
Slade

Postby dreab trawets » Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:50 pm

Real fans, or scary, runaway from stalking fans, who dress up in the costumes??

Rachel loves these at the moment..
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mr._Men

Megan hasn;t read the Mammoth book yet, but seems to be interested in books about kids being abused, and then fighting back to have normal adult life..

And i have no idea where that has come from.
dreab trawets

Postby PohlSE » Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:16 am

Ladies and Gentleman,

My 11 year old daughter decided to begin reading The Three Coffins. We had a brief discussion of locked room mysteries and off she went to explore this strange new world...

After an hour of reading she walked into the room and announced that, "This is the best book ever!" Another brief discussion ensued about Fell's explanation of locked room scenarios, which she is looking forward to.

She then announced that once she conquers Carr she'd like to move on to Christie...

...And then she wants to move on to Slade...

I didn't tell her no, but I told her that she needs to be older before she takes on Slade.
PohlSE
Webmaster

Postby Slade » Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:36 am

PohlSE,

Tell your daughter that Slade is reading alongside her. Because I devoured Carr at her age, it's been a while, so I'm currently re-reading THE MAD HATTER MYSTERY.

We have 2 resident Carr experts at the site: MM and raasnio. So they can direct you to the best of the best.

Slade
Slade

Postby dreab trawets » Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:20 am

So my 11 year old gets hooked..
Your 11 year old gets hooked...

Scary...

Though i think mine just likes the explanations.

I am reading the Mammoth book, and loving it.
Some nice slights of hand, especially with phone booths
dreab trawets

Postby Slade » Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:47 pm

Re Agatha Christie, this will show on PBS next week:

http://www.aptonline.org/catalog.nsf/vL ... E+CODE+THE

http://itre.cis.upenn.edu/~myl/language ... 02728.html

What stimulates the brain is a fascinating subject:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-12541117
Slade

Postby raasnio » Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:35 pm

dreab,

Here are some Carr novels that I recommend for your 11 year old:

The Case of the Constant Suicides

The Mad Hatter Mystery

The Four False Weapons

When I was 11 I was reading Agatha Christie and if I had known about Carr I would have been reading his novels as well. Mysteries intrigue and inspire. They can also make you think. Perfect for a young person, I believe.
The most merciful thing in the world... is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. - H. P. Lovecraft
raasnio
techno-guru / co-administrator

Postby Slade » Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:42 pm

d.t. & PohlSE,

Read this thread from the 1st page on and you'll get a good grasp of Carr. Here's MM's list of favorites:

THE JUDAS WINDOW
THE THREE COFFINS
THE BURNING COURT
THE CURSE OF THE BRONZE LAMP
THE CROOKED HINGE
THE MAD HATTER MYSTERY
HAG'S NOOK
HE WHO WHISPERS
THE DEVIL IN VELVET
THE CASE OF THE CONSTANT SUICIDES

And here's another ranking. It's for Fell, but the others are in the Menu:

http://www.mysterylist.com/carr2.htm

Slade
Slade

Postby dreab trawets » Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:28 am

If only i could find some of the older writers stories from 1900 onwards..

What intrigue me are:

Jacques Futrelle.... The Problem of Cell 13
(the author was killed on the Titanic..)

G.K. Chesterton
5 volumes containing locked room mystery stories introducing Father Brown..

Clayton Lawson.... Death from a Top Hat / footprints on the ceiling / The Headless Lady.

And somebody who went by the psuedonym of Hake Talbot..
The Hangmans Handyman (1942)
Rim of the Pit (1944)

All these intrigue me..

Anybody help?
dreab trawets

PreviousNext

Return to Multi-Media