To THE GHOULS...

A place for Sladists to share their thoughts on Michael Slade and his work...

To THE GHOULS...

Postby Slade » Fri Jan 20, 2006 12:54 am

Those of you who joined Slade at Poe's Grave for the reading of "The Telltale Heart" at midnight on Friday 13th will find this of interest. Some folks don't know when to stand back...

BALTIMORE (AP) - For the 57th straight year, a mystery man paid tribute to Edgar Allan Poe by placing roses and a bottle of cognac on the writer's grave to mark his birthday.

Some of the 25 spectators drawn to a tiny, locked graveyard in downtown Baltimore for the ceremony climbed over the walls of the site and were "running all over the place trying to find out how the guy gets in," according to Jeff Jerome, the most faithful viewer of the event.

Jerome, curator of the Poe House and Museum, said early Thursday that he had to chase people out of the graveyard, fearing they would interfere with the mystery visitor's ceremony.

"In letting people know about this tribute, I've been contributing to these people's desire to catch this guy," Jerome said. "It's such a touching tribute, and it's been disrupted by the actions of a few people trying to interfere and expose this guy."

Jerome has seen the mysterious visitor every Jan. 19 since 1976.

Poe, who wrote poems and horror stories such as "The Raven" and "The Telltale Heart," died Oct. 7, 1849 in Baltimore at the age of 40 after collapsing in a tavern.
Slade

Postby MarylandManson » Fri Jan 20, 2006 4:19 am

Ugh, what a poor showing of disrespect from a barrelful of bad apples. It's one thing to wonder how the magician does a trick, quite another to forcibly look up his sleeve. Let's hope that the visitor isn't dissuaded from future tributes.

MM
MarylandManson
co-administrator

Postby Rush_Grrl » Fri Jan 20, 2006 4:24 pm

Well, that is certainly disrespectful! Some people have no class whatsoever!
Rush_Grrl

Postby Mafus » Sat Jan 21, 2006 2:37 pm

Absolutely shameful. Saw this on CNN.com. Some people aren't happy unless they're ruining a good thing.

On a brighter note, Suzanne and I will be attending the 197th birthday celebration at the Poe Museum here in Richmond tomorrow:

http://www.poemuseum.org/
"I know you gentleman have been through a lot but, when you find the time, I'd rather not spend the rest of this winter...TIED TO THIS @#%&ING COUCH!!!"
Mafus

Postby moonflee » Sat Jan 21, 2006 3:31 pm

That is just horrible.
Nothing’s so loud
As hearing when we lie
The truth is not kind
And you’ve said neither am I
- toad the wet sprocket
moonflee

Postby Slade » Wed Feb 14, 2007 3:30 am

Sladists,

2007 is shaping up to be much busier than expected. Not only am I deep in the next novel, and consulting on a legal case or two, but now I've signed on to be a "detective" on a 13-part TV show (more on that later).

Unfortunately, the timing is such that I won't be able to attend the World Horror Convention in Toronto as planned. It's been a while since The Ghouls congregated in Baltimore, so hopefully there will be an opportunity in 2008.

Slade
Slade

Postby steelclaw32 » Wed Feb 14, 2007 9:44 am

but now I've signed on to be a "detective" on a 13-part TV show (more on that later).
:D :D

Now that's a teaser to beat ALL teasers. I can't WAIT.!
:P :P :P :P
steelclaw32
There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy. Hamlet: Act 1, Scene 5.
steelclaw32

Postby raasnio » Wed Feb 14, 2007 11:59 pm

Slade wrote:Sladists,

2007 is shaping up to be much busier than expected. Not only am I deep in the next novel, and consulting on a legal case or two, but now I've signed on to be a "detective" on a 13-part TV show (more on that later).

Unfortunately, the timing is such that I won't be able to attend the World Horror Convention in Toronto as planned. It's been a while since The Ghouls congregated in Baltimore, so hopefully there will be an opportunity in 2008.

Slade

Sounds like the wait will be worth it. You'll have plenty more to talk about in '08. 8-)
raasnio
techno-guru / co-administrator

Postby moonflee » Sat Feb 17, 2007 9:34 pm

2008 is good. I'm a patient man.
Nothing’s so loud
As hearing when we lie
The truth is not kind
And you’ve said neither am I
- toad the wet sprocket
moonflee

Postby Mafus » Mon Feb 19, 2007 1:58 pm

Events have conspired to prevent us from attending as well. Can't wait to hear about this 13-part TV show, though.
"I know you gentleman have been through a lot but, when you find the time, I'd rather not spend the rest of this winter...TIED TO THIS @#%&ING COUCH!!!"
Mafus

Postby Rush_Grrl » Fri Apr 13, 2007 3:20 am

Congrats on the TV bit! That should be very cool!

Our Ghoulish paths shall cross again when the planets are properly aligned! Here's to 2008!
Rush_Grrl

Postby Slade » Sat Aug 04, 2007 5:11 pm

Ghouls,

Word is the 2009 World Horror Convention will be held in Winnipeg, Manitoba, where I spent my first eight years, and where HEADHUNTER was born.

That would be an ideal site to reconvene The Ghouls (original members from Baltimore 2004 at Poe's Grave, plus any new blood that wants in the vein), because we could have a ghost tour.

We could walk the Witchy Path, and the Ghosty Path; visit the site where I saw the first headhunter cover on the men's magazine; and stand on the spot where I was attacked by the mad dog, Sparky.

Slade
Slade

Postby Rush_Grrl » Tue Aug 07, 2007 11:29 pm

I'm in! :D

Maybe if I apply for a passport now, i will have it in time! :P
Rush_Grrl

Postby Slade » Wed Aug 08, 2007 1:51 am

Rush,

The more I think about it, the more fun Winnipeg will be. There are so many stories to tell, and we'll be standing on the spot where each took place.

Often, when I'm standing on a piece of ground, I find myself asking, "I wonder what took place here in the past?" A battle, a murder, a love affair, a scandal, etc? Or I find myself wandering around town, and remembering what establishment stood somewhere in the past, and all the good times I had.

Sadly, most of what's built there now pales in comparison.

Sparky, I remembered. But I forgot about Dempsey. So we'll have that story too.

Also, Manitoba is where the RCMP began, so we'll have all those historical sites:

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/factsheets/fact_history_e.htm

Slade
Slade

Postby Slade » Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:22 am

The real Sladeville isn't Vancouver, British Columbia. The real Sladeville is Winnipeg, Manitoba.

You know the story. That's where I was attacked by a rabid mad dog named Sparky. The connection would morph into the psychotic killer in HEADHUNTER.

That's also where I came down with the flu while walking the Witchy Path through the woods that led to my school, and was later sent home after throwing up in my Grade One class. My dad picked me up by chance at the bus stop on his way home from an overnight flight, and we stopped at the drugstore where I hallucinated over the "headhunter cover" on a men's magazine. That would later get fictionalized in the "What's Up, Doc?" section of HEADHUNTER.

Where I lived - Wildwood Park - was in Fort Garry, a section of Winnipeg named for the 19th century fort. From there, Inspector Wilfred Blake, my mad Mountie (based on Sir William Francis Butler), made his trek by dogsled across the Great Lone Land in the dead of winter, and later recommended formation of the Mounted Police. When the Mounties began their Great March West to suppress the whisky traders occupying Fort Whoop-Up, they left from Fort Garry:

http://www.virtualmuseum.ca/Exhibitions ... major.html

It has now been confirmed that the World Horror Convention 2009 will be held in Winnipeg from April 30 to May 3, 2009:

http://www.whc2009.org/

One of the Guests of Honor will be F. Paul Wilson (Repairman Jack), my old drinking buddy, who once helped me shut down a bar in L.A. with too many shots of tequila!

The definition of Sladist is anyone who has read all 13 novels. But within that group is a sub-cult known as The Ghouls. A Ghoul is any Sladist who has made a pilgrimage, and there has only been one prilgrimage so far: the reading at Poe's Grave in Baltimore at midnight on Friday the 13th, 2004, during HorrorFind.

Don't anyone book anything until I say, but who would be up for a second meeting of The Ghouls around the World Horror Convention in Winnipeg next year? We could take a side trip out to Fort Garry to see where Inspector Wilfred Blake began his rampage, and then go into Wildwood Park, past the school and where the drugstore once stood, to the site of Sparky's attack. The trek would end with a masked gathering of The Ghouls in the woods on the Witchy Path (yes, it's still there) at night, for a reading from HEADHUNTER and Novel Number 14, coming later that year.

We could YouTube it.

So, if the word goes out, "All aboard, Ghouls," who thinks they might want to ride with me? We're going back to the beginning, as far down in the pit as you can ride the Hellbound Train.

Slade
Slade

Next

Return to Sladists Welcome!