Special "X" Wallpaper

A place for Sladists to share their thoughts on Michael Slade and his work...

Blue Eyes

Postby wmsimon » Fri Nov 25, 2005 2:33 pm

Au contraire, Pohl....you've not met the newest addition to my family, Mason. At eight months, the little dude has the blue eyes Paul Newman *wishes* he has....:) (Not that I'm a Biased Uncle, you understand!)
"As opposed to profiling serial killers and sexual predators, Writing is a Lonely and Depressing Profession...." Darin Morgan
wmsimon

Postby PohlSE » Fri Nov 25, 2005 2:52 pm

Congratulations! A little belated, but congrats to the proud Uncle. :)

My daughter was born with "baby blues" as well, eventually those gene's kicked in and they turned hazel... Which didn't bother me at all. She was also bald for two and half years... Which did. :?
PohlSE
Webmaster

Postby PohlSE » Sat Dec 03, 2005 4:27 am

Just so everyone knows, I haven't given up on the wallpapers; this is a crazy time of the year with Christmas all by itself but when you add my daughter's birthday (tomorrow), the end of the semester for this Photoshop class coming shortly, this new cat keeping us all awake at night (his name was almost Zinc due to the color of his ears, but my daughter preferred to call him Blue, for the color of his eyes), and a plethora of other stuff that has chosen the busiest time of the year to occur, and there just isn't any time right now for much of anything.

I'm hoping normalcy returns soon.... I'm not counting on it, but I'm hoping.
PohlSE
Webmaster

Postby krista in ma » Fri Dec 30, 2005 1:27 am

First two attempts at Special X number 12... Thoughts? Bad? Good? Is the "tagline" or the second image inappropriate or offensive or in poor taste? :?

~ Spc. Byron W. Fouty, MI ~ Staff Sgt. Alex R. Jimenez, MA ~
They have served our nation; together they are home.
~ Staff Sgt. Keith Matthew Maupin ~
An American Son Returns Home
krista in ma

Postby EZ Rhino » Fri Dec 30, 2005 4:28 pm

Good stuff! Not inappropriate or offensive at all.
I wish the media would report more on public service and charity news instead of gossip. It is of much greater value. - Jackie Chan
EZ Rhino

Postby Slade » Sat Dec 31, 2005 12:07 am

Krista,

EZ's right. Good work and great images. Leave out the definition of kamikaze, and the tag line also works for the atomic bomb attack on Hiroshima. You could do one with the bomb blast in PoulSE's second # 12. The novel span the entire war.

Slade
Slade

Postby Slade » Sun Jan 01, 2006 7:01 pm

To think this all started with a simple post from wmsimon:

Okay, I'll tell y'all up front, I CANNOT create anything like this. BUT, I bet someone in the group can.

On TV, we always see computers with the organizational logo used as wallpaper; the FBI, CTU on 24, even the fictional Montecito in Las Vegas has a logo wallpaper.

So....the question is, what would computer wallpaper/background for Special "X" look like? And, of course, if anyone could create/design it and post it, I think most members would be grateful.

As you can see at the Slade Website, these images have a use far beyond "wallpaper." They bring the novel to life for people who have yet to read it.

So post away. Each day, I start by wondering what the Board will bring, and the images put me in the mind to take the fantasy farther.

Slade
Slade

Postby raasnio » Mon Jan 02, 2006 2:13 am

Save a notepad copy of each of your links so we can do another wallpaper grouping after the next book comes out. These are great. 8-)
The most merciful thing in the world... is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. - H. P. Lovecraft
raasnio
techno-guru / co-administrator

Postby MarylandManson » Mon Jan 02, 2006 11:23 am

...the language of flowers?

http://img383.imageshack.us/img383/6310 ... ze55po.gif

Background info:

http://militaryhistory.about.com/cs/wor ... yamato.htm

"Okinawa marked the first American landing on Japanese territory and the Japanese word for ‘Divine Wind’, Kamikaze, soon became known throughout the American Pacific Fleet. Between April 6-7 and June 21-22, the Japanese launched ten waves of Kamikaze suicide planes against the American fleet. The code name for this operation was Kikusui, named after the chrysanthemum crest of Kusunoki Masashige, a 14th century hero and martyr."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kusunoki_Masashige

Cheers! MM
MarylandManson
co-administrator

Postby MarylandManson » Tue Jan 03, 2006 1:03 pm

MarylandManson
co-administrator

Postby Slade » Tue Jan 03, 2006 5:08 pm

MM,

It took me a moment to find "Michael Slade." That's very sneaky...and very good.

Keep 'em coming.

Slade
Slade

Postby MarylandManson » Tue Jan 03, 2006 7:36 pm

The black, white, and red palettes are fine, but...

http://img287.imageshack.us/img287/6871 ... ze77ga.gif

I'm very curious to see what others envision!

MM
MarylandManson
co-administrator

Postby Slade » Tue Jan 03, 2006 8:17 pm

So am I!
Slade

Postby MarylandManson » Wed Jan 04, 2006 12:41 pm

For icons on the right...

http://img303.imageshack.us/img303/1052 ... ze86vj.gif

...or on both sides...

http://img500.imageshack.us/img500/6646 ... ze96wi.gif

By the way, the images look a bit rough-hewn or grainy because of image resolution. They're much clearer in PowerPoint, which I'm using to make them. Short of PhotoShop, does anyone know how to make .gif files of better resolution?

And if anyone wants a sharper image for desktop use and can handle a PowerPoint file, feel free to pm me, and I'll email the PP file to you.

Cheers! MM
MarylandManson
co-administrator

PreviousNext

Return to Sladists Welcome!