Slade's gone MySpace?

A place for Sladists to share their thoughts on Michael Slade and his work...

Postby i.am.sladist » Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:03 am

Yes, I'll be sure to do that once I figure out how ...
I am Evil.
I am Woman.
I am Sladist.
i.am.sladist

Postby Mbwun » Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:55 pm

When you're logged in, you'll see a little yellow tag on that black bar running across the top of your profile page (I think it might have a number in it). That indicates you've got something waiting for you - friend request, private message, some kind of notification, etc.

Just click on it.
How hard can it be? - Jeremy Clarkson
Make no mistake, this is a Supercar. Looks good .. goes fast .. nothing else matters. - Jeremy Clarkson

AMBITIOUS, BUT RUBBISH!
Mbwun

Postby Mbwun » Sun Jul 17, 2011 4:37 pm

Wow!

Clicking on Jack's and Slade's friends turns up the fact that many of them don't seem to have logged into their MySpace accounts in a year or so. Seems kind of sad, to tell you the truth.

I remember at the time when Slade put his page up, and I put the page for Jack Whyte up, there being talk of introducing MySpace author pages, in a similar vein to the MySpace music pages. I guess that plan must have gone by the wayside.

Looks like quite a few people have deleted their accounts altogether, as Jack's friends list is down by almost 100 people from its highest number. Slade's seems to be down by somewhere around 1,000 from what I can recall it being at its highest.

But, I still think, as I've said to PohlSE, that, if the Michael Slade page is going to remain there, and not be deleted, that someone really needs to tend to it, and make it look a little less like it has been abandoned. It just doesn't seem right to leave it looking like this:

http://www.myspace.com/386177519

I know that I had been thinking for quite some time now, that I really should tend to Jack's page. I feel a whole lot better now that I've gotten it all spruced up again. What do you think of the result?

http://www.myspace.com/dreamofeagles
Make no mistake, this is a Supercar. Looks good .. goes fast .. nothing else matters. - Jeremy Clarkson

AMBITIOUS, BUT RUBBISH!
Mbwun

Postby Mbwun » Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:49 pm

I have to admit, I could never really see where being on MySpace, or any other social network would work all that well to promote yourself - even when I put Jack's page up. I really can't see how being on Facebook would be any better for promoting yourself though.

But, I guess the more places you put yourself, the more things that will show up in web search results. That's why I would be kind of sad to see Slade take his MySpace page down - like so many others have done - rather than be spruced up again. He's built up an impressive number of friends to the page, and that really looks good on him.

But, it might be an idea to be on Facebook, and Twitter too. You can sync your Twitter account to your Facebook account, so when you tweet, it automatically updates your status on Facebook. And you can also sync your MySpace account to your Twitter account. All the information I've seen talks about updates to your status on MySpace, automatically being tweeted via Twitter via the syncing, but I've seen updates to people's MySpace statuses, saying that they've come from Twitter, so maybe the reverse is true as well.

So, a person might be able to tweet something on Twitter, and have it go to both Facebook, and MySpace. It's definitely something to ponder when you're trying to decide on one place, over another.

AMBITIOUS, BUT RUBBISH!
Mbwun

Postby Mbwun » Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:04 pm

Oh and, if you want to see a thoroughly useless social network website, just try signing up for a Bebo account one day.

I did a few years back, after reading that it was one of the top three social networking sites (along with MySpace and Facebook).

What a waste of space on the internet - it has absolutely no function whatsoever. I could not figure out a single thing that it would be good for.

AMBITIOUS, BUT RUBBISH!
Mbwun

Postby Mbwun » Sun Jul 24, 2011 5:39 pm

After being handed over control of the page yesterday, and adding a few things today, I've pretty much finished what I wanted to do with the page. There might be a few tweaks here and there, but that's about it.

So, what do you all think?

If any of you who still have MySpace pages would care to leave a comment at the bottom of the page, it would be appreciated. Most of the older comments seem to have disappeared off the page, and it's looking a bit skinny.

AMBITIOUS, BUT RUBBISH!
Mbwun

Postby GINGER » Sun Jul 24, 2011 6:09 pm

Very cool Mbwun..
One side of me says I would like to talk to her, date her. The other side of me says I wonder how her head would look on a stick (Edmund Kemper)
GINGER

Location: Everybody needs a little madness, or you would never cut the rope and become free.

Postby Mbwun » Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:10 pm

Well, now that I've figured out how to encode the marquis, with the drop down video player you can install on your page, I really with Penguin had seen fit to created a trailer for RED SNOW, the way they did for Jack Whyte's THE FOREST LAIRD.

See what I did with the trailer for the book here:

http://www.myspace.com/dreamofeagles

I really wish I could do that on Slade's page, but putting the trailer for CRUCIFIED there would probably date the page a bit.

Should I do it anyway?

AMBITIOUS, BUT RUBBISH!
Mbwun

Postby Mbwun » Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:35 pm

I went ahead and put the CRUCIFIED trailer in the drop down box. What do you think?

AMBITIOUS, BUT RUBBISH!
Mbwun

Postby Mbwun » Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:41 pm

I changed the background theme for the page.

For some reason, for the past few days, the colour of the text for the titles of the modules has stopped working, and the titles are now just black text. Fine if you have a light coloured area where that text appears, not so fine if that area is black - they all just disappeared on that black background.

Hopefully MySpace will get its act together, and get the title colours working again, but until such time as that, the current background is the best I could figure out for it.

AMBITIOUS, BUT RUBBISH!
Mbwun

Postby Mbwun » Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:16 pm

Had to fix some of the book jacket images on the page. Specifically, the ones for KAMIKAZE, and CRUCIFIED. I'd been linking them into the page from this website, and for some reason, they were refusing to show up.

It's strange because, with the exception of the cover image for PRIMAL SCREAM, which is a scan I did of my copy of the hardcover, all the rest of the images are linked into the MySpace page from their respective drawers in The Morgue.

AMBITIOUS, BUT RUBBISH!
Mbwun

Postby ScottDBetson » Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:39 am

MySpace.com is soo old school it was b4 facebook became popular
The Names Betson, Scott Betson, and welcome to the Forum of No Return
ScottDBetson

Postby dreab trawets » Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:38 am

Yeah but sometimes old school is best...

You see a much more dedicated fan / person on the older stuff.
Lots of people jump on the new sites, but for real stories and proper fans, you go to Myspace, and even those that came before..

Not everything new is better..
Just more shiny!!
:lol:
“After my head has been chopped off, will I still be able to hear, at least for a moment , the sound of my own blood gushing from my neck? That would be the best pleasure to end all pleasure. “
dreab trawets

Location: like someone had combined shrimp and tomato soup and then forgot to put the lid on the blender

Postby Mbwun » Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:55 pm

My philosophy is that, if you've got something to sell, the more places you have a presence in online, the better.

Slade's page got a bit neglected for a while, I offered to fix it up, and now it's pretty much a static page highlighting his work, and directing people to this website.

AMBITIOUS, BUT RUBBISH!
Mbwun

Re: Slade's gone MySpace?

Postby Mbwun » Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:52 pm

Someone keeps messing with the book jacket images in the Morgue, and changing the URLs associated with them - had to fix more images on the MySpace page today.

Now it would seem that I'm going to have to scan my hardcover copy of EVIL EYE, as the image in the Morgue seems to have been changed to one with the bottom chopped off.

Hmmmmmm!

And it would seem that MySpace isn't as dead of a place as a lot of people think it is - they added a million new users over the past month.

AMBITIOUS, BUT RUBBISH!
Mbwun

PreviousNext

Return to Sladists Welcome!